764 fleet returning to EWR

Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
764 fleet returning to EWR

"United Airlines will shift its fleet of Boeing 767-400ER aircraft to its Newark Liberty International airport hub from October, to address continuing issues with its flight attendant groups."

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...issues-440216/
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Still can't get their labor right. Pathetic on both sides.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:38 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Happy to hear they're doing well by their work force (which ultimately benefits them as a company and its culture as well as us as flyers) -- but sad that they can't do this until October of next year because of software... how long has this been in the works? Crazy.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
EWR lost a bunch of lines for September, putting some pretty senior flight attendants back on reserve, and there has been a bit of an uproar. At the same time, with the 787 coming to IAD, there really isn't a need for the 764 there, which has similar capacity.

Unacceptable that it's taking so long to get the workgroups on a combined scheduling platform, but that's par for the course.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by EWR764
EWR lost a bunch of lines for September, putting some pretty senior flight attendants back on reserve
Can anyone provide a translation of this for someone not in the industry (lines?? reserve)??
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:45 pm

Looks like EWR-FRA, a 772 route for a long time, is going to 764 later this year.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by drowelf
Can anyone provide a translation of this for someone not in the industry (lines?? reserve)??
Apologies for the jargon... put simply, just another way to say that particular domicile (crew base) has fewer flying positions than in previous months. I'm guessing these are the "concerns" referenced in the article.

Moving some 764s to EWR probably also frees some slack in the 777 schedule to accommodate Polaris mods without a major step down in capacity if a 763 is swapped onto a key route like EWRFRA as noted.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
Indeed. The sub-CO/sub-UA foolishness makes management and labor both look inept and pathetic.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
What's pathetic is they can't come up with the automation for a common crew management system until October 2018. I understand these things are likely not "off the shelf" products but come on, they've known they would need a common crew platform since they merged over 5 years ago.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:41 pm

So can I fly to Switzerland ex-IAD in a 3-class 767 again? Sounds good to me.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
But not if they move the 2 class 763s to IAD.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drowelf
Having a line means they have a predefined itinerary they know in advance they will be flying (and can bid on based on seniority). Being on reserve means they are essentially on call for any last-minute scheduling changes due to weather, illness, etc. So the translation is that there were fewer trips available to be worked, meaning more uncertainty for more FAs based at EWR.

(I'm not in the industry either, but have picked up the jargon over the years).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
What's pathetic is they can't come up with the automation for a common crew management system until October 2018. I understand these things are likely not "off the shelf" products but come on, they've known they would need a common crew platform since they merged over 5 years ago.
You're too kind - it's nearly seven years ago now: 10/1/2010. Besides, they should have known they were going to need common crew scheduling even before they made an offer, let alone waiting for the financial transaction to close.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Amen. Both the 1-1-1 GF cabin and the 2-2-2 J cabin are so much better than the 772.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Pathetic is being nice. So let me see... if a new FA is hired tomorrow what system are they being scheduled with? The fact that all UA FAs are not using the same system is BS. "Fire" one half and then "rehire" them into the other system.

Am I oversimplifying this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.