UA changed my wife's E+ seat assignment

Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mattack4000
It's our fault for selecting an empty seat that united put up for sale???
What's your fault?

They changed the seat assignment, presumably to accommodate a family, disabled person, etc. Or due to an IT glitch. It wasn't personal.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
It's like pulling teeth trying to obtain the actual and full story... Don't quite understand why the OP posts without providing all the details?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
What is the issue? OP got moved to an identical seat 5 rows back?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Imstevek
What is the issue? OP got moved to an identical seat 5 rows back?
No, it seems to be an identical aisle seat five rows forward. Could the original seat have been an exit row? (I don't think we know the flight number, route, or aircraft type.)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...p/seating.aspx

Am I guaranteed the seat I select?
Seat assignments, regardless of the fare class you purchased, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice due to a schedule change, equipment change or other unforeseen circumstances.

We will always attempt to assign the same or similar seat type and location and keep traveling companions together when they are booked in the same reservation, unless you have purchased a Basic Economy ticket. We understand that your seat assignment is important, so we'll make every effort to keep your original seat preference.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Paper boarding pass shows one number, electronic pass was changed at the time of boarding without notification. It's our fault for selecting an empty seat that United put up for sale???
Specific seat assignments are not for sale. They sell seats in a cabin class---> E+.
As above, seat assignment is never guaranteed. But is a little unusual to have the assignment changed after receiving the boarding pass.
You wife purchased E+ and flew in E+, so all is good. (Or was this an upgrade?)
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...p/seating.aspx

Am I guaranteed the seat I select?
Seat assignments, regardless of the fare class you purchased, are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice due to a schedule change, equipment change or other unforeseen circumstances.
While true and well know but most frequent travelers, does not take much to find many posts on dissatisfaction of not getting original seat assignments. Additionally many find travel stressful and unexpected glitches add to that stress.

Seems the OP wife's major issues were the lack of prior notification and (appears) having to move after seated.
How the interaction was handled on the plane is an unknown but one could imagine a range of finesse on how it was handled.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I paid for my wife's e plus selection a few hours before the flight. Well the lovely gate agent decided that they need her seat in order to sell more upgrades or give freebies so they moved her without asking her. She would have no problem moving if they had just asked, but of course that is too much work and it was better to stiff it to the customer! Nice united, stay classy
How was your wife "stiffed"? Paid for an E+ aisle and sat in an E+ aisle. Other than the number on the seat what is the difference? A lot of huffing and puffing over nothing as far as I can see. Now if she had been moved to a middle or window or E- then she would have something to complain about and be due a refund in the difference in E+ price or a refund of the E+ fee all together if moved to E-. But moved to an equivalent seat? Lets move on.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While true and well know but most frequent travelers, does not take much to find many posts on dissatisfaction of not getting original seat assignments. Additionally many find travel stressful and unexpected glitches add to that stress.

Seems the OP wife's major issues were the lack of prior notification and (appears) having to move after seated.
How the interaction was handled on the plane is an unknown but one could imagine a range of finesse on how it was handled.
That being said, my past 2 flights I have either had a seat change or been next to a seat change and neither time did the little printer spit out the coupon.

I wonder if it is an IT issue.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

I am on my phone and is hard to type, but you nail it in the head. We do care that we paid for one seat, got switched without any notification and she looked like an idiot because United made the change on their own. I guess this is part of the deal with flying now. This is not an IT glitch, this is a gate agent making their change to get someone seated together. You can't explain a change like this prior to boarding on a plane that is not 100% filled.

What a great way to start a vacation. First it started with a seat change, now a long delay. United enforcing their great image as always.

$10 meal voucher was given, but food starts at $15 at EWR LOL!

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 22, 2017 at 7:35 pm Reason: TOS 16 Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I guess this is part of the deal with flying now. This is not an IT glitch, this is a gate agent making their change to get someone seated together. You can't explain a change like this prior to boarding on a plane that is not 100% filled.

What a great way to start a vacation. First it started with a seat change, now a long delay. United enforcing their great image as always.
I literally have no idea why you're so upset. Your spouse still got an aisle seat in E+, and a family got to sit together. I can't fathom some travelers' selfishness.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 22, 2017 at 7:34 pm Reason: Removed comment on subsequently deleted text.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like OP is mad because his wife was told to move instead of being asked.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Wow it's too much to ask a notification about a change that someone initiated? That makes us selfish? I don't know what line of business you are in, but I can't change features on my client's accounts without notifying them even if it is harmless. It's just bad business.

Originally Posted by TomMM
Exactly

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 22, 2017 at 7:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:36 pm

Wow it's too much to ask a notification about a change that someone initiated? That makes us selfish? I don't know what line of business you are in, but I can't change features on my client's accounts without notifying them even if it is harmless. It's just bad business.
FWIW, if you have the app installed, the app and BP will change IMMEDIATELY when issued a new seat
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
And it happens. But probably wouldnt happen if they were flying DL and the OPs wife was famous, like Ann Coulter...oh wait...maybe not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.