Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ad Campaign: Mcgarrybowen & United Really Think You Should Consider Flying Out of EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
It's not just about driving times. It's about how EWR is simply an inferior airport for ground services. There are reasons why United has even publicly gone out to say that pulling out of JFK was a huge mistake.
I don't remember him saying it was a 'huge mistake', he said it was the 'wrong decision'. If it was such a 'huge mistake' he probably would have tried to undo it, which he didn't.

This ad campaign is UA trying to remedy the main problem of their EWR-only strategy - the psychological reluctance of NYC dwellers to cross state lines for the purpose of getting to the airport.

I guarantee that there are many, many people who instinctively prefer JFK to EWR because they think going to Jersey would be a hassle without ever having seriously tested if that's actually the case for them.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:34 am

I saw an ad for on the NY Times website a few weeks ago that was part of this campaign. It pointed out that you can get to EWR from NY Penn in 34 minutes.

I don't live in the NYC area but I always thought EWR was farther away – crossing state lines probably was a part of that perception.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I think this is an innovative way to get out the idea that EWR isn't really that hard to get to. Whether the taxi timer actually turns off when close to JFK or EWR - we'll have to see a real-life report.

Then again, I have friends in NY who'd rather deal with 2-hour drives to Long Island than visit me, because of a tunnel. It's just silly.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I've recently had some business trips to NJ and a few observations:

There are a ton of cool food/bar options - and even more going in.

With the renovations going on - it is a bit of a maze to checkin and get thru security - but not awful, it will be nice when the renovations are complete.

I got thru the elite TSA line fairly quickly mid-mornings

I was shocked how easy it is to go to Manhattan - from my hotel in East Rutherford, on the bus I generally got to Port Authority/Time Square area in about 15 minutes

Was surprised at my experience since EWR seems to get such a bad rap.

I like the ad campaign, very clever.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
This ad campaign is UA trying to remedy the main problem of their EWR-only strategy - the psychological reluctance of NYC dwellers to cross state lines for the purpose of getting to the airport.

I guarantee that there are many, many people who instinctively prefer JFK to EWR because they think going to Jersey would be a hassle without ever having seriously tested if that's actually the case for them.
Originally Posted by windhund
I saw an ad for on the NY Times website a few weeks ago that was part of this campaign. It pointed out that you can get to EWR from NY Penn in 34 minutes.

I don't live in the NYC area but I always thought EWR was farther away – crossing state lines probably was a part of that perception.
I'm always amused by the EWR vs. JFK argument. EWR really isn't that far from Manhattan which, lets face it, is what UA considers the real market here. FWIW, UA des still have a decent presence at LGA. I'm always amused that it gets no place in the discussion (yes - it's a disheveled pit but there are a lot of flights from it).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
United needs to note that NYC cabs that go to EWR have to return empty, as do NJ cabs that go to Manhattan.

This is an unconscionable waste of resources and an utterly un-necessary increase in traffic.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Bear96
And CVG isn't in Ohio.

And Baltimore WASHINGTON Int'l Airport isn't in DC. (Or Baltimore.)

And DCA and IAD are in VA (or at least you have to cross through VA to get to them and they are surrounded by VA - I think the airport properties technically are part of DC but are not contiguous with the rest of DC).

And neither JFK nor LGA are in Manhattan, for that matter.
And of course EWR isn't in Newark, not totally anyway - Terminal A is in Elizabeth, NJ. That's why a different taxi company serves Terminal A than the one that serves Terminals B & C.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
United needs to note that NYC cabs that go to EWR have to return empty, as do NJ cabs that go to Manhattan.

This is an unconscionable waste of resources and an utterly un-necessary increase in traffic.
Agreed about the waste of resources.

But is this really something United wants to get involved in? Even though you and I see it as a waste of resources, other people could see it as 'ensuring NY/NJ cabs have jobs' or ensuring that cabs don't have to compete against each other for customers/prices. Could be more bad press no matter how you spin it.

Seems more of a government thing. Not United's role/battle/job.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Time to the airport is one thing and time to the gate is another. Whereas security lines at EWR can be a total cluster and completely unpredictable, I am basically guaranteed that I can be at my gate in T8 at JFK within 5-10 mins of arriving at curbside with the short TSA-pre lines throughout the day.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by DELee
Last I looked, EWR isn't New York:

David
Your not the only one who thought Newark was not New York
https://portfolio.panynj.gov/2016/06...k-to-the-past/

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 21, 2017 at 2:25 pm Reason: repaired post
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Manhattan is an island. No matter how you slice it you need bridges or tunnels to get to the airport. I have lived an worked in the NY Metro area for over 30 years now and it is always a crap shoot getting off the island no matter where you are headed. In the years since Mr. Bloomberg was the mayor traffic has gotten much worst because it was his goal to make more people take mass transit so they put in pedestrian malls, closed streets, made some streets east/west thru streets--no turns between 8th and 3rd avenues. Traffic is traffic and it is likely to be bad no matter which way you go. Add some rain and it gets worse quickly.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by porciuscato

This is true for cabs, but not for car services Uber/Lyft/Old school (carmel/dial7). For those, only NJ plates can't pick up in NYC, but NY plates can pick up both directions.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by gene2632
Manhattan is an island. No matter how you slice it you need bridges or tunnels to get to the airport. I have lived an worked in the NY Metro area for over 30 years now and it is always a crap shoot getting off the island no matter where you are headed. In the years since Mr. Bloomberg was the mayor traffic has gotten much worst because it was his goal to make more people take mass transit so they put in pedestrian malls, closed streets, made some streets east/west thru streets--no turns between 8th and 3rd avenues. Traffic is traffic and it is likely to be bad no matter which way you go. Add some rain and it gets worse quickly.
^
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by DCA writer
To get back on topic, when Metro opens to IAD, I could easily see UA running ads touting the one-seat ride from downtown along the lines of the ads you see outside Penn Station talking up the NJ Transit ride to EWR.
Originally Posted by windhund
Good luck to anyone trying to take NJ Transit between EWR and Penn Station this summer... UA might want to pull those ads for a month until the construction is over

Originally Posted by daron4000
Time to the airport is one thing and time to the gate is another. Whereas security lines at EWR can be a total cluster and completely unpredictable, I am basically guaranteed that I can be at my gate in T8 at JFK within 5-10 mins of arriving at curbside with the short TSA-pre lines throughout the day.
This. I flew NH out of T7 yesterday - even without precheck it took me less than 5 minutes to get from the airtrain to the gate. Makes me miss the pmUA days Also the food options at T7 are better than OTG in EWR C lol.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DELee
Last I looked, EWR isn't New York:

David
And EWR is a pit. Every square inch of it. Fake news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.