Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New "Basic First" service today IAH - PHX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Basic First" service today IAH - PHX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by username
The ERJ145 flight I was on Friday had a great FA who walked up and down the aisle many many times to offer drinks. He did not use the cart. So, every time someone wanted something, he went back and got it. He probably walked up and down 40 times during the 2 hour flight. Even though I could have used another water, I did not ask him because that would make him make another trip.
This guy really wanted to get his 10,000 steps a day in, huh?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
If you want or need something, use the call button. That's what they are there for.
As we have heard, not every FA feels this way. I've heard my seat opponent chastised for using it in this way - "this is only for emergencies!"

I suspect those FAs who provide "basic first" service are the same ones who feel the call button should not be used except in emergencies.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by LarryJ
If you want or need something, use the call button. That's what they are there for. No need to do without because you can't get the F/As attention without it.
If I want something and can't catch the eye of an FA, my practice is to go to the galley and politely ask. Also, because I'm a naturally chatty person and enjoy engaging in small talk, I frequently will chat a bit with the FA as they prepare what I want. I've been doing it this way for all my decades of flying, and have never felt that my approach was anything but welcome by FAs.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
+1. I'm also coming around to the opinion that dinging and waiting for a response is arguably less hassle to the crew than interrupting them in whatever they're doing to make a request.
And also less annoying than tweeting a picture of someone without their permission.

I'm constantly amazed at how social media has made people afraid of direct communication and made passive-aggressive behavior acceptable. Seems like a lot less effort and better outcome to either ring the bell or politely say "Excuse me, could you please..."
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
This guy really wanted to get his 10,000 steps a day in, huh?

I talked to him a little. Part of it is so it does not block the aisle. Another thing he said was that they now have these new carts that don't have the flaps flipping out on top to provide more space. So, he could not lay all his stuff out and he prefers to do things in the galley.

This guy was just amazing - very thorough safety check, which I think annoyed some people (like when he told that 1K who got ice at the exit row to keep the shades down during takeoff), but followed by great service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.