Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Seat assignment fees for LH flights booked via UA has a moving target, consult LH Seat selection and advance seat reservation for present rules

As of July 2021
Codeshares are now included
UA economy award tickets -- no fee
Paid economy tickets
(without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance, intraEurope may be fee for higher economy fares
Paid Premium Economy (without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance
Business / First -- no fee, even for codeshares

For those seats with advance selection fees, there will be no fee at check-in for available seats

Print Wikipost

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
The UA/LH transatlantic JV gets more and more of a joke! What happened to metal neutrality?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I have just been informed by a Lufthansa phone agent that a "new policy" was implemented last week which disallows advance seat assignments on codeshares operated by LH Group carriers, even in paid business class.

He stated that the seat maps have been "taken away" from the agents and that there is nothing they can do about this.

Of course the only reason I book the codeshare is to meet UA PQD requirements.
It's inconceivable to me that one would be unable to select a seat for paid J. In fact, this is why I won't fly British Airways (BA). Even natively, my understanding is that in paid J on BA one cannot select a seat during advanced booking without paying additional $. And, let me add, I firmly feel that J is J regardless of fare code or elite status. If one has purchased a J ticket, it's insulting to prod them for additional money to select a seat.

As long as people put up with it, airlines will do things like this. I won't tolerate it. I'll fly another airline, and if unavailable or otherwise, then I just won't go.

Last edited by livebetter_travelmore; Jun 17, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
I assume this is going forward only? I have a flight booked a couple months back where I can still see the seats. But now I'm paranoid to click anything to test.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ctbarron
I assume this is going forward only? I have a flight booked a couple months back where I can still see the seats. But now I'm paranoid to click anything to test.
My existing seats seem safe.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Does it matter if you input the LH record locator number versus the UA one. One week ago I was able to select Business seats from MAD-FRA-IAD (all LH flights) by inputting the LHRL on the LH website.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Does it matter if you input the LH record locator number versus the UA one. One week ago I was able to select Business seats from MAD-FRA-IAD (all LH flights) by inputting the LHRL on the LH website.
No - LH PNR on LH site, and I can seat select only for LH/LH flights, not UA/LH (i.e. UA flight number, LH metal).
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Disappointing. I usually only fly LH in Europe and not on transatlantic flights, so the seat selection isn't as crucial. But, this is still unfortunate. I always liked being able to usually get an exit row window on their intra-Europe flights. Doubt I'll be able to get those anymore at T-24. Pretty much the only good seat with those garbage slim seats that are harder than prison cell beds.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Very, very frustrating policy. Thanks for the info, Kacee.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Angry

It just beggars belief that we're dealing with this in 2017.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2017 at 12:59 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:12 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
It's inconceivable to me that one would be unable to select a seat for paid J. In fact, this is why I won't fly British Airways (BA). Even natively, my understanding is that in paid J on BA one cannot select a seat during advanced booking without paying additional $. And, let me add, I firmly feel that J is J regardless of fare code or elite status. If one has purchased a J ticket, it's insulting to prod them for additional money to select a seat.
Not correct. All oneWorld Emerald and Sapphires plus full fare (J inventory) get seat assignment for free (including Premium seats).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I have just been informed by a Lufthansa phone agent that a "new policy" was implemented last week which disallows advance seat assignments on codeshares operated by LH Group carriers, even in paid business class.

He stated that the seat maps have been "taken away" from the agents and that there is nothing they can do about this.

Of course the only reason I book the codeshare is to meet UA PQD requirements.
Not for all LH Group carriers, I was just able to get seats on my UA codeshared OS J.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Not for all LH Group carriers, I was just able to get seats on my UA codeshared OS J.
Good to know.

Probably best to assume this is only LH, unless/until there are reports on other LH Group carriers.

And I'm still hoping this turns out to just be a temporary glitch.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
And I'm still hoping this turns out to just be a temporary glitch.
Hoping this as well. Without knowing the nuances of the JV agreement, I can't think of the reason for doing this. Seems like they'd want to go after 016 tickets before codeshares (although that would be equally, if not more, frustrating).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Not a glitch. I can confirm on both native LH and 016 stock, no seat selection in J. I had to call and pay another $35 or $17, depended on distance. And it was per segment. Not good, really poor show by LH and IMHO an unwarranted money grab....
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Not correct. All oneWorld Emerald and Sapphires plus full fare (J inventory) get seat assignment for free (including Premium seats).
Perhaps you glossed over the point you quoted where I emphasized that I feel that "J is J" regardless of fare code and status. You're obviously entitled to your own opinion on that aspect, but if one is purchasing a ticket in J, then I think they should have the opportunity to select a specific seat without additional expense, and not just at T-24, either. Flying today has grown more and more frustrating leading a number of people, self included, to selecting a flight that best meets their needs regardless of airline including those in which they may not hold any status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.