Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

70+ minute baggage claim waits at YYC, no irrop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70+ minute baggage claim waits at YYC, no irrop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:12 pm
cur
Original Poster

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
bag is damaged. it's one of those 4 wheeled samsonite hardshell. the bottom of the aluminum covering of the retractable handle part is snapped off. baggage agent in yyc said "we don't cover handles" and refused to initiate a claim. apart from the fact it's not a handle that's broken, let alone a protruding part, i don't see anywhere in the conditions of carriage that handles are not covered, which is moot anyways. golly ua is getting annoying.

just got an email of apology and $150 etc for the baggage throw-in delay. i asked for 0, expected maybe $20. so very impressed and tbh i look forward to encountering more of these issues.

but also they gave me a $175 etc for a four (4) day baggage delay, during christmas (before the new-new united), as a platinum on an overseas flight, at a domestic station with 20+ daily ua flights......so, yeah..

now if only they'll spend $20 to fix my bag.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Alberta...what do you expect?
good point.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote; language
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
That is pretty generous. On a recent flight I was on that was 2.5 hours delayed I only got $125. And that's the flight itself being delayed, and longer than your baggage delay.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA GS
Ever since they outsourced YYC it's pretty much SOP to wait for marshalling, jet bridge, bags forever. Then add the winter favorite of delivering green tag bags to baggage claim instead of the jet bridge.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:37 am
cur
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Ever since they outsourced YYC it's pretty much SOP to wait for marshalling, jet bridge, bags forever. Then add the winter favorite of delivering green tag bags to baggage claim instead of the jet bridge.
well be sure to complain on the website and ye shall get etc. i understand irrops and that things don't always work the way we want. but this is due to consistent short staffing.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by cur
well be sure to complain on the website and ye shall get etc. i understand irrops and that things don't always work the way we want. but this is due to consistent short staffing.
I fly DEN-YYC and return 30-40 times a year and have mentioned it in every post flight survey. Nobody cares.
Same as catering the morning flight out of YYC not to standard, or having permanently new staff that can't drive a jet bridge.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:59 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by cur
just got an email of apology and $150 etc for the baggage throw-in delay. i asked for 0, expected maybe $20. so very impressed and tbh i look forward to encountering more of these issues.

but also they gave me a $175 etc for a four (4) day baggage delay, during christmas (before the new-new united), as a platinum on an overseas flight, at a domestic station with 20+ daily ua flights......so, yeah..

now if only they'll spend $20 to fix my bag.

good point.
If you're looking forward to these types of issues because it's landing you some ETC's then why come here and complain about it?

Your posts are almost unreadable. Capitalization and full sentences are your friend.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:02 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I find IAH to be ludicrously long for bag return. It has been for years. Maui's pretty bad too.

LAS (at least to me) seems to be a bit more on the ball, in spite of decent growth.
OGG is horrible, so much so that I head for the rental car while my wife waits for the luggage.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
OGG is horrible, so much so that I head for the rental car while my wife waits for the luggage.
That's actually a good strategy anywhere luggage takes time to show up. You beat the people who wait for their bags together and then head to the rental counter.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:25 pm
cur
Original Poster

Originally Posted by In The 216
If you're looking forward to these types of issues because it's landing you some ETC's then why come here and complain about it?

Your posts are almost unreadable. Capitalization and full sentences are your friend.
because the etc came after the op

the etc was above and beyond what i expected (i expected $0)

so if 70+min waits at carousel on a clear summer night is the norm

and i get etc at the value of the flight for this inconvenience

who would not look forward to more of these incidents?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 15, 2017 at 9:59 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by cur
last iah-yyc of the day arriving at 9:45pm. ever since ua closed this base around 2012 and outsourced it, service levels and staffing have just plummeted. this time, 10 minute ground hold for a crew, then after we park and deplane, i notice no ramp crew, no gse, nothing near the aircraft. it's a clear night, no irrops, our flight held short of the gate 2 minutes before scheduled arrival. so i know.....

50 minutes from arrival time: a few connection and non priority bags trickle up. no priority bags.

+60: i go to the bag agent, agent says "they're coming they're coming!". i said i gotta go, i have a meeting right away and i cannot keep my client waiting any longer. he says "ok but you have to pick them up". i tell him that's not a possibility nor is that acceptable and he refuses to open a claim. he tells me to calm down, the bags are coming right now

+70: no bags. i walk, again he refuses to open a claim.

i call the united premier baggage desk, they say they will not deliver "because the bag travelled with you"

i just want my bags delivered, i do not have another hour while here to go get my bags. i would surmise bags were not delivered until 80+ mins. i am not making this up nor embellishing, their ground handler in yyc is this bad.

i am a ua gold. am i being unreasonable.
Being YYC based, I feel your pain here. UA's ground services at YYC are abysmal. Baggage delivery times seem to have degraded significantly since the new terminal opened. UA seems to be among the worst of the bunch, especially with the late evening flights when IAH, DEN, ORD, and sometimes SFO arrive within an hour. 60-70 minutes is definitely long for a narrowbody, but at YYC 30-50 mins is generally the norm. Most similar sized airports can deliver bags from a narrowbody in under 20 minutes, even for international flights.

On a recent UA flight, the Captain referred to this being "Canadian time" as the ground crew were MIA. I'd encourage you to write in about the poor services at YYC when you travel through, as it is really pathetic to have such poor ground services at a brand new terminal.

The airport authority also needs to get their act together in working better with their partners, so feel free to send your thoughts their way via a Facebook or Google review too.

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I fly DEN-YYC and return 30-40 times a year and have mentioned it in every post flight survey. Nobody cares.
Same as catering the morning flight out of YYC not to standard, or having permanently new staff that can't drive a jet bridge.
Yes, yes, yes, all of these things!!! YYC ground services are terrible. They manage to cater a passable breakfast for YYC-IAH and YYC-ORD, but for some reason, can't seem to cater breakfast for a ~3 hour block time flight to DEN.

I'm also amazed at how long it takes them to line up the jet bridge - the new terminal has been open for 8 months now, and the staff still don't seem to know how to work a jet bridge.

I've wrote in before about the poor experiences before. Maybe they'll listen to a GS if you keep writing in? I don't have a lot of faith in the surveys, but I think they at least read the comments when you write in specifically to 1KVoice/Global Services desk.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by cur
last iah-yyc of the day arriving at 9:45pm.

+60: i go to the bag agent, agent says "they're coming they're coming!". i said i gotta go, i have a meeting right away and i cannot keep my client waiting any longer. he says "ok but you have to pick them up". i tell him that's not a possibility nor is that acceptable and he refuses to open a claim. he tells me to calm down, the bags are coming right now

am i being unreasonable.
Underlining mine.

If you are flying international and cutting it close you are asking for trouble given they myriad of issues that can pop up. And a client meeting 'round about midnight? No wonder you were so anxious to get moving...

SL
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
I've wrote in before about the poor experiences before. Maybe they'll listen to a GS if you keep writing in? I don't have a lot of faith in the surveys, but I think they at least read the comments when you write in specifically to 1KVoice/Global Services desk.
I wrote to GS a few times about the meals. As well when App lists dinner but a snack is served. (I am sure it will happen tomorrow again) but only got BS answers.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:03 am
cur
Original Poster

Being YYC based, I feel your pain here. UA's ground services at YYC are abysmal. Baggage delivery times seem to have degraded significantly since the new terminal opened. UA seems to be among the worst of the bunch, especially with the late evening flights when IAH, DEN, ORD, and sometimes SFO arrive within an hour. 60-70 minutes is definitely long for a narrowbody, but at YYC 30-50 mins is generally the norm. Most similar sized airports can deliver bags from a narrowbody in under 20 minutes, even for international flights.

On a recent UA flight, the Captain referred to this being "Canadian time" as the ground crew were MIA. I'd encourage you to write in about the poor services at YYC when you travel through, as it is really pathetic to have such poor ground services at a brand new terminal.

The airport authority also needs to get their act together in working better with their partners, so feel free to send your thoughts their way via a Facebook or Google review too. .
i used to work ramp for a major star alliance mainline carrier in yyc. and i will say the terminal layout and all of that has nothing to do with any of this. cia are a bunch of idiots who cannot hire good enough architects but that still doesn't make this their fault. staffing (with a ground handler that pays money to cia to lease property from them) does. i mean during the ccaa days when we were strugging (ie 3 man crews on a 320 or 737), we got it done within an hour. offlading a full 320 or 737 with 3 guys will not take more than 50 mins even when you're deliberately going slow to piss off mgmt. the ua handlers are either inundated or short staffed and a 3 man crew will just work one plane at a time even if 2-3 arrive during their scheduled time at the same time. they are that half assed. this is why i started the thread. it's not like they had an irrop and 4 planes arrived at the same time when they responsibly blocked for 2 crews, they knew this was coming. and again i can wait but we waited above an hour. it's an exercise in typical canadian mediocrity, and i guarantee ua is getting such a sweet deal they couldn't care less. when i arrive into yyc each time, i see from that walkway ats (ground handling) crews--let alone their gse--nowhere to be found except for one guy struggling to plug in the gpu, something we'd have done instantly on arrival. not trying to say we better than no one but yeah when you walk off a plane and see no cargo doors cracked and one guy struggling to service the plane you know you're in for a long wait. complaining to the cia is pointless (it isn't their job) but 'the new' ua has been receptive

Yes, yes, yes, all of these things!!! YYC ground services are terrible. They manage to cater a passable breakfast for YYC-IAH and YYC-ORD, but for some reason, can't seem to cater breakfast for a ~3 hour block time flight to DEN.

I'm also amazed at how long it takes them to line up the jet bridge - the new terminal has been open for 8 months now, and the staff still don't seem to know how to work a jet bridge.

I've wrote in before about the poor experiences before. Maybe they'll listen to a GS if you keep writing in? I don't have a lot of faith in the surveys, but I think they at least read the comments when you write in specifically to 1KVoice/Global Services desk
this is not the calgary airport's issue. i mean yeah they're barely capable of providing a gate and functional terminal space but the whole bridging and boarding stuff is the airline's problem, and ua outsourced that a few eyars ago. united used to have outsourced ramp to air canada (which screwed that up so the switched to lowest bidder), outsourced catering (typical for a non hub), but insourced customer service, which smisek shut down in 2011 and outsourced to the lowest bidder. most the staff dedicated but most have no idea what they are doing so it makes it frustrating. but it's not the airport's problem. if a canadian airport ran this operation we'd be even worse off. i mean, look how a non-welfare government operation is run in that country.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 21, 2017 at 11:02 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
wow. I'm going to have to try that next time in DEN with the ski equipment on the special racks. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.