Heartfelt Thanks to United

Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Dear fly2me,

I am so sorry for your loss. You clearly dearly loved your life's partner. How great that the you two of you continued to travel, doing something you both loved, in spite of her illness.

That United staff went out of their way to treat her as a queen, as you say, and allow you to forge special memories during that time comes as no surprise to me. Some months ago, there was a thread that asked people "Why United?" Many of the stories contained a personal connection, one that was maintained over the long haul, usually due to the actions of a few UA staff.

In the end, the only thing that matters during our time on this earth is the connections we make with other people, and in particular, the deep love that we forge with our families. How fortunate you have been to experience such a deep, abiding love. I cannot imagine your pain right now. I hope that, over time, it will lose its rawness.

Thank you for reminding us so eloquently about what really matters.

With best wishes,
big V
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
I read this last night and have not been able to stop thinking about this. Firstly sorry for your loss. Secondly it's stories like these that remind us that their is a human side in travel. We are more than just a paid seat and it's demonstrated clearly in this case. I am a relatively new Flyertalker but love the sense of community and support on this site and especially in the United forum. I can't imagine the pain your going through but I am sure over time with the support of your family,friends,and flyertalk community it will help you get through it. Thank you for sharing this personal story and cheers to United for going above and beyond.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family and friends during this extremely difficult time. Thank you for sharing this story. It is good to see that UA treated you and your wife with the upmost respect and understanding.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by flyme2
I wish to extend my sincere thanks to United and the 1K staff that recently helped me through an extremely difficult period in my life. My wife was diagnosed with cancer on November 24 and succumbed to the disease on April 20. She was 54.
The early prognosis was hopeful, so we rescheduled a few of our six upcoming trips for later in the year and canceled others that would have interfered with her treatment. Throughout the process, the UA personnel with whom I dealt were the epitome of kindness and understanding. They rescheduled the two trips we decided were doable, and even re-routed us on a direct AC flight when inclement Chicago weather would have resulted in a series of misconnected UA flights. Any and all change fees were proactively waived.
Unfortunately, upon returning from our last trip, my wife's condition suddenly deteriorated, and she passed away 16 days later. Still reeling from shock, dealing with superfluous travel issues was furthest from my list of priorities. Last week I got around to dealing with refund requests for the remaining flights that would not be flown. Again the UA staff were solicitous and respectful. Truthfully, I was not confident those tickets that were non-refundable P and W fares would actually be refunded. However, true to what I had been told, all tickets were refunded without fees, only a few days later. At this point, the money is really irrelevant, but the fact that UA showed such empathy and compassion will stay with me forever. Thank you, UA and Mr. Munoz for bringing a sliver of light to what has been a very dark period in my life.
It's comforting to read that UA has treated you with dignity and humanity in your time of despair. Small solace, I know, but healing comes from many small things.

Peace to you, brother.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, DL Platinum, B6 Mosaic
A heartfelt thanks to you for sharing your difficult (but beautiful) story. I'm literally teary eyed, and can't even imagine what you most be going through.
Thank you for your courage in sharing, and may her memory always be a blessing.
Know that you have plenty of support here at flyertalk, and you can pm me anytime if you just want to chat.

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of warmth, especially as I have not been an active member of the FT community for a very, very long time. My wife and I shared a wonderful life together for 36 years. We were each other's best friend. She was so happy that we had taken that last trip, to Berlin and Prague. It created her last fond memories and a sense of normalcy.

She maintained the most positive outlook, up until the very end, even smiling for her Oncology ID photo.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Gold
I am so sorry for your loss and hope that you find peace and comfort in your memories and love with her. Thank you for sharing the story.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:59 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

What a lovely photo- she is beautiful. Thank you for sharing the story, it's nice to know how kind people can be. Stay strong! Condolences for her loss.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your wife.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
My condolences as well -- and pleased that UA (and hopefully this community) provided a little bit of light.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: United, Delta, AA, southwest
I wish to extend my sincere thanks to United and the 1K staff that recently helped me through an extremely difficult period in my life. My wife was diagnosed with cancer on November 24 and succumbed to the disease on April 20. She was 54.
The early prognosis was hopeful, so we rescheduled a few of our six upcoming trips for later in the year and canceled others that would have interfered with her treatment. Throughout the process, the UA personnel with whom I dealt were the epitome of kindness and understanding. They rescheduled the two trips we decided were doable, and even re-routed us on a direct AC flight when inclement Chicago weather would have resulted in a series of misconnected UA flights. Any and all change fees were proactively waived.
Unfortunately, upon returning from our last trip, my wife's condition suddenly deteriorated, and she passed away 16 days later. Still reeling from shock, dealing with superfluous travel issues was furthest from my list of priorities. Last week I got around to dealing with refund requests for the remaining flights that would not be flown. Again the UA staff were solicitous and respectful. Truthfully, I was not confident those tickets that were non-refundable P and W fares would actually be refunded. However, true to what I had been told, all tickets were refunded without fees, only a few days later. At this point, the money is really irrelevant, but the fact that UA showed such empathy and compassion will stay with me forever. Thank you, UA and Mr. Munoz for bringing a sliver of light to what has been a very dark period in my life.
I am so very sorry for your loss. My wife of 32 years passed from cancer 3 years ago and we traveled all over, but unfortunately we did not complete our bucket list. United was our airline of choice. Prior to the merger this was the customer service that was normal. During the Smi**k era they would not have had any feelings. Since Oscar took over they have been getting back (abet slowly) to the good old days.

Stay strong, things will get better.

Regards from someone who understands.

Tapeguy
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Touched

Thank you all for the very warm and compassionate words. Reading through the posts and messages, I find it difficult to contain my emotions. The kindness of the FT community is truly inspirational in helping me overcome the weight of the grief I am currently carrying. I am thankful to you all.

Happier times....
Attached Images  
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cancer is vile.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I am so sorry for your loss. May your 36 years of partnership sustain you in times of darkness.

Like others on this thread, I too experienced great kindness from United. I was in London when a family member passed away. United waived fees and I kept my upgrade.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
So sorry to hear of your loss. Heaven has another Angel.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:21 pm

My deepest condolences. I echo your opinions on many of United's staff. Be well. God Bless.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.