Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is there a time restriction for entering through security at ORD?

Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Flight is at 10:30pm at ORD, can I enter through security at noon? Any issues with being so early?

I need to meet someone who is connecting through ORD. Cheapest throwaway ticket is a 10:30pm departure. Open to other ideas if this doesn't work.

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfo314
Flight is at 10:30pm at ORD, can I enter through security at noon? Any issues with being so early?

I need to meet someone who is connecting through ORD. Cheapest throwaway ticket is a 10:30pm departure. Open to other ideas if this doesn't work.

Thanks
You can enter any time that day if you have your boarding pass. You can even go to the 'wrong' terminal. I would be surprised if TSA bats an eye.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Cheapest throwaway ticket is a 10:30pm departure. Open to other ideas if this doesn't work.
As long as you don't do this regularly, you can just buy a refundable ticket and cancel it later.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Sometimes I enter the airport at 10.30pm for a 6am flight, simply to spend some more time with a friend, 8/10 times the TSA doesn't say anything - sometimes they ask me to leave the terminal the same day.

It depends completely on the TSA agent I would say. If they give you a headache ask for the supervisor and kindly explain your case, chances are they will let you through.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:58 pm

Thanks
Why throw anything away? Buy a refundable ticket, and cancel it anytime after you go through the TSA Checkpoint.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:54 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Thanks
If - and a big IF - they would say something, you say that I am trying to go standby for an earlier flight. They won't bat an eye.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis
Why throw anything away? Buy a refundable ticket, and cancel it anytime after you go through the TSA Checkpoint.

never done that before. Is it worth the hassle? BE is only $40
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
never done that before. Is it worth the hassle? BE is only $40
buy it that morning and as long as you cancel within 24hrs, full refund
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
If - and a big IF - they would say something, you say that I am trying to go standby for an earlier flight. They won't bat an eye.
that is perfect, thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
buy it that morning and as long as you cancel within 24hrs, full refund
Technically, the 24 hour cancel on non refundable tickets doesn't apply to day of purchases but the rule doesn't seem to be enforced. Best to stick with a refundable ticket though.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skylane
Technically, the 24 hour cancel on non refundable tickets doesn't apply to day of purchases but the rule doesn't seem to be enforced. Best to stick with a refundable ticket though.
Where is that written? I've never heard of such a provision.

The mandated 24 hour cancellation window doesn't apply if the ticket is purchased within 7 days of the flight, but UA's policy is more generous than it legally needs to be and does allow it within 7 days.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:37 am

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by docbert
Where is that written? I've never heard of such a provision.

The mandated 24 hour cancellation window doesn't apply if the ticket is purchased within 7 days of the flight, but UA's policy is more generous than it legally needs to be and does allow it within 7 days.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...rst-print.aspx

4. Allow reservations to be canceled for a certain period after purchase

When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlus® miles to book an award ticket with any of these sources, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. Or, if you are not traveling on a Basic Economy ticket, you may change wholly unused tickets within 24 hours of purchase without incurring normally applicable change fees in accordance with United's 24-hour flexible booking policy. Any applicable differences in fare still apply. Normal change and refund policies apply if your request is not made prior to scheduled flight departure.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:00 am

This is where phone boarding passes are your friend. It either beeps or it doesn't, no questions to be asked.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:31 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
cant' you get a gate pass to meet them in the United Club?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
This is where phone boarding passes are your friend. It either beeps or it doesn't, no questions to be asked.
Still shows name, flight number and date on the scanner display to the TSA agent ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.