Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NYC area (EWR/LGA/HPN) + PHL storms / waiver 19 June 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Event - Northeast Severe Weather

Airports:Travel to/from/connecting through

New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)
New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK) ???
New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
White Plains, NY (HPN)

Original travel date(s): June 19, 2017

Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before June 23, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Weather out of EWR 18 June 2017 - Storm- caused delays possible?

I'm on UA81 EWR-MAN 7.35PM departure. Looks like we.might have some stores. Anyone more clued up than me know if they are likely to impact TATL departures. Thx
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:49 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres

Cutrrently on UA 1961, deviating all the way down thru VA to get to EWR from LAX. Looks lile we will just beat the delays as storms settle over EWR.

Beautiful flying by the UA pilot today, followed him on the radar circum navigating some nasty red spots on the map. Masterfully done UA!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Westbound 1960 delayed several hours

but status from UA homepage indicated departed and with ~7 minutes ealy arrival. Major discrepancy! My boss texting me about being back at the gate with the option to disembark, while US status showing as above. This can't be a good way to run an airline!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Left on 755 today heading to ORD and we went nearly the same route. I was asked to VDB from first to a direct to PDX to make room but I passed since it was only $100 and I didn't want to take the chance of getting stuck in EWR as the flight they wanted me to move to was leaving after 6:00.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Noticed the travel waiver as well - which was nice, until my 5:15 SFO-EWR cancelled. Nothing else before or after until 11:30 pm. Here's hoping the UC is not too crowded.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
UA 78 diverting to CLE

I'm on UA 78 being diverted to Cleveland. Still need to make it to IAD and then GRU.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:56 pm

Looks like UA 1640 is diverting over Maryland, my guess is it's heading towards IAD.

Edit: looks like it's doing circles of Southern NJ.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
A weather waiver has been issued

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

and from the FAA website for EWR (and everything from iAD/DCA north to BOS looks screwed )

Due to WX / THUNDERSTORMS and WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS and WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours and 56 minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by ICN1K
I'm on UA 78 being diverted to Cleveland. Still need to make it to IAD and then GRU.
I flew UA 141 into IAD from BCN and the plane landed just in time. As I was riding those weird IAD shuttle machines into customs I overheard Air Traffic Control making adjustments on the fly as a result of the approaching storms.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am sitting at my desk. I live on the Manhattan side of the Hudson River. You can't get any farther west than my "street" in Manhattan without hitting the Hudson (well, technically, there is the West Side Highway).

We are having some bad storms here. It's dark, cloudy, rainy, and windy. Usually, I can see the Time-Warner Center from my window. Right now, I can only see the building across the courtyard from us. Visibility is low. The rain is getting heavier, and it is falling diagonally, almost horizontally. Earlier, there was visible lightning. Now, you can hear thunder.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
This looks nasty. I think 281 average delay for Newark is the highest I have ever seen.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/
Attached Images  
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I am 15 minutes from EWR and there has been thunder and lightening for the past 15 minutes as of 6:25pm EST.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by FL390
This looks nasty. I think 281 average delay for Newark is the highest I have ever seen.
It really worries me that with changing climates storms are getting more intense, and we hear more and more reports of severe turbulence injuring people...and it will keep getting worse...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:53 pm

56 (Paris-Newark) didn't have a great day. Diverted to Hartford. Took off for Newark again and diverted to Boston. Looks like it's still sitting in Boston.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
56 (Paris-Newark) didn't have a great day. Diverted to Hartford. Took off for Newark again and diverted to Boston. Looks like it's still sitting in Boston.
Don't worry, it's all hosed today as DL153 (AGP-JFK) diverted to PVD and AA1889 (CLT-BDL) is also on the ground at PVD.

And I thought that the biggest issue this week was connecting through PHX tomorrow.

ETA: Listening to LiveATC, they just offered a routing for PVD-MCO via SYR. And the kicker is that the approved altitude is 10,000 until SYR, then can request higher.

Last edited by fgirard; Jun 19, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.