Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: Continental
Yes

I had the meal ewr - sfo and asked for the snack box. Got it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Flew the 77W yesterday from EWR-SFO. Great new Polaris seat (7A) and really solid service. The Duck Confit ravioli was actually quite tasty. Ice cream was back, as well as some of the other Polaris dessert and cheese offerings, served On offer from the trolley, and not pre-plated. Surprisingly elegant.

So much better in every way from the 752, I'd flown the other direction the day before. Unfortunately, the service quality remains inconsistent, but on the 77W flight at least, the variation was to the positive.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jcacciotti
Flew the 77W yesterday from EWR-SFO. Great new Polaris seat (7A) and really solid service. The Duck Confit ravioli was actually quite tasty.
Did your ravioli have a sauce on them?

David
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: UAMP Global Services, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by DELee
Yes, mushroom and duck reduction. That was the tasty part.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee

David
Originally Posted by jcacciotti
Yes, mushroom and duck reduction. That was the tasty part.
Ahhh. Now I know why, when I had this dish last month, I didn't think too highly of it. It needs its sauce...That being said, the passenger next to me had the same thing and basically stopped eating because of the ravioli's lack of any flavor without the sauce.

Note to self and others: If there's no sauce on your ravioli, ask for it.

David
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by blueman2
Yes, and the Business seats are only 19" wide, vs 21" wide in the pmCO 757 used for p.s. And 4 across in the middle. Cruel joke to be calling that p.s.
Any idea if these high density 772's are now permanent on these routes? Seems out of character with how they advertise the PS routes -- to use these aircraft which appear to be configured for leisure markets like Hawaii.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So it seems it's impossible to get a J award on these transcon routes as part of TATL awards out of SFO.

If there is TATL J awards out of EWR, BOS or ORD, that means there are only mixed awards available with a long flight in Y.

Seems like something new compared to previous years. Are they simply not going to give away award inventory on these flights?

Just as an example, I searched for LIS throughout the calendar, a few weeks out to the end of the calendar. In all but maybe one or two cases, the awards all route through BOS and involves TAP flights for the TATL portion.

The exceptions are some close-in flights, 4 weeks or less from departure, on LH routing through FRA or MUC (forget which).

Otherwise the calendar is littered with mixed-awards with a long domestic flight in Y.

Seeing similar things to other European destinations, especially for next spring and early summer.

Anyone having better luck with TATL awards in general? I guess if you're originating out of an East Coast hub, it's not an issue since there seems to be TATL segments in J available on *A.

But for anyone west of the Mississippi, seems like the availability of full J TATL awards is lacking right now.

Are they going to open things up after the new chart takes effect in November?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wco81
Seems like something new compared to previous years. Are they simply not going to give away award inventory on these flights?
I wouldn't say so. Finding domestic IN space to position has been next to impossible for quite some time, p.s. or not. The p.s. routes have always been even worse. If flying TATL I always look for an award on an SFO/LAX/SEA (or maybe DEN) flight, both for comfort and simplicity.

They absolutely could offer much more space by marrying the additional I(N) space to the TATL segment, but they don't. It wouldn't be an unreasonable elite benefit if they only did it with IN, either...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
If flying TATL I always look for an award on an SFO/LAX/SEA (or maybe DEN) flight, both for comfort and simplicity.
You mean a direct TATL flight out of those cities?

Those seem to be pretty scarce, especially more than 3-4 months out or less.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You mean a direct TATL flight out of those cities?

Those seem to be pretty scarce, especially more than 3-4 months out or less.
Yes. I'm SFO based, so i.e. flying either SFO-Europe nonstop, or SFO-SEA/LAX/DEN-Europe. I agree they're not quite as plentiful as awards from the East Coast, but not only is e.g. SFO-BOS-FRA an annoying way to break the trip all in J, if SFO-BOS is in Y, then I flatly refuse to pay for or consider it as a business class award. The long-haul awards crop up, and when they don't low $2,xxx P fares fill the gaps.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
The p.s. routes have always been even worse.
Definitely not new. Two years ago I started a thread about this. The entire saver award calendar was blank for ps SFO-NYC for months at a time.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Did any availability open up, like maybe a couple of weeks out?

Are transcon awards just not available?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Did any availability open up, like maybe a couple of weeks out?
No there's been nothing but occasional, random saver J availability on ps for years (except when EWR was loaded into the schedule, and that was a mistake).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Am I reading this correct that if I apply a GPU on a LAS-SFO-BOS flight and the GPU clears on LAS-SFO but not SFO-BOS then it will be redeposited?

In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United Polaris business class or United Polaris first class, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United Polaris business class or United Polaris first class segment(s) could not be upgraded.

I don't see similar wording on the RPU. Anyone have experiences with this? I've had a GPU redeposit without issues clearing the domestic segment but not int'l.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reports for applying a GPU to a p.s. itinerary have always been mixed. It was very muddled when the policy said "United BusinessFirst". Now I think it biases against you, because p.s. is not a "United Polaris business" route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.