Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a time restriction for entering through security at ORD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a time restriction for entering through security at ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. You need a same-day BP for departure from ORD. DHS rules permit you to enter through any checkpoint even if the checkpoint you use does not connect to the departure gate for your flight. You may find line checkers and TSA Officers who may point out that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint, but that is because most people doing this are at the "wrong" checkpoint and really do want to be redirected. Just accept the advice and move on.

2. No need to commit ticket fraud. If you can provide a reasonably plausible reason and your is, UA will almost always issue a gate pass. It looks like a BP, simply does not have a gate and flight number.

3. Contrary to urban myth, UA is not required to honor 24-hour cancellations within 7 days and when it does, it is a waiver of the cancellation fee, not a change in policy. In addition, there are examples here of people cancelling multiple tickets at the last second who have had even their GS status revoked and large mileage balances cancelled. There is no way of knowing whether doing it 2x or 8x is the cutoff.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lilpisher
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...rst-print.aspx

4. Allow reservations to be canceled for a certain period after purchase
You bolded the wrong line. The one after that clearly states that if on a non-BE ticket the 24-hour rule applies even inside 7 days.
Originally Posted by Often1
3. Contrary to urban myth, UA is not required to honor 24-hour cancellations within 7 days and when it does, it is a waiver of the cancellation fee, not a change in policy.
UA is not required by the DoT to do so. But its published policy clearly states that it will unless a customer buys a Basic Economy ticket.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
You bolded the wrong line. The one after that clearly states that if on a non-BE ticket the 24-hour rule applies even inside 7 days.

UA is not required by the DoT to do so. But its published policy clearly states that it will unless a customer buys a Basic Economy ticket.
That line allows you to make changes within 7 days, not cancel.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by schley
cant' you get a gate pass to meet them in the United Club?
Club gate pass isn't a thing anymore. Hasn't been since August 2016.

3. Contrary to urban myth, UA is not required to honor 24-hour cancellations within 7 days and when it does, it is a waiver of the cancellation fee, not a change in policy. In addition, there are examples here of people cancelling multiple tickets at the last second who have had even their GS status revoked and large mileage balances cancelled. There is no way of knowing whether doing it 2x or 8x is the cutoff.
Yes, but these were for repeated (dozens or more) flagrant violations. The GS instance you're referencing was the guy who would buy tickets for his wife to accompany him to the gate as a "gate pass" and cancel them before stepping on the plane - and he did this almost every time he flew.

Last edited by tcp1; Jul 1, 2017 at 11:42 am
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
My understanding is that TSA allowes entry anytime the same day from 12:01 am to 11:59 pm regardless to the time of your flight..
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cfo314
Flight is at 10:30pm at ORD, can I enter through security at noon? Any issues with being so early?

I need to meet someone who is connecting through ORD. Cheapest throwaway ticket is a 10:30pm departure. Open to other ideas if this doesn't work.

Thanks
Yes you can! No worries at all. You can even enter at 12:01 am that day! Safe Travels
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by tcp1
Club gate pass isn't a thing anymore. Hasn't been since August 2016.

Yes, but these were for repeated (dozens or more) flagrant violations. The GS instance you're referencing was the guy who would buy tickets for his wife to accompany him to the gate as a "gate pass" and cancel them before stepping on the plane - and he did this almost every time he flew.
gate passes are still available .... where they meet depends on who has UC membership or not.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Yes you can! No worries at all. You can even enter at 12:01 am that day! Safe Travels
I have entered the prior day even on several occasions. IME, once you have a boarding pass, it works.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

To close the loop, no problems getting through security.

As a bonus, flight was cancelled and UAL is willing to refund the ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

2. No need to commit ticket fraud. If you can provide a reasonably plausible reason and your is, UA will almost always issue a gate pass. It looks like a BP, simply does not have a gate and flight number.
FWIW, no. They won't give you a gate pass simply because you want to go airside to 'meet a friend'. I've even had pushback when asking to accompany my pregnant wife (who needed my help) to the gate. This was before Aug 2016, and I had to pull the UA Club card rules out and argue that I was entitled to it that way (which worked).

OP, glad your option worked and even better news on the flight being cancelled for the free refund. You could probably even get some bonus miles out of it too, although that might be pushing karma a little bit....
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by dordal
FWIW, no. They won't give you a gate pass simply because you want to go airside to 'meet a friend'. I've even had pushback when asking to accompany my pregnant wife (who needed my help) to the gate. This was before Aug 2016, and I had to pull the UA Club card rules out and argue that I was entitled to it that way (which worked).

OP, glad your option worked and even better news on the flight being cancelled for the free refund. You could probably even get some bonus miles out of it too, although that might be pushing karma a little bit....
If he gets miles back off a BE fare, that would be amazing
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I have entered the prior day even on several occasions. IME, once you have a boarding pass, it works.
I would hope so, else 12:15 AM departures and the like would kinda suck if you were limited to 12:01 AM or later. *grin*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.