UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Been looking at option for the past hour......

I think our only hope is they move the flight back 4-6 hours and arrive early afternoon in HKG
In the past, I was able to GPU EWR-SIN somewhat easily then use SIN as a jumping point to other SE asia destinations (ie. Indonesia). I guess I will have to use HKG now.

It seems like UA's goal is to have all intl destinations direct from the US. (except the island hopper)

I haven't actually monitored SFO-SIN for a while. Is it still pretty much always R=0?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by uanj
Wow, I was thinking it would be BNE for the next announcement!
I was hoping for BKK but glad that this route is launching.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Bummer can't fly BKK-SIN-LAX from what I see the earliest BKK-SIN flight arrives at 11:15am.

Yes I know it is longer than going BKK-NRT-LAX but I hate having two flights of those lengths. I'd rather have a 2-2.5h and then a really long one.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA
UGGGHHHH! I'm booked EWR-HKG-SIN over Thanksgiving weekend. I hope this gets postponed until after that. I don't mind flying ULH on the pmCO 777 in E+. Now, a west coast connection and the 787 E+ seats + an extra 5 hours travel time!

I also preferred arriving SIN late in the evening-head straight to hotel and sleep after the long trip. Now only option is to arrive in morning and push through the first day--makes dealing with jet lag much harder IMHO.

Last edited by pbartp; Jun 1, 2017 at 11:10 am Reason: Additional info - grammar correction
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Bummer can't fly BKK-SIN-LAX from what I see the earliest BKK-SIN flight arrives at 11:15am.

Yes I know it is longer than going BKK-NRT-LAX but I hate having two flights of those lengths. I'd rather have a 2-2.5h and then a really long one.
Same here. Last time I went to BKK, I flew EWR-HKG (overnight) HKG-BKK

I had the flexibility and it was far cheaper to stay a night in a hotel in HKG and book a separate ticket to BKK.

I much prefer to maximize my time in J. UA's options were mainly EWR-NRT then NRT-BKK (in Y on *A)
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by cur
so what will happen to the hkg inflight base? still enough flying?
The HKG base will remain .
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by seenitall
Boeing generally has a history of stating the spec's for its planes more conservatively than Airbus.

Note, too, that flying westbound there are a number of alternates as you get closer to SIN -- such a MNL or SGN. So if fuel runs short, you needn't get your feet wet.
I have seen nothing published suggesting that the 787-9 actually has a longer range than the published figures, and nothing suggesting the range of the A350-9 is shorter. Both A/C have had enough useage on ULR flights that I assume we would know if the figures were wrong by now.

The planes are infact run side by side on SFO-SIN, both going against the wind. United's (789) flight is weight limited, with blocked off seats, and likely no cargo, for part of the year. Perhaps I have missed it, but I see no signs that SQ (359) has had to block off seats.

That said, no one is going to run out of fuel (and MNL would not be a diversion point, the routing is similar to that of the LAX/SFO-HKG flights, just a little to the west) given the extra 300-350 sm needed for the flight, United will likely either (a) add a tech stop, or (b) will block of even more seats.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by spin88
Well the 350-9 has a slightly (about 500 sm) longer range than the 787-9. So color me surprised. While I would not expect much cargo demand for LAX-SIN (the issue is westbound vs the jet stream) the plane is going to go out weight restricted much of the time.

My guess is that they have demand from corporate accounts ex-LA (mostly media/advertising/creative) but are losing enough of it via SFO to SQ's better product, and as a result, since they have spare aircraft, decided to just accept blocking seats to be able to try to secure that LAX premium traffic.

It will be interesting to see if SQ just matches them, and is willing to run the A359 weight restricted, until they get the ULH version.
Actually the 275 tonne A350-900 has slightly shorter range than the 787-9, coming in at 7,590 nm as opposed to the 787-9's 7,635 nm range. While the A350-900 has a roughly ten per cent higher capacity as compared to the 787-9, SQ's A350-900 configuration seats only one more passenger as compared to UA's 787-9. This will change when the 280 tonne A350-900 debuts in 2020. Unlike the ULR 280 tonne version, this does not have extra fuel tanks and will have a range of 8,100 nm. With SQ's low density on their A350-900s, the standard 280 tonne version could do LAX-SIN without blocking seats and could probably carry some cargo in the summer.

LAX-SIN and QF's upcoming PER-LHR will really stretch the limits of the 787-9. QF's configuration will seat 236 whereas UA seats 252. However UA's 787-9 seats more upfront than either QF's 787-9 configuration or SQ's A350-900 configuration. Granted its an outmoded 2-2-2 product and lack of a W product, UA should have no trouble selling upfront. It may become problematic in the future when SQ restarts LAX-SIN but its a good sign UA was able to hold its own on SFO-SIN when competing directly with SQ. Obviously, that probably won't be sustainable in the long run if the 787-9s are the last UA aircraft to receive the Polaris hard product. Sooner versus later UA will launch a W product and I imagine it would be installed on the 787-9 at the same time as the Polaris hard product.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by pbartp
UGGGHHHH! I'm booked EWR-HKG-SIN over Thanksgiving weekend. I hope this gets postponed until after that. I don't mind flying ULH on the pmCO 777 in E+. Now, a west coast connection and the 787 E+ seats + an extra 5 hours travel time!
And why would UA postpone this after just announcing?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by spin88
... and MNL would not be a diversion point, the routing is similar to that of the LAX/SFO-HKG ...
I remember looking at the routes of SFO-SIN several times and it was not uncommon for them to "turn south" towards SIN earlier and fly right over MNL. I would assume LAX-SIN would have a similar routing. I don't see any reason why MNL couldn't be a diversion point, it just depends on what routing they fly.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I was hoping for BKK but glad that this route is launching.
I doubt about that. It going to happens. You will see LAX or SFO-BKK nonstop by operated 787-9 Dreamliner. If they have any weight restrictions.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pbartp

I also preferred arriving SIN late in the evening-head straight to hotel and sleep after the long trip. Now only option is to arrive in morning and push through the first day--makes dealing with jet lag much harder IMHO.
You're better off having UA rebook you via NRT (UA - NH) instead of flying the extra 5 hours.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by coinboy66
I'm curious to know what will happen with the 777 from ORD that would have flown the HKG-SIN leg. Are they going to adjust the HKG-ORD schedule to let it turn around right away, or leave it on the ground at HKG overnight to fly the return the next morning?
I've got an idea: use it to fly HKG-BKK, of course!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS
Exciting new route indeed!

Why is J blocked on the inaugural? I'd love to get on it if possible!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I've got an idea: use it to fly HKG-BKK, of course!
^^^^^^^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.