Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Statistics Showing United has more mechanicals?

Statistics Showing United has more mechanicals?

Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Hi All:

I have had an extremely bad run of mechanical delays recently and I am wondering if it is bad luck or if United really has far more mechanical issues than other airlines.

Does the DOT collect data on mechanical delays/cancellations?
The stats say you've had bad luck. UA's delays keep dropping year by year, and it's impossible to be all because of better weather. You're likely to see a small increase in mechanical problems and the occasional cancellation over the summer since the schedule is peaked and there's less operational resiliency. But that's true with all carriers.

Originally Posted by cfischer
you can look at the international cancelled/delayed thread ... that speak volumes. Lots of maintenance issues still going, although it is better than last year. Recently ... not so good.
That thread actually speaks volumes on how much better UA's performance is now than in years past.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Of course, the problem with anecdotal reports is they are completely statistically insignificant.
While statistically unimportant overall, my percentage of MX and related problems with UA was about 25% of trips just a couple of years ago when I was still a 1K.

For four years in a row I would lose one day of my oh so short vacation due to some sort of problem - OK, one of them was that systemwide sUA meltdown when sCO planes were flying and sUA were not. Others were as simple as CR7 pilot screens going dark in flight (and thus not being able to connect to DUB flight) or 747 going MX at NRT (and offered hotel night and flight next day to BKK).

And it always happened on outbound, never coming back. Guess it's good I didn't miss work

Originally Posted by minnyfly
The stats say you've had bad luck. UA's delays keep dropping year by year, and it's impossible to be all because of better weather.
Don't we have a thread about UA blaming weather for their problems

Had some of those as well, but agree that statistically I've just had bad luck, as this just doesn't happen to most fliers
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EmailKid
... Don't we have a thread about UA blaming weather for their problems ....
What is interesting is recent DOT data (site mentioned earlier) shows UA reporting to DOT is at or below domestic industry for WX delays / cancels.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Heavier (relatively) on mx delays, lighter on mx cancels is consistent with my perception as a 1K for the last 7 years, mostly domestic Y, so lots of flights.

My favorite carrier-caused delay (though UX) was in SDF last year where Trans States sent the wrong aircraft out for a 1st of the day flight to ORD. Still managed to make my connection to SFO, only to discover an equipment swap and experience the joys of the 10-across 777.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.