Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fezzington
The current menu can be found online here

March 2018 BoB updates:
  • New: Breakfast "Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich" - egg, canadian bacon, cheddar on a biscuit. Replaces Sourdough sandwich.
  • New: Breakfast "Mixed Berry breakfast bowl" - berries, nuts, and granola, with a Chobani "greek yogurt drink". Replaces Yogurt & fruit plate
  • "Updated": Mezze sampler, new description is "Wheat berry salad with quinoa, edamame and corn, sun-dried tomato basil hummus, almonds and triangle pita pieces"
  • ex-Canada is getting a new menu-
    • Breakfast: Maple Ham Sandwich
    • PM: Hummus Sampler
    • PM: Barbecue Burger on a Pretzel Bun
    • PM: Tomato Pesto Chicken Wrap
March Snack Shop Changes:
  • Adding Nuts.com CB&J Mix
  • Adding Chipotle Grass-Fed Beef Jerky
  • "Updating" Classic box (no details)
  • Removing Chex Mix
  • Something about a cheese box and IPA combo

The Deep Dish on United's Exciting New Menu Items
Chicago-style deep dish pizza tops a list of delicious new offerings on board July 1
Colorado-based New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA takes off September 1

CHICAGO, June 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United is adding something new for every taste with several new in-flight menu items available for purchase. Starting July 1, customers can experience a slice of Chicago with personal-size Uno's deep-dish pizza, and United will expand its onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA beginning September 1.

United customers will also have more Choice Menu options from which to choose, including Bistro on Board items like the breakfast egg white flatbread; Uno's deep dish spinach, cheese and garlic pizza; Thai-style Chicken Ciabatta sandwich; and the new, Mediterranean-inspired Protein Box, featuring a healthy mix of almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad.

United has also refreshed some of its popular Snack Shop items, including the Tapas Box, a customer favorite. The updated Tapas Box includes flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit, ginger mints and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel.

"As part of our ongoing commitment to putting our customers at the center of everything we do, we are always listening to their feedback when it comes to food choices on board our flights," said Jimmy Samartzis, United's vice president of Catering Operations. "Our customers told us they are craving pizza, and we heard them. We are excited to offer two new options a breakfast egg white flatbread served on morning flights and deep dish pizza from hometown favorite Uno's on afternoon and evening flights."

All new menu items and refreshed snackboxes will be available for purchase on flights within the U.S. with a scheduled flight time of more than 3.5 hours and on all international flights from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Snack Shop items including the Tapas, Classic, Select and Ben Flyin Kid's snackboxes are available on all flights over 1.5 hours within North America, including the Caribbean and select Latin American cities, Singapore and Australia. Learn more about where you can get your snacks here.

United's popular cheeseburger and fries ($11.99) will remain on the menu. View United's refreshed Choice Menu with the new items here.

Code:
New Choice Menu options July 1 
 Uno's deep dish pizza $9.99 Personal-size, spinach, cheese and garlic
 Egg white flatbread $9.99 Egg white crumble, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, spinach, parsley, herbed ricotta on focaccia bread
 Thai-style chicken ciabatta $9.99 Grilled chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, carrots, red peppers, Thai-style cilantro aioli on ciabatta bread
 Protein Box $9.99 Almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad
 Fresh-Start Breakfast Combo $12.99 Egg white flatbread, Chobani Greek yogurt, fresh fruit served with whole grain oat granola
 Pizza and beer combo $13.99 Uno's deep dish pizza and Miller Lite

Refreshed Choice Menu items July 1 
 Tapas Snack Box $9.59 Featuring new flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel and ginger mints
 Ben Flyin Adventure Bear Kid's Snack Box $5.59 Mini chocolate chip cookies, raisins, squeezable applesauce, and Goldfish. Includes an activity sheet with games and CrayAngles crayons

New beers September 1 
 New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA $7.99 Brewed in Colorado, New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA gives aromas of citrus (specifically orange and grapefruit) as well as some tropical fruit notes and a hint of toasted bread
 Sam Adams Oktoberfest $7.99 Born in Boston, Oktoberfest is a delicious harmony of sweet flavors, including caramel and toffee
 Blue Point Toasted Lager $7.99 Brewed in New York, Blue Point Lager is made with six grains to perfect a balanced flavor of malt and hops, and a special proprietary lager yeast to give Toasted Lager an exceptional, long-lasting smooth finish
Print Wikipost

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Toaster oven pizza is pretty excellent, so I see no reason these won't be good. The only really awful frozen pizza I've ever had was Connie's, as they seem to dump a gallon of corn syrup in the sauce. I'm firmly in the "this is good news" camp.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zymm
Toaster oven pizza is pretty excellent, so I see no reason these won't be good. The only really awful frozen pizza I've ever had was Connie's, as they seem to dump a gallon of corn syrup in the sauce. I'm firmly in the "this is good news" camp.
They won't be good because they're a crap product. I assume UA went with low bid.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Sorry for my ignorance, but do the Airbus narrowbodies have ovens to heat these? I know the 737s do, and the Airbus didn't, at least for a while, but not sure if they do hot food know on the 319/320. Scheduled on one next week and may try this if it's available.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:54 pm

Not sure about US, but I had hot food on A320 on many "low cost" airlines in Asia, so surely they have means to heat it up on that aircraft.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Sorry for my ignorance, but do the Airbus narrowbodies have ovens to heat these? I know the 737s do, and the Airbus didn't, at least for a while, but not sure if they do hot food know on the 319/320. Scheduled on one next week and may try this if it's available.
My understanding is that all mainline aircraft have ovens, while no United Express planes have them.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
My understanding is that all mainline aircraft have ovens, while no United Express planes have them.
At merger time, the Airbuses did not have ovens. They have since been added back, so yes, all mainline aircraft now have ovens.

UAX aircraft - as you said - do not.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The Deep Dish on United's Exciting New Menu Items
Chicago-style deep dish pizza tops a list of delicious new offerings on board July 1
Colorado-based New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA takes off September 1

CHICAGO, June 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United is adding something new for every taste with several new in-flight menu items available for purchase. Starting July 1, customers can experience a slice of Chicago with personal-size Uno's deep-dish pizza, and United will expand its onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA beginning September 1.

United customers will also have more Choice Menu options from which to choose, including Bistro on Board items like the breakfast egg white flatbread; Uno's deep dish spinach, cheese and garlic pizza; Thai-style Chicken Ciabatta sandwich; and the new, Mediterranean-inspired Protein Box, featuring a healthy mix of almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad.

United has also refreshed some of its popular Snack Shop items, including the Tapas Box, a customer favorite. The updated Tapas Box includes flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit, ginger mints and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel.

"As part of our ongoing commitment to putting our customers at the center of everything we do, we are always listening to their feedback when it comes to food choices on board our flights," said Jimmy Samartzis, United's vice president of Catering Operations. "Our customers told us they are craving pizza, and we heard them. We are excited to offer two new options – a breakfast egg white flatbread served on morning flights and deep dish pizza from hometown favorite Uno's on afternoon and evening flights."

All new menu items and refreshed snackboxes will be available for purchase on flights within the U.S. with a scheduled flight time of more than 3.5 hours and on all international flights from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Snack Shop items including the Tapas, Classic, Select and Ben Flyin Kid's snackboxes are available on all flights over 1.5 hours within North America, including the Caribbean and select Latin American cities, Singapore and Australia. Learn more about where you can get your snacks here.

United's popular cheeseburger and fries ($11.99) will remain on the menu. View United's refreshed Choice Menu with the new items here.
Code:
New Choice Menu options
July 1	Price	Details
Uno's deep dish pizza $9.99  Personal-size, spinach, cheese and garlic
Egg white flatbread $9.99  Egg white crumble, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, spinach, parsley, herbed ricotta on focaccia bread
Thai-style chicken ciabatta $9.99	  Grilled chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, carrots, red peppers, Thai-style cilantro aioli on ciabatta bread 
Protein Box $9.99  Almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad
Fresh-Start Breakfast Combo $12.99  Egg white flatbread, Chobani Greek yogurt, fresh fruit served with whole grain oat granola
Pizza and beer combo $13.99  Uno's deep dish pizza and Miller Lite

Refreshed Choice Menu items July 1	
Tapas Snack Box $9.59  Featuring new flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel and ginger mints
Ben Flyin Adventure Bear Kid's Snack Box $5.59  Mini chocolate chip cookies, raisins, squeezable applesauce, and Goldfish. Includes an activity sheet with games and CrayAngles crayons

New beer  September 1	
New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA  $7.99  Brewed in Colorado, New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA gives aromas of citrus (specifically orange and grapefruit) as well as some tropical fruit notes and a hint of toasted bread
Sam Adams Oktoberfest  $7.99  Born in Boston, Oktoberfest is a delicious harmony of sweet flavors, including caramel and toffee
Blue Point Toasted Lager $7.99  Brewed in New York, Blue Point Lager is made with six grains to perfect a balanced flavor of malt and hops, and a special proprietary lager yeast to give Toasted Lager an exceptional, long-lasting smooth finish

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2017 at 4:21 pm Reason: moved Transcon E+ hot meals to exisiting thread
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Those are good new beer selections. Oktoberfest is the best of Sam Adams seasonals, and great to see UA diversifying beyond Goose for crafts ^
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
UA has a huge profit margin for selling these beers. I only pay $1.25 from Sam's Club. I would never pay $7.99 anywhere for a bottle of beer.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Those are good new beer selections. Oktoberfest is the best of Sam Adams seasonals, and great to see UA diversifying beyond Goose for crafts ^
I wonder if they are doing rotating beers from each of their hubs. Goose = Chicago, Lagunitas = Petaluma (near SF), New Belgium = Ft Collins (near Denver).
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
UA has a huge profit margin for selling these beers. I only pay $1.25 from Sam's Club. I would never pay $7.99 anywhere for a bottle of beer.
And?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
It's nice to see drinkable beers slowly creeping aboard ^
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Can you imagine how the bars in midtown Manhattan, where I work, are making out by charging $10 a pint/bottle for worse beer?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
It's July 2nd. The new menu went into effect yesterday. Any feedback/pictures?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:59 pm

I had a pizza on IAH-ORD this afternoon. It's served in the same bowl that the hot Y breakfast scramble comes in. I didn't think to take a picture unfortunately but I have to say visually it looked just like the menu. It tasted pretty good, was hot, and the crust was not soggy but rather had the deep dish texture I'm used to. It's a toss up between the pizza and burger now. I give United a pat for changing it up and serving something new.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.