Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heartfelt Thanks to United

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Heartfelt Thanks to United

I wish to extend my sincere thanks to United and the 1K staff that recently helped me through an extremely difficult period in my life. My wife was diagnosed with cancer on November 24 and succumbed to the disease on April 20. She was 54.
The early prognosis was hopeful, so we rescheduled a few of our six upcoming trips for later in the year and canceled others that would have interfered with her treatment. Throughout the process, the UA personnel with whom I dealt were the epitome of kindness and understanding. They rescheduled the two trips we decided were doable, and even re-routed us on a direct AC flight when inclement Chicago weather would have resulted in a series of misconnected UA flights. Any and all change fees were proactively waived.
Unfortunately, upon returning from our last trip, my wife's condition suddenly deteriorated, and she passed away 16 days later. Still reeling from shock, dealing with superfluous travel issues was furthest from my list of priorities. Last week I got around to dealing with refund requests for the remaining flights that would not be flown. Again the UA staff were solicitous and respectful. Truthfully, I was not confident those tickets that were non-refundable P and W fares would actually be refunded. However, true to what I had been told, all tickets were refunded without fees, only a few days later. At this point, the money is really irrelevant, but the fact that UA showed such empathy and compassion will stay with me forever. Thank you, UA and Mr. Munoz for bringing a sliver of light to what has been a very dark period in my life.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: United Global Services
So sorry for your loss of your wife, it must have been a very trying time indeed. Thank you for sharing your positive experience. These don't seem to be reported as much on this site. I should share more of mine as well, as I sometimes have a hard time believing that i have such a different experience than many who write here. Out of respect to your situation i think i will wait to post my experiences in a different thread, would like the FT community to be able to share their condolences with you as well
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
First off my most sincere condolences. It is easy to look at United as an institution, but a big part of why it earns my business are employees who work with heart. It also takes leaders who empower front line employees to do what is right. Although we have all experienced loss, having some empathy from fellow humans reminds that we customers are humans, too.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Sorry for your loss, and thanks for posting something positive.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My condolences to you; glad you found a bright spot in it all. Thank you for sharing.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Sorry for you loss, I know it is hard but remember the good things and good times going forward to honor her memory.

United, for all of their issues has always been very very good about these things when I have had to deal with them. When my mother was in her last days we were on our way to to EWR to fly up to Toronto for a working weekend away when I got a call to get back to Maryland ASAP. While turning around I called to cancel our plans and the agent could not have been more helpful and told me to have a copy of the obit when I re-booked and they would wave the change fees. A few years later they did the same thing when had to cancel a planned trip to Europe last minute because I was busy dodging a heart attack and then when my mother-in-law passed they found some really cheap tickets to get us from LAS back to Maryland for the funeral and then waived the change fees we re-booked the trip we had planned for a week later. Yes, their are times I want to scream at them about they way they act but in those times of stress and sadness they have always stepped up.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:46 pm

My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your wife.
I agree from other posters that the people of United are capable of showing great empathy and compassion, and that it is an airline that can and will do the right thing even when it's not in the "rule book."
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:07 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
flyme2, your post is especially poignant as our FlyerTalk member family is affected by this very sad and sudden development which you and your extended family recently confronted.

We thank you for sharing these most difficult events. May your many years of previous good times and travels together, and all the best things your spouse represented, sustain you for many years to come.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

flyme2, you brought tears to my eyes to read of the loss of your wife. I am so sorry. I hope that travel will bring you joy again in the future, but for now, I'm glad that United staff were so helpful in such sorrowful circumstances.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

my condolences as well. my family has a bunch of challenging health issues as well over the past 2 months. In every case, United has gone way above and beyond to help get or my family members home (or delay trips without charging a change fee). This is how loyalty is built--I can't thank UA enough for being there over some really rough times.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
When my wife of 46 years of marriage was diagnosed with a terminal disease, and placed on hospice, we continued to fly, all over the world, until she couldn't make it any more. Both being 1K's we had made many UA friends in quite a few cities, who bent over backwards to treat my wife like a queen.

Like other posters above, I won't share my story now, as to honor flyme2's lovely wife!

I might mention, the way I coped with my loss --- I kept flying to get away from the memories (to just anywhere), and over time, IT WORKED!!!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Of all the times for United to do the right thing and provide excellent service, I'm glad this was one. My esteem for United just went up a notch.

I wish you solace for your terrible, terrible loss.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
My heartfelt condolences to you and your family for your loss!

Thank you for posting and reminding many about how good of an airline UA is!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Please accept my heartfelt condolences, flyme2; and thank you for sharing your intensely personal story.

Please let us know what we can do to help ease the terrible pain of your loss for you...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thank You

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of warmth, especially as I have not been an active member of the FT community for a very, very long time. My wife and I shared a wonderful life together for 36 years. We were each other's best friend. She was so happy that we had taken that last trip, to Berlin and Prague. It created her last fond memories and a sense of normalcy.

She maintained the most positive outlook, up until the very end, even smiling for her Oncology ID photo.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.