Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgraded connection missed in irrops question.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I am booked on an R fare, thanks to an upgrade, EWR-IAD connecting to IAD-CDG. If my flight to IAD is delayed and I miss my connection, will I be rebooked in Polaris business or lose my upgrade and fly economy?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You would most likely be rebooked in Economy.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If you find a sympathetic agent, they could force some room, if it is available. At the very least put you at the top of the upgrade list.

Especially if the missed connection is a MX or other United problem ie not weather

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure economy is all you are due

You can always SDC to an earlier flight if available to give you more time to make the connection.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
they will put you into the 'next available' (you need J1 only, no R available) Polaris Seat available to your destination. You can also choose to fly Polaris to e.g. FRA/MUC/ZRH and then connect on LH/LX in Y. You can also ask for OAL re-route in Y.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Let this be a pitch to allow plenty of time for the connection. It is summer peak season to Europe and while there is always the chance that there is a J seat floating around, the greater likelihood is that other flights are overbooked and you will be lucky to find a lousy seat in Y.

Between the crowded airspace and late afternoon (I presume) weather on that route, it is common for ATC to reduce flow and leave it to the carriers to determine which flow. The EWR-IAD micro-hop is the first to be held at EWR or cancelled outright.

If things look bad before departure, start looking at reroutes xEWR rather than IAD.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
they will put you into the 'next available' (you need J1 only, no R available) Polaris Seat available to your destination. You can also choose to fly Polaris to e.g. FRA/MUC/ZRH and then connect on LH/LX in Y. You can also ask for OAL re-route in Y.
+1
(with the slight clarification that there won't be any "Polaris Seat" to CDG this summer. Polaris business class, yes. Polaris Seat, no.)

Originally Posted by Often1
It is summer peak season to Europe and while there is always the chance that there is a J seat floating around, the greater likelihood is that other flights are overbooked and you will be lucky to find a lousy seat in Y.
Actually summer J loads tend to be relatively light; it's the back of the bus that commonly sells out. That said, I 100% agree about leaving plenty of time for the connection to avoid any issues.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:40 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I fly TPA-EWR a lot. The last 3 times I have done this, I arrived 4 hrs late, 3 hours late, and 4 hours late due to ATC "flow control" because of weather in the NY area.
Plan accordingly.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Often1
Let this be a pitch to allow plenty of time for the connection.
This. Particularly with flights to/from EWR/SFO and especially if they are on regionals, as they are generally the first ones to be thrown under the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.