Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Lounge options at IAD - Where do I go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Lounge options at IAD - Where do I go?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe there are also reports that the LH lounge will accept UA domestic F pax even if not *G. Not a lot of such on FT though, so the reports are very sporadic.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Artpen100
What IAD really needs is an actual Polaris lounge in C/D for international flights.
What IAD really needs is a new, modern C/D concourse to replace the 20 year old "temporary" dungeon.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
There's no Polaris service on that route. If you are talking about UA 340, that's generally a 3-class internationally-configured 777, but it's not branded as and does not include any Polaris "extras". It's domestic F. Nicer hard product, but still F.

Not even the UC access which goes with TCON premium.

That's the bad news. The good news is that there are tons of great food & drink options on the C-D concourse at IAD.
These tons of great food & drink options have somehow eluded me so far.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by drewguy
The only UCs are in the C/D concourse, which requires a ride on the train or bus (~15-20 mins one way). Given your desire to use passes, I assume you are not Star Alliance Gold, but if you are either the Lufthansa or Turkish lounges in Concourse B are your best bet.
Yup. Also, can use the UC club card for those (which I assume you don't have) or Priority Pass for the AF or BA lounges (with frequent capacity limits for AF - though it is really one of my favorites - and time limits at BA that exclude the afternoon). I gather you will be arriving in C/D, so using a pass would be okay before going to A/B, and I'd just go to the one closest to the gate I came in on. One or more can get really crowded depending on the time. But you will find the A/B concourse nicer than any of the United clubs, with plenty of nice places to get bite and a drink. I will go to A/B when flying out of C/D when I have time, but I would not do the reverse.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Sorry to piggyback on the OP, but my wife and I are flying DEN-IAD-BRU with IAD-BRU on SN. Which United Club is "closest" to terminal B? We have some passes we need to burn. Thanks.

Chris
Use the Lufthansa lounge in terminal B, assuming you're Star Gold, traveling in F or C, or are a paid club member.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you are *G, you can use the LH lounge at IAD.
Which is where you should go anyway, although it is in a different terminal than UA.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by halls120
What IAD really needs is a new, modern C/D concourse to replace the 20 year old "temporary" dungeon.
Yes, except it will then be a disaster flying UA from IAD, just like it is at LAX, LOL.

What they need to do is build a new terminal, not refurb the existing one.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by findark
I believe there are also reports that the LH lounge will accept UA domestic F pax even if not *G. Not a lot of such on FT though, so the reports are very sporadic.
I can confirm that they will, at least last year they did. The LH lounge is a far enough trek away that they don't get too many UA people mooching off of their far superior lounge.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
One thing I really wish UA would do is take over the old AA admirals club location across from D7 or so. It would definitely help with the overcrowded in the UA clubs.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nevansm
One thing I really wish UA would do is take over the old AA admirals club location across from D7 or so. It would definitely help with the overcrowded in the UA clubs.
Once they take one of the existing UCs for Polaris, this would be a critical add. Losing one of the existing 3 is going to make the remaining clubs untenable.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by halls120
Once they take one of the existing UCs for Polaris, this would be a critical add. Losing one of the existing 3 is going to make the remaining clubs untenable.
I've wondered, since a lot of the people in the UA clubs seem to be on the International flights, so it might not add customers, just move them around.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by roadkit
What they need to do is build a new terminal, not refurb the existing one.
That's the plan in the undetermined long run - and it will be built on top of the aerotrain station, not 500 yards from it.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by drewguy
The only UCs are in the C/D concourse, which requires a ride on the train or bus (~15-20 mins one way). Given your desire to use passes, I assume you are not Star Alliance Gold, but if you are either the Lufthansa or Turkish lounges in Concourse B are your best bet.
No longer *G after having been 1P/Gold for seven years or so. I've transitted IAD a bunch of times, but only departed from A or B once, so I was just trying to see if the C or D lounge was a quicker trip to schlep it to the other side of the airport.

Chris
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
I can confirm that they will, at least last year they did. The LH lounge is a far enough trek away that they don't get too many UA people mooching off of their far superior lounge.
Indeed.. never even been to any lounge at IAD. Always too busy running the length of the dumb tunnel from the C train to make sure I don't miss my flight
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by Artpen100
What IAD really needs is an actual Polaris lounge in C/D for international flights. I remember thinking last time I was in one of the UA C/D lounges that if I was an occasional flyer and had actually paid for a UA business class ticket and that was what I got, I'd be sorely disappointed.
This. This, this, and more this.

From 2014-2016, I flew out of IAD weekly. Even though I have a UC membership, I found myself at Bar Symon far more often than I did at the United Club. Even when my flight was at some of the C gates, I still preferred taking the moon buggy ride to D, sitting at Bar Symon, and then walking to going into the UC.

About the only exception was the C8 Club, but that was at least partially because it's so off the main highway, that it was often less crowded. Even on Thursday afternoons.

-mvitale

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.