To the non-rev in row 4.....

Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just in time for this thread - alleged dependent of Delta employee runs amuck in int'l first class. Makes UA incident seem mild:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/plane-ret...045616606.html
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Just in time for this thread - alleged dependent of Delta employee runs amuck in int'l first class. Makes UA incident seem mild:

This really makes me happy that we just started forcing employees to travel w/ buddies if they want to go in F or J.

Not that this helps at all in this situation. Ugh.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Please do. Even on other airlines this makes us look like fools. They're is a set of decorum that nonrev passengers should try to stay in line with. Whether or not they're actually travelling as a conf. or NRSA and as an employee it is their job to properly represent the airline regardless of the circumstance. This being no acception. No one is above the law, especially us.

Also, you can easily tell, look at the name on the BP and then up at the screens overhead or by seeing in all caps NRSA at the tops of our BPs (it'll be clearly visible even on our seat assignments). This still doesn't matter though anyways as this person's behaviour was far from acceptable.
I love your attitude. I wish there were more like you who understand that all employees (especially when in uniform, even if not on duty) represent their organization. [When uniformed crew push in front of me at an airport, I always note their airline. I do the same when I notice them talking loudly and inappropriately, especially swearing where children might be present.]

OT, but the DL rule about no buddies in FC/J without the sponsoring employee being present would not apply to nonrevs traveling on dependent passes, only to official buddy pass riders? One would think that someone who grew up in an airline family would understand the rules and their importance, although maybe there isn't an explicit nonrev policy prohibiting drug use within X hours of flying. Sad.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:30 pm

As a once-a-month non-rev, I'd say that it's inappropriate for a non-rev to even be identifiable as a non-rev, other than if they're in uniform. But behavior like that is inappropriate.

I don't have bag tags, don't show my ID badge, and don't even take food or drinks when offered. In short, I'm the only person that will ever know I'm a non-rev other than the occasional crew member that knows me (unavoidable after 30+ years as a pilot for UA).

FAB
tryathlete likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Wow! the Delta guy was a bona fide DYKWIA:

According to one flight attendant, "Hudek did not seem impacted by the breaking of a full liter red wine bottle over his head, and instead shouted, 'Do you know who I am?'
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Wow! the Delta guy was a bona fide DYKWIA:
'Do you know who I am?'

The answer - "Yeah, you're the guy with a red-stained shirt..."
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

It was not an employee of DL. It was a dependent. DL does not have International FC. I would guess the DL employee will lose all pass privileges and could be terminated. What is in the water in the beautiful state of Florida, where this dependent non-rev came from? Unbelievable. Perhaps drugs with the super strength. PCP?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:05 am

It's very possible UA staff already reported his behavior. Nobody messes around when it comes to NRSA travel, because one's inappropriate behavior can have an impact on all.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Write but be specific

If your going to do this, do it properly. Be specific in the complaint what he did wrong, where he sat and what he looked like. Otherwise they can't' do much can they?

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
MBJ-EWR. I believe your employer has guidelines on how to act and general behavior for "free" employee travel.

Not sure where another thread may be that this would fit, but looking for some guidance.

MBJ-EWR was nonrev express today. Family of four led by father (2 preteen kids, wife) barrels through (not around) my family to get to zone 1 boarding. Hmmm. Ok.

Then the agent starts a gentle discussion on his 1-3 pieces per person carrying and 2-WAY oversized garment bag. She asked him (kindly) to put it in the sizer. His response is "I'm just too (word for a structure to hold a river back) tired to think of this. You didn't have room on the earlier flight, and my bag is going with me. I work for United and can take it if I want!!!"

When I got to the agent I apologized for one of my country's citizens actions. She apologized to me for her co-workers actions!!!!

So...thinking of writing 1K. Do they ever tell the employee "chill out"? Or am I wasting my time and they don't care?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE, A3*G, AA-EP, UA*S,
Just take a look at the upgrade list on the app and if you remember the seat numbers, just send in along the complaint the SMI/J that shows up.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
This really makes me happy that we just started forcing employees to travel w/ buddies if they want to go in F or J.

Not that this helps at all in this situation. Ugh.
------

I assume you don't work for United. United did have that rule a few years ago (employees must travel with buddies internationally) but relaxed it by requiring a sort of extreme vetting ahead of time, nothing that allows for adding a "buddy" at the last minute.
Not that my friends or relatives are rowdy but this is the exact reason I DO NOT SHARE ANY BUDDY PASSES. Frankly, I wish UAL would go back to it's original non-rev rules - Immediate family (spouse, children up to age 21, parents, retirees). Period.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Jul 11, 2017 at 10:24 pm
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------

I assume you don't work for United. United did have that rule a few years ago (employees must travel with buddies internationally) but relaxed it by requiring a sort of extreme vetting ahead of time, nothing that allows for adding a "buddy" at the last minute.
Not that my friends or relatives are rowdy but this is the exact reason I DO NOT SHARE ANY BUDDY PASSES. Frankly, I wish UAL would go back to it's original non-rev rules - Immediate family (spouse, children up to age 21, parents). Period.
Eh, I still appreciate DL's policy. Kids upto 26 or when they graduate college -which ever comes first and spouse. As far as the buddies go, 90% of the time we're with them and the price difference vs an E-fare generally isnt that much so no one really bothers anymore. Generally this helps majorly with keeping people in tact. I think this one dependant is a fluke and needs help. By now I'm sure he knows that busting the exit door wouldnt do anything, something probably is genuinely wrong with him. Seriously though, why are the idiots always from Florida?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
Report it. Inexcusable.

Originally Posted by freshairborne
As a once-a-month non-rev, I'd say that it's inappropriate for a non-rev to even be identifiable as a non-rev, other than if they're in uniform. But behavior like that is inappropriate.

I don't have bag tags, don't show my ID badge, and don't even take food or drinks when offered. In short, I'm the only person that will ever know I'm a non-rev other than the occasional crew member that knows me (unavoidable after 30+ years as a pilot for UA).

FAB
You're one of the good ones. You know, with common sense. We have a lot of newer employees hired in the past couple years. Granted we don't know if they were junior, but that doesn't matter. I try my best to avoid being identified as an employee at all times while nonrevin.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2017 at 11:45 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
Report it. Inexcusable.

You're one of the good ones. You know, with common sense. We have a lot of newer employees hired in the past couple years. Granted we don't know if they were junior, but that doesn't matter. I try my best to avoid being identified as an employee at all times while nonrevin.
----
Totally agree. I find people are less interested now in seat mate conversation but years ago, if asked what my occupation was, I would tell them I was an auditor for the IRS = immediate change of subject ! I'm long past the "new hire/younger, excited employee" stage. Many years ago when I was a new hire, I was a little too enthusiastic about it on a flight and was called out by another employee who heard me - I was soooooo embarrassed and never "bragged" again. I had a friend who was also "creative" but she would just say she was an attorney. Unfortunately this didn't work when she sat next to another lawyer one day and had to find a clever way to get out of it along the lines of "never talking business while on vacation".
I can always tell who non-revs are (besides the obvious hanging at the gate until the last minute). Unfortunately, it's usually a loud, obnoxious behavior coupled with "borderline" dress code - excluding, of course, the more senior people who know better. NOBODY is traveling on my passes if I have even a thought that they will act up or are unable to even fake some sort of quiet and modest demeanor.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Jul 10, 2017 at 10:32 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:28 am

The dress code(s) were relaxed to pmCO standards circa 2011. Jeans in intl. premium cabins became ok. I'm neutral about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.