Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For April 2018 EWR to MIA, very few mainlines or unrestricted Y class now available.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For April 2018 EWR to MIA, very few mainlines or unrestricted Y class now available.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier

Looking for flights between EWR and MIA for April 2018. Half the of the MIA to EWR flights are ER170 and have "no non-refundable economy seats" yet the plane is 90% empty.......
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
At begining of schedule flights, UA has commonly not released the full breadth of fare classes and generally not the cheapest fare classes. Wait a few more months.

There is little to gain booking airline flights 10 - 11 months in advance of departure. Especially if looking for the best fares.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is little to gain booking airline flights 10 - 11 months in advance of departure. Especially if looking for the best fares.
There is nothing to gain by waiting before you start looking. You never know when a gem of a fare will pop up. I managed to find a fare that's about 2/3 the normal fare for April 2018. It's doubtful I'll find anything better, though I will of course keep looking.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
If you aren't willing to pay the fare offered at the time you look...then I feel like that's that. Asking here will not change the fares.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

WineCountryUA, I have seen that in the past on international flights, never seen on domestic flights. We have been looking at a Havana trip for a while but with the recent political changes it looks like the easiest way for us to do it is on a cruise out of Miami so I was pricing ahead and trying to fit it into our other travel for grandchildren's birthdays, visits with family around the world and avoiding the Northeast in the winter time for the rest of my life.... If we do the cruise thing I need to book that fairly early since the ships are small and recent changes make them more popular so I was gathering information to figure out the "real" cost of a 5 night cruise for us.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:07 pm

I assume you are an EWR captive? AA and DL offer competitive fares NYC-MIA many months out. UA not so much
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gene2632
Looking for flights between EWR and MIA for April 2018. Half the of the MIA to EWR flights are ER170 and have "no non-refundable economy seats" yet the plane is 90% empty.......
Assuming you buy a refundable fare - 95% chance you get upgraded...
ER170/175 doesn't have an oven, which means salad and cold chicken or some sandwich as a choice

AA flies 757 and 767 on that route and a smattering of 73x, 32x and E175. Most likely cheaper, some have lie flat or angle lie flat and hot food.

Unless you are stuck flying United/EWR
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Assuming you buy a refundable fare - 95% chance you get upgraded...
ER170/175 doesn't have an oven, which means salad and cold chicken or some sandwich as a choice

AA flies 757 and 767 on that route and a smattering of 73x, 32x and E175. Most likely cheaper, some have lie flat or angle lie flat and hot food.

Unless you are stuck flying United/EWR
There is no chance I would buy an expensive refundable ticket for this trip. It makes no sense to me. Flying AA is a very small step above flying Spirit for me, we have a very bad history, Oh, flying Spirit only happens when I don't have time to walk....

B6 is also an option from EWR to South Florida.

Originally Posted by toby182
I assume you are an EWR captive? AA and DL offer competitive fares NYC-MIA many months out. UA not so much
Yes, EWR is pretty much it. 40 minutes from home vs 90 minutes on a perfect day to JFK....or PHL. The other NYC airports just carry too much traffic risk to make it worthwhile.

Last edited by gene2632; Jun 25, 2017 at 8:39 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Fares will go down when JetBlue starts promoting their winter seasonal EWR-Florida schedule. UA will then basically match on price, and will also have more daily flights to choose from.

SL
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Just an FYI, I was not posting here to try and get fares to go down. It just struck me as odd that there were no non-refundable fares offered on some of the flights on the dates I was looking at and those flights were on RJs. Mainline flights to MIA and all flights to PBI had the non-refundable fares offered so it stuck me as odd. You may now return to your regularly scheduled browsing.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
I noticed the same thing with regional jets only offering refundable fares while all mainlines have other fare buckets open. This is on MSY-IAH for a date in August and has been that way for about 4 months (and still is).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:27 am

I have noticed other flights in the past that had very restricted inventory available and were quite pricey 10-11 months out. It's not very uncommon to see this that far out. If you want to book as soon as possible, then just keep checking – usually discount economy fares eventually become available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.