Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the Least Pricey Way to Fly Horizontal to IAD/EWR-HNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Least Pricey Way to Fly Horizontal to IAD/EWR-HNL?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
You people are freaking brilliant...... :-) Thanks!
Been there, done that. Best trick currently.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
waitlist an RPU is definitely the way to go. Make sure to use a 1k or GS RPU for best priority.
this is a super tough route to clear RPUs. If a position to a cheap 'P' starting point is an option I would go for that.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:26 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
this is a super tough route to clear RPUs. If a position to a cheap 'P' starting point is an option I would go for that.
Agreed. Look at the premium cabin seat maps on any given Thursday-Monday on ORD-HNL or OGG (Saturdays) in November-January, for example. There are flights in early November (far from peak season) that are sold out in F already. Other flights, 5 months ahead have 3 or 4 seats left for sale. You'll see an odd Tuesday ORD-HNL with a dozen F seats left, but I wouldn't even count on those for an RPU.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
The AMA is having its interim meeting in HNL over the Veterans Day long weekend - a couple of thousand simultaneous arrivals many of whom can fly paid first.

There re is a flight set HNL-SFO then SFO-ORD that is 777 with lie flats. I find some R available

But United is making very meager R available into and out of the islands.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
waitlist an RPU is definitely the way to go. Make sure to use a 1k or GS RPU for best priority.
RPUs are prioritized by status of the flyer, not the account they came from.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by raehl311
That's not true. I sponsor friends and they always get my GS status. It gets waitlisted for PN instead of R. HUGE difference.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by raehl311
That's not true. I sponsor friends and they always get my GS status. It gets waitlisted for PN instead of R. HUGE difference..
That is only half right.

Everyone is waitlisted based on their individual status (unless on a PNR with a higher status member).

HOWEVER, GS upgrade instruments clear into PN regardless of the status of the individual. While all other upgrade instruments clear into R.

So a non-GS passenger using GS instrument will be prioritized based on their status BUT clear into PN -- which is a major benefit.

There is no equivalent 1K instrument benefit. Because 1K instruments clear into R and as the passenger is waitlisted based on their individual status (except in the case of a joint PNR).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is only half right.

Everyone is waitlisted based on their individual status (unless on a PNR with a higher status member).

HOWEVER, GS upgrade instruments clear into PN regardless of the status of the individual. While all other upgrade instruments clear into R.

So a non-GS passenger using GS instrument will be prioritized based on their status BUT clear into PN -- which is a major benefit.

There is no equivalent 1K instrument benefit. Because 1K instruments clear into R and as the passenger is waitlisted based on their individual status (except in the case of a joint PNR).
Thx for the clarification. Makes sense. I just know my RPU and GPUs have 100% clearance rate when I sponsor friends and when I was a 1K, the rate was less than 50%. I check the receipts and they all say PN after clearing, so this is aligned to what you described.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Been there, done that. Best trick currently.

Too right. Last year I visited HNL, this year it'll be LIH.

Both times reposition LHR/YYZ (8x daily flights).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In a casket? On second thought, maybe that is too high a price to pay...
The cheapest casket at Costco is about $1K, not including shipping on UA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.