Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New security measures for international & domestic flights - Impact on my UA flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA notice -- Additional security measures for international flights to the U.S.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) now requires additional security measures for all international flights to the U.S. These measures include enhanced screening of travelers, as well as heightened screening of electronic devices larger than a standard smartphone. Travelers should be prepared to remove these devices from their protective cases or outer packaging for inspection. If you have a case that requires a screwdriver or other special tools to remove, we recommend doing so before arriving at the airport.

For international flights, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) recommends arriving at the airport at least three hours before your flight if possible, allowing time for the additional security measures. Please note the airport check-in hours first.

For more information, please visit the DHS website.
TSA raising aviation security baseline with stronger domestic security measures

New U.S. airport screening procedures for carry-on bags to better focus on threats
National Press Release
Wednesday, July 26, 2017

WASHINGTON – To ensure the security of airline passengers and the nation’s airports, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is implementing new, stronger screening procedures for carry-on items that require travelers to place all electronics larger than a cell phone in bins for X-ray screening in standard lanes. Following extensive testing and successful pilots at 10 airports, TSA plans to expand these measures to all U.S. airports during the weeks and months ahead.

Due to an increased threat to aviation security, DHS Secretary John Kelly announced in late June new security requirements for nearly 280 airports in more than 100 countries. In an effort to raise the baseline for aviation security worldwide, TSA continues to work closely with airports and airlines to enhance security measures and stay ahead of the evolving threat.

“Whether you’re flying to, from, or within the United States, TSA is committed to raising the baseline for aviation security by strengthening the overall security of our commercial aviation network to keep flying as a safe option for everyone,” said TSA Acting Administrator Huban A. Gowadia.

As new procedures are phased in, TSA officers will begin to ask travelers to remove electronics larger than a cell phone from their carry-on bags and place them in a bin with nothing on top or below, similar to how laptops have been screened for years. This simple step helps TSA officers obtain a clearer X-ray image.

It is possible that passengers may experience more bag checks, however, through extensive testing, TSA identified ways to improve screening procedures with quicker and more targeted measures to clear the bags. The new screening procedures in standard lanes are already in place at the following 10 U.S. airports with plans to expand to all airports during the weeks and months ahead:

Boise Airport (BOI)
Colorado Springs Airport (COS)
Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
Logan International Airport (BOS)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport (LBB)
Luis Muńoz Marín International Airport (SJU)
McCarran International Airport (LAS)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)

In standard screening lanes, TSA officers will be stationed in front of the checkpoint X-ray machines to guide passengers through the screening process and recommend how best to arrange their carry-on items for X-ray screening. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving. There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint; food and liquid items that comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule, electronics, and books continue to be allowed in carry-on bags.

“It is critical for TSA to constantly enhance and adjust security screening procedures to stay ahead of evolving threats and keep passengers safe. By separating personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening, TSA officers can more closely focus on resolving alarms and stopping terror threats,” said Gowadia.

The stronger security measures do not apply to passengers enrolled in TSA Pre✓® who are using TSA Pre✓® lanes. TSA also marked another milestone earlier this month with TSA Pre✓® now available at 200 airports nationwide. Travelers enrolled in TSA Pre✓® do not need to remove shoes, 3-1-1 liquids, laptops, electronics, light outerwear, or belts. The program allows TSA to focus resources on passengers who may pose a high risk to security while providing expedited screening to those travelers who have been identified as low-risk, trusted travelers.
Print Wikipost

New security measures for international & domestic flights - Impact on my UA flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
In my experience, flights from EZE, PTY, SJO, HKG to the US have additional security check at the gate/jetway.
In the past when connecting from BLR to FRA to the USA, there was additional security at FRA.

Add to this additional security for US flights at: IST, CAI, GRU and PVG - well at least this has been my experience.

These days I try and fly through LHR from Europe to the USA whenever I travel as this seems to have the least amount of security for flights to the USA.

These days I just take it if I am travelling to the USA from most countries there will be additional security.

I have only personally had the dreaded "SSSS" once in all my years of flying.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
We have also seen the liquid screening on LIM-EWR years ago. They took our Inca Kola …
Took my Inka Kola I got from the lounge in PTY, very sad moment.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I'm departing FRA tomorrow and will report what happens
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:55 pm

I depart FRA on the 19th and received this email from UA as well. I have a 1:20 D:I connection so I hope this doesn't slow things down too much.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
I'm in the Carribean and flying home Friday (7/21). Received the security alert email along with an upgrade email.
Last time this happened, (IIRC it was after the "underwear bomber" ) security was a real {mess} here at POP. So I'll definitely follow the email advice and be at the a/p at least 3 hours in advance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 18, 2017 at 5:10 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: None anymore
Question, is this for Europe flights only or is it also for Asia flights?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
No big deal - let them screen away unless you are nervous about something.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:11 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
No big deal - let them screen away unless you are nervous about something.
Like a water bottle?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Airports in Canada (including preclearance airports) are also affected. I'm waiting to hear how it's going to affect the Nexus lanes.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Airports in Canada (including preclearance airports) are also affected. I'm waiting to hear how it's going to affect the Nexus lanes.
As I have an upcoming trip AUS-YVR and am a US citizen with NEXUS, I'll appreciate if you post a follow up with any more details. I've received no emails on this change.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
As I have an upcoming trip AUS-YVR and am a US citizen with NEXUS, I'll appreciate if you post a follow up with any more details. I've received no emails on this change.
Keep an eye on the WestJet forum. There's a thread there where I'm hoping someone posts. (I also assume there is or will be something in the Air Canada forum, but I haven't checked yet.) My next flight out of YVR isn't for another 10 days.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
In my experience, flights from EZE, PTY, SJO, HKG to the US have additional security check at the gate/jetway.
I have also experienced the gate checks for flights from NRT, DME, TLV, LHR, PEK, and BRU to the USA. Plus even JFK for a flight to TLV. Methods at each airport vary, but the common things are:
1) All bags thoroughly searched (x-rayed at JFK)
2) All liquids over 3 ounces confiscated

I learned to prepare for the gate security screenings whenever I take an international flight bound for the USA.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:36 pm

From the CBC (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...orts-1.4211518):

Airline passengers travelling from Canada to the United States will face a new battery of "enhanced security measures" now required by the Department of Homeland Security. The new measures will be enforced starting July 19....All electronic devices larger than a smartphone will have to be removed from protective casing and fully charged for potential inspection.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I'm departing FRA tomorrow and will report what happens
I would definitely be interested in hearing about any sort of security related delays at FRA. Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Just transited through FRA. Had 2 hours to connect from LED, missed my LH flight. Word from the LH employees marshalling us poor guineas pigs through the enhanced security was that 30% of travelers are being given SSSS on their boarding passes, global entry does not absolve one of the additional security. Due to the enormous loads of extra security, i would estimate 150 people constantly in the queue to get into the Z gates with only three lanes operational. Through-put was a signifcant issue, it is a slow process. There was no separate queue for business or first (I was in first and the first class lounge dropped me off at the marshalling yard to wait for ~110 minutes), and there was no one interested in trying to prioritize those who were departing first. Consequently I was surrounded by people missing their flights (ATL, DTW, DFW, LAX, etc).

Plan accordingly although I suspect the learning curve will be improved over the next few days. The FCL assistance found me in the senator lounge after to glean some additional feedback because he was shocked I missed my flight and didn't want to have to bring passengers two hours early for security .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.