Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United 747 Farewell & Remembrances Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
...Now, I just need a last-minute equipment swap from a 757-300 to a 747-400 SFO-ORD this Friday. Is that too much to ask?
Yeah - how about some "Surprise and delight" 747 substitutions? I'd like to be in 2A on a 747 LAX-LAS instead of 2A on a E175 in 2 1/2 weeks.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
I'm not glued to United announcements 24/7, I have to say that United has completely botched the opportunity to do this in style.
Good point! Here's my dilemma:

I have been reaching out to the United team on Facebook since mid March about the "last flight" and have always gotten non committal responses. With no other information to rely upon, I booked an SFO-ICN-SFO round trip with a return on 29 October. Keep in mind it was F on the way out and C on the return, and I paid more than I've ever spent on an airline ticket just for the nostalgia. Now, UA has pulled the rug out from under us and added this "really the last flight" in November. Unfortunately, I was tied down on some important family business yesterday and the flight was sold out before I could respond.

I'm now stuck with a very expensive flight that isn't really the last one and feeling like I've been had. Interestingly, the final flight would also have been my 2MM with United.

Today, I noticed the Buy on Board menu in the seatback advertising the end of the 747 routes, with a very specific mention that it would end in October. Seriously, they just figured out that SFO-HNL was the original 747 flight? Some marketing genius thought a Twitter announcement was the way to blow this out without considering the many loyal flyers who actually spent countless BIS miles in this airplane for decades?

Fortunately, there was a schedule change on the return connection that has given me the option to cancel the whole itinerary. UA would have gotten an extra 2.5K over the minimum 1K PQM this year for this flight. Now, I can cancel and just do the minimum to make it over the goal post.

Thoughts on sticking with the "also ran" flight or just cancelling?
If you already have something booked, and still want to have a "farewell flight", just stick with it. Not that many flights left...

I'm doing a one way on next Fri SFO-PVG in 1K. Figured I might as well get value out of my miles. That will be my final UA 747 flight. My return will be via NRT-LAX on JL/AA. I'll be in their 787. Fitting given that I'll be leaving on one of the older planes and coming back on one of the newer ones.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 20, 2017 at 4:46 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Well, I thought I took my final 747 flights but I managed to book one last flight, SFO-ICN in a month. The timing kinda sucks, have to take a 6am flight form the east coast. UD was pretty open, picked 15K.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Booked SFO>NRT>ICN>SFO to try out the 773 for the first time, 5th freedom for first and last time, and 747 for the last time. R space open on all legs! Weekend before it retires. Only sad thing was the UD only had one seat left (I took the last one, friend is down below, hoping one more opens up between now and then)
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, American AAdvantage, Hilton Honors, SPG
Well this sucks! I booked UA892 from ICN-SFO on October 29th months ago! Guessing I'm not alone given that First and Business have been sold out for a long time on this flight. That's what I get for staying away from FT for a couple of days I guess. Congrats to those who got seats, guess it wasn't meant to be :-( Now the question, cancel Seoul or go anyway?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
some images from image.salescomm.united.com

These are United's images.

David
Attached Images          
Pat89339 and luv2ctheworld like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
These are United's images.

David
Thanks to the illustration of the upper deck, I now know why the UA lounges were called the "Red Carpet Club".

Too bad they don't have the "battleship grey" livery... it has grown on me.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Very nice photos (assume courtesy of UA) ^

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld

"battleship grey" has NEVER grown on me, ditto the last Tulip reincarnation.

That said, UACO COUA should have stuck with the Tulip.

IMHO, sCO tail is somewhat timeless; sUA Tulip is somewhat Iconic (last incarnation being somewhat lame).

But my vote goes to lame iconic over timeless.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Thanks to the illustration of the upper deck, I now know why the UA lounges were called the "Red Carpet Club".

Well, if you want battleship grey (and two tulips) - try this 747 towel.

David
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Very nice photos (assume courtesy of UA) ^

"battleship grey" has NEVER grown on me, ditto the last Tulip reincarnation.

That said, UACO COUA should have stuck with the Tulip.

IMHO, sCO tail is somewhat timeless; sUA Tulip is somewhat Iconic (last incarnation being somewhat lame).

But my vote goes to lame iconic over timeless.
gosh I loved the final tail treatment on the PMUA livery. The prior 2 resemble a tulip sticker placed on the tail. The last one was sort of integrated. And the tiny bit of red on the tulip nest to the word United. and the winged letter T. So many little details working so well.

i may risk the wrath of spouse and buy that towel! "Worldwide service" made that livery work for me.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
gosh I loved the final tail treatment on the PMUA livery. The prior 2 resemble a tulip sticker placed on the tail. The last one was sort of integrated. And the tiny bit of red on the tulip nest to the word United. and the winged letter T. So many little details working so well.

i may risk the wrath of spouse and buy that towel! "Worldwide service" made that livery work for me.
You could buy two towels and have a set to share!

David
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by twindocstravel
Well this sucks! I booked UA892 from ICN-SFO on October 29th months ago! Guessing I'm not alone given that First and Business have been sold out for a long time on this flight. That's what I get for staying away from FT for a couple of days I guess. Congrats to those who got seats, guess it wasn't meant to be :-( Now the question, cancel Seoul or go anyway?
I'll see you on board if you stay on the ICN flight. And if ICN still exists by the end of next month.

Originally Posted by twindocstravel
How did you get on the waiting list? I called customer service and they said they said there was no waitlist.
Right. Agents aren't allowed to waitlist a flight that is sold out. Although when there is a will there is a way...
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
And if ICN still exists by the end of next month.

As a Seoul-ite I say: "hah."
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: None anymore
Maybe I'm in the minority but I hated the last tulip livery. It looked so... dated especially compared to the current livery (ex-CO)

I will say though that I loved battleship grey, wish they had kept it but used a sans serif typeface. The serif is what dated the livery IMO.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by warrenw
Maybe I'm in the minority but I hated the last tulip livery. It looked so... dated especially compared to the current livery (ex-CO).
I've never liked the Bingo Cage. The Tulip will always be iconic, and hopefully someday UA will come to its senses and restore it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.