Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by radiowell
If anyone ever paid that near $10,000 OW domestic (!) fare with any sort of regularity, he/she will be a GS in no time flat!!
2 round trips (since these are OW prices) ~ $40K.

Ow.

David
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radiowell
So, you are telling me that every fare except the last two are UP fares from economy?
Yes. Nearly all UA domestic business / first class fares are now -UP/UPDI type fares.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes. Nearly all UA domestic business / first class fares are now -UP/UPDI type fares.
Worth noting that the bases matching the pattern -nnUPx are not differential fares. It's beyond me why they are filed with 'H' (and other letters), and as type EU/ER. For all intents and purposes they behave exactly as a Business fare.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Off topic but looking for the exact definition of UP/UPDI type fares? Please feel free to redirect. Quick search was not helpful.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by nomad420
Off topic but looking for the exact definition of UP/UPDI type fares? Please feel free to redirect. Quick search was not helpful.
A Comprehensive Look at Domestic First Class Monetization (FCM) on United

David
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Economy fare basis that books into a premium cabin. E.g., an L fare basis, but books into P.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Are the small pillows in Y no longer provided? Was on SFO-EWR recently and only blankets were lying on the seats upon boarding.

It's been several months since I flew this route, but I seem to remember these were pretty standard in Y.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:48 am

Not really. For more than a year now, UA has again filed authentic (or "real") F fares in most domestic markets, along with the -UPDI fares. You can recognize them by the penultimate letter in their fare basis code which is F instead of E.

These fares are nothing special nor do they bear any special requirements. The differences are minor, the -F- fares have a higher cost for transfers though, but they do not have the plating requirement of the -E-/UPDI fares. You can easily quote them using ITA Matrix by using the right codes, see example below. These fares are in general availability.

Case in point, I recently booked a few of these -F- fares and already flew on one, without any problems. It seems to be properly reflected as a Premium Cabin fare in the GA's system, unlike the -E-/UPDI fare which may show as an ER fare. I had to go through a travel agent since .bomb won't offer them as they are filed in parallel with /UPDI fares which .bomb always prefers and .bomb doesn't allow you to specify a fare. I don't know why .bomb does this, it could just be that it sorts alphabetically and since E comes for F, the -E-/UPDI fare will always win.

ITA matrix quote:

OTA which offers this -F- fare, you can tell it's the -F- fare because the fare rules say the fare exclusively applies for Business/First class, while -UP fares also apply for Economy class.

Last edited by mozilla; Sep 25, 2017 at 9:02 am
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mozilla
I had to go through a travel agent since .bomb won't offer them as they are filed in parallel with /UPDI fares which .bomb always prefers and .bomb doesn't allow you to specify a fare. I don't know why .bomb does this, it could just be that it sorts alphabetically and since E comes for F, the -E-/UPDI fare will always win.
With the current publishing schema, the /UPDI fares cannot be routed nonstop (prohibited in cat3), whereas the -F- fares may. They are usually the same price but /UPDI tends to get more matches.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mozilla
Not really. For more than a year now, UA has again filed authentic (or "real") F fares in most domestic markets, along with the -UPDI fares. You can recognize them by the penultimate letter in their fare basis code which is F instead of E.

These fares are nothing special nor do they bear any special requirements. You can easily quote them using ITA Matrix by using the right codes, see example below. These fares are in general availability.
OK, fair enough -- and that might help when an overzealous agent attempts to talk about "instant upgrades." Of course, if United won't sell them directly, most people will never see them.

The fact that they're tied to an economy inventory bucket and start with an economy fare basis letter is likely to be enough to cause some issues, though.

I suppose the most correct statement is to say that nearly all domestic UA F is sold via differential pricing and dependent upon both economy and first class inventory.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 9:31 am

OK, fair enough -- and that might help when an overzealous agent attempts to talk about "instant upgrades."

The fact that they're tied to an economy inventory bucket and start with an economy fare basis letter is likely to be enough to cause some issues, though.
Yes, that's another issue. I'm still inclined to think that somewhere on their screen it must literally say "ECONOMY." I just don't expect the majority of GA's to do an attempt at deciphering fare basis codes. And if they'd do that, I'd expect them to know what an -UPDI fare is anyway.

That's why I speculate that it is the fare type of some -UPDI fares, which can be displayed as "ECONOMY RESTRICTED" that causes the issue resulting in "you're on an economy fare." The -F- fares have the advantage that the word ECONOMY doesn't appear anywhere in their wording. As you point out, they do have an economy booking class code along with a premium booking class code, but then again, a GA would be required to match code to class, and if they go that far they should know what -UPDI is too.

Didn't have any IRROPS on my first domestic -F- fare flight, but I have a few scheduled in the midst of the winter weather season, will report if anything happens.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by Kacee
It wasn't that long ago (w/in last 5 years) $3400 was the cheapest RT business class fare SFO-JFK.
You may be correct but those were the days when upgrade space was readily available and inexpensive to get.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
You may be correct but those were the days when upgrade space was readily available and inexpensive to get.
Yes, but there has been a tradeoff. Upgrades are virtually impossible, but you can buy discount J for about 35% of what it used to cost.

Did I prefer the old system? Yes, of course. Who wouldn't prefer flying up front for <$300 RT? It was more fun, too . . . if you knew the tricks (particularly SDC into open R at T-24), you could game the system pretty much every time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, but there has been a tradeoff. Upgrades are virtually impossible, but you can buy discount J for about 35% of what it used to cost.

Did I prefer the old system? Yes, of course. Who wouldn't prefer flying up front for <$300 RT? It was more fun, too . . . if you knew the tricks (particularly SDC into open R at T-24), you could game the system pretty much every time.
In addition to being more expensive then the old upgrade system, seems from my experience that the advance purchase P fares are very difficult to find -- only offered on a handful of flights, sometimes on no flights on a particular day.
1K-SFO likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:17 pm

OK, fair enough -- and that might help when an overzealous agent attempts to talk about "instant upgrades." Of course, if United won't sell them directly, most people will never see them.

I suppose the most correct statement is to say that nearly all domestic UA F is sold via differential pricing and dependent upon both economy and first class inventory.
Where problems sometime come up with these fares is during irregular operations and the website or app allows you to rebook yourself. Often this lands you back in coach and you need to call an agent to straighten this out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.