Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boeing, United Airlines Announce Order for 100 737 MAX 10s and 4 777 300ERs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boeing, United Airlines Announce Order for 100 737 MAX 10s and 4 777 300ERs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:05 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
The 61 MAX 9 split kinda makes them like very nice candidates to be purely used for PS routes. (I refuse to use Coast naming).

PS is about frequency, not so much size of aircraft. The 757 is underutilized on PS routes in my opinion, 739 MAX is perfect.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EWR764
The DL configuration of the 321 (presumably UA's would look similar) sort of obviates the 757-effect of the 2L/R doors as they function more like overwing exits since they are not used for pax boarding and the crossaisle is not a class divider. The mid-cabin lav in Y is nice but UA has something similar with the -900 midlav. The Airbus spacelavs in the rear bulkhead are awful, arguably worse than the Boeing slimlav.

It's also worth noting that the MAX 10 comes with the 'hat rack' doors aft of the wing standard, unlike the -900ER where they are optional and plugged by most airlines where the 739ER is in a 2-class configuration. I wonder if UA would cluster lavs around that door (like the 753) to free up space at the back of the airplane and 'break up' the cabin, which is a configuration people seem to value?

Of course, Boeing has no answer for the wider A32X cross-section, but I can't say a slimlined, spacelav'ed A321 is a joy to fly in either.
Highlights a continued, and interesting, split in strategy between DL and UA. While UA doubles down on the 737 Max, DL has topped up their earlier A321 order (added 10 more today to bring the total on order to 122).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I stand corrected; from the doom/gloom/complaints about false Polaris advertising because of so few aircraft flying with the advertised seat, I was under the impression that there weren't that many 77W's currently flying.
Yes it would appear that Zodiac UK has caught up some. From where things stand now, when it's all said and done, the manufacturing issues will probably amount to an 8-10 week delay to the delivery of the final fame (vs. original schedule). Even still, UA doesn't seem to be particularly aggressive about induction once the a/c are fit out and ready for delivery. Induction is happening one frame at a time and it seems they are taking their time to iron out what may be a bit more than the usual new airplane squawks.

My concern is whether production resources for retrofit 767s and 777s may have been diverted to make up for the new-build 77W delays? It seems that the timetable for reconfigurations has slipped a bit.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Pleased with the conversion. I have a small preference for the 737, so I'm happy with UA further committing themselves to it. Would be fine with either Airbus or Boeing, but I like this move better.

Not crazy about 77Ws, let alone more, at this late stage. I think from a passenger perspective and a long-term financial perspective, I'd be buying more 787s or hurrying along the A350s.

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
UA deal with Boeing doesn't surprise me. For those pleading the 320/321 case, IMHO, we won't see UA orders with Airbus in the future.
Agree. Looking more and more that way. Fleet commonality is a big deal, and this is UA's chance to consolidate the narrowbody fleet. Once Boeing could match or beat the A321 economically, it becomes a slam-dunk for UA.

Originally Posted by spin88
United just looks at these things on a spreadsheet with costs and potential revenue slots (aka seats) they can jam into the plane, and passenger comfort is just not in UA's DNA at this point, so is not part of the decision process.
All smart airlines do that first and foremost. Economics rule. Always have, always will in a commodity industry. The last thing they'll be considering is whether or not a rogue passenger here and there will ultimately make a purchasing decision based on the space of a finger width.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The DL configuration of the 321 (presumably UA's would look similar) sort of obviates the 757-effect of the 2L/R doors as they function more like overwing exits since they are not used for pax boarding and the crossaisle is not a class divider.
Keep in mind that the Airbus plan on the A321neo line is to remove that door and add over-wing exits to increase max seat count potential.

The Airbus spacelavs in the rear bulkhead are awful, arguably worse than the Boeing slimlav.
Yup.

It's also worth noting that the MAX 10 comes with the 'hat rack' doors aft of the wing standard, unlike the -900ER where they are optional and plugged by most airlines where the 739ER is in a 2-class configuration.
With the planned pax counts on the MAX10/321neo I do not think that plugging that exit is viable. They need the emergency egress capacity.

And, yes, Boeing is advertising the MAX10 with the Vantage flat-bed biz seat (or something very similar) on board.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Makes sense as the MAX 10 appears to be able to do anything the 9 can do (which is more than the -900ER), with more pax.
Except fly that last 300nm.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737max10/index.page
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Transcons on a 737? I hope they install comfortable seats.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Some stats from Paris:

860 NB
53 WB
48 Regional
77 Turboprop

1038 total

The Max 10 stands at 291 commitments.

Boeing stands at 76% to Airbus at 23% of current orders.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by AugustusM
Some stats from Paris:

860 NB
53 WB
48 Regional
77 Turboprop

1038 total

The Max 10 stands at 291 commitments.

Boeing stands at 76% to Airbus at 23% of current orders.
As Mark Twain supposedly said:

"there are lies, damned lies and statistics."

How many of those "new" orders are just changes to MAX-10

United Airlines comes to mind.

Just to be clear, I'm not attacking you the poster, but whoever came up with these statistics.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:36 pm
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by oopl
Transcons on a 757 currently? Same tube.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
How many of those "new" orders are just changes to MAX-10.
Only thing I have found is that UA is converting 100 of the 161 they ordered from 9's to MAX 10s.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oopl
BOS - LAX is a 737 on UA/DL/AA...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The 737 and the 757 are the same width, although the 757 feels more open (which may be the design, or also having 2L entrance). This said, I much, much, much prefer the wider (by 6" A321/A321neo). United continues with this order to get the cheapest, narrowest planes possible, and will be the "customer uncomfortable" airline moving forward.
I think that will depend on the seats they choose. The A321 is the same long thin metal tube, and buying the slightly wider fuselage does not guaranteed UA will put in wider seats - to the contrary, they are likely to test and certify the same 17" wide seats that go into the 737/787/773 for any A321 order.

Some airlines managed to put somewhat comfortable and slightly wider seats in their 737s, UA could do the same - but the problem is they won't. That isn't a Boeing v Airbus issue, that's a United v Customer issue. Seat width on a single aisle aircraft has no correlation to CASM or RASM, it's the same 6 seats across - so there is no metrics or performance penalty for choosing a better, more comfortable seat vs something off the shelf, narrow, thin and uncomfortable.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EmailKid
As Mark Twain supposedly said:

"there are lies, damned lies and statistics."

How many of those "new" orders are just changes to MAX-10

United Airlines comes to mind.

Just to be clear, I'm not attacking you the poster, but whoever came up with these statistics.
the only real volume of conversion is the 737max10, and that figure is 164 as of this posting, so 85% of those are still very much real.

Of course those numbers also include meaningless things like "memorandum of understanding".

The Max9 / Max10 dynamic will nearly perfectly parallel that of 900 / 900ER.

Now the the waiting game is on regarding what Boeing would do about the "Max 7.5" concept
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

The 737 and the 757 are the same width, although the 757 feels more open (which may be the design, or also having 2L entrance). This said, I much, much, much prefer the wider (by 6" A321/A321neo). United continues with this order to get the cheapest, narrowest planes possible, and will be the "customer uncomfortable" airline moving forward.
DL operates 165 737s and has another 51 on order for a potential grand total of 216.

But I'm sure you'll know to schedule your flights to perfectly avoid something that constitutes 23.7% of DL's mainline narrowbody fleet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 20, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: snarky comment removed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.