Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by truncated
Also the food options at T7 are better than OTG in EWR C lol.
The only thing it would be better on is price. The Terminal C offerings at EWR make T7 at JFK look like a backstation. There's no way anyone could objectively say that.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Not to beat a dead horse, but many Manhattanites are unaware how the traffic patterns benefit travel to EWR vs. JFK (i.e. ability to use both Holland and Lincoln Tunnels, and multiple highway options in NJ to get to EWR after crossing the Hudson). Going to JFK from Manhattan, most folks are stuck using the LIE/GCP/Van Wyck. Public transportation is wash IMO, although slight benefit to JFK given the frequency of LIRR service ability to use Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn.
I've traveled from the EWR/JFK/LGA into Manhattan many many times.

-Why use the roads from NYC to go to/from EWR when it's dead easy to just catch the train to/from Penn station?????? - it's mostly quicker anyway and you avoid the traffic. However the roads around EWR are OK by US standards. EWR is typically the most convenient for me.

-LGA is the quickest at night to central Manhattan by road; can be a nightmare in the day and public transport is 3rd world.

-JFK the worst of the bunch - 3rd world public transportation system and roads

Last edited by ermintrude; Jun 22, 2017 at 4:05 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I also think it's a brilliant maneuver on UA's part to break the stigma.

As for EWR not being NY, true but... Besides for the other examples given, EWR is officially part of the "NYC" IATA code.
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
While "EWR" is well-known by frequent flyers, I think it is a poor decision to use the code for a mass-market ad.
You'd be surprised how many non-frequent flying locals know "EWR"
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I rarely travel to airports by taxi -- too expensive plus don't like riding in cabs. (Not traveling on business these days, so everything is on my own dime.)

This ad campaign is useless for travelers like me.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Accessing LGA is awful these days no matter how you slice it and taking the train to EWR this summer is gonna be, well, I'll just say, good luck with that.
What's wrong w LGA? My experience is LGA and EWR take about the same time. Less than an hour to get to the city by public transit. Yes, LGA is a bus to the subway but it's much quicker than JFK which is always over an hour on subway.

And for those who want to stereotype business travelers, I'm a GS who pays Business Class and has a private car/driver at home. And when I go to NY, I take the bus/subway/train
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19

What's wrong w LGA? My experience is LGA and EWR take about the same time. Less than an hour to get to the city by public transit. Yes, LGA is a bus to the subway but it's much quicker than JFK which is always over an hour on subway.

And for those who want to stereotype business travelers, I'm a GS who pays Business Class and has a private car/driver at home. And when I go to NY, I take the bus/subway/train
The massive redevelopment of LGA (thankfully advancing at a rapid pace) has caused major congestion issues. Right now I am avoiding LGA.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
-Why use the roads from NYC to go to/from EWR when it's dead easy to just catch the train to/from Penn station?????? - it's mostly quicker anyway and you avoid the traffic. However the roads around EWR are OK by US standards. EWR is typically the most convenient for me.
Not the point I was trying to make... but I almost always use public transportation into the local airports, even with checked luggage. Only time when I'm taking a car is when it's on OPM. My travel preference may not align with the majority however.

Also on your point, given the Penn Station track rehab project this summer, I'm avoiding Penn like the plague this summer. Fortunately I live in Lower Manhattan so WTC and Atlantic Terminal are convenient. The Coach USA bus to EWR is convenient as well.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I always find it funny the stigma of EWR. I have been to NYC via JFK (from PS days) and via EWR. Whenever I have to come and go via EWR, and I tell Manhattan friends I'm heading to Jersey/EWR, there's almost a palpable "Jersey" huff to their response; kinda almost snobbish.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I always find it funny the stigma of EWR. I have been to NYC via JFK (from PS days) and via EWR. Whenever I have to come and go via EWR, and I tell Manhattan friends I'm heading to Jersey/EWR, there's almost a palpable "Jersey" huff to their response; kinda almost snobbish.
my usual response to that is to remind them of how prestigious of a neighborhood JFK is located in ... you know, Jamaica Queens

and nothing screams "Bel Air" and "Malibu" quite like the state of the (f)art Terminal 2 where DL runs a third of their JFK operation, lots of which is mainline

im personally mostly airport agnostic. Time is money, so whichever option gets me there at the time I want and at a reasonably right price gets my wallet. I don't shoot myself in the foot by caring about other people's opinions and paying far more or traveling at a much less desirable time.

AA and DL spend their 90s laughing at CO EWR. Today UA EWR is laughing all the way to the bank.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jeedk
AA and DL spend their 90s laughing at CO EWR. Today UA EWR is laughing all the way to the bank.
They can play-pretend that the "prestige" of JFK matters... but in EWR Terminal C, the gates are full, the planes are full, and the margins are best in class.

As you said, UA is laughing all the way to the bank ...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19

What's wrong w LGA?
In general nothing, however....

Originally Posted by EWR764
The massive redevelopment of LGA (thankfully advancing at a rapid pace) has caused major congestion issues. Right now I am avoiding LGA.
This.

I use LGA if I can check in before the sun rises, otherwise I'm going nowhere near the place. A few weeks ago we were routed past D and C terminals, then shunted to the west side of the Grand Central before being able to cross back over the highway in order to access Terminal B. It was not fun with an empty road, it would be insane with normal traffic.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
You can always remind them that Curbed voted Jersey City "Best Neighborhood in New York City" last year.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by AugustusM
You can always remind them that Curbed voted Jersey City "Best Neighborhood in New York City" last year.
That would not produce the desired effect as most NYers would be suspect of anything to do with Curbed immediately after hearing that.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by porciuscato
United needs to note that NYC cabs that go to EWR have to return empty, as do NJ cabs that go to Manhattan.

This is an unconscionable waste of resources and an utterly un-necessary increase in traffic.
Well it is a good thing because what those ads don't say is the travel time from EWR to NYC with the Pulaski closed especially in the AM.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Not the point I was trying to make... but I almost always use public transportation into the local airports, even with checked luggage. Only time when I'm taking a car is when it's on OPM. My travel preference may not align with the majority however.

Also on your point, given the Penn Station track rehab project this summer, I'm avoiding Penn like the plague this summer. Fortunately I live in Lower Manhattan so WTC and Atlantic Terminal are convenient. The Coach USA bus to EWR is convenient as well.
(Bolding mine)

While those NYC "airport express buses" are sometimes (usually?) convenient, they can be a nightmare at times:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28442696-post21.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.