Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Stunning $6,200 difference between UA.com vs Expedia

Old May 29, 2017, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Paid ticket asking on UA website: SEA-SFO-ICN-HKG in UA F,F,and OZ J priced at $9,600 and change. On Expedia: $3,470, same class, day, flights routing, airlines!! I got a 80K F saver award for this route and seriously question the value of doing so. Wish I would have done better research. Stunning difference. The expedia price btw is lower than many J fares from West Coast to HKG!!!
Old May 29, 2017, 2:47 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Expedia is my go to source for good value on J fares, particularly those itinararies that combine *A carriers. I'm typing this from Madrid, where I booked a LH/AC tatl ticket for one-third less than either airline was offering directly. I think the secret is that Expedia's software can match discount J buckets up on different carriers that their own search engines won't/can't reveal.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:13 am

What is the flight date(s)?

I can reproduce similar pricing differences for various dates, but on Expedia it always puts me in domestic F for SEA-SFO and then on to Business for SFO-ICN instead of First, although I explicitly selected First as search filter. When I query UA.com the pricing is indeed much higher but unlike Expedia it actually includes SFO-ICN in F.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Continental
Do you still get pqd if booking on expedia?
Old May 29, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Do you still get pqd if booking on expedia?
I was going to ask the same. Make sure it doesnt end up as a bulk fare
Old May 29, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
I am puzzled about why airlines, hotels, and car rental companies let others sell their product for less than they do. Your post is a good reminder that loyalty to a company as expressed by buying directly from them is sometimes not rewarded but penalized.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by jonsail
I am puzzled about why airlines, hotels, and car rental companies let others sell their product for less than they do. Your post is a good reminder that loyalty to a company as expressed by buying directly from them is sometimes not rewarded but penalized.
I hope OP will respond to the questions on this topic.

I understand that Expedia may offer fares that are a few (tens of) dollars cheaper vs. direct bookings, but I would be surprised to see that they can go as much as >$6k cheaper than UA.com for the same itinerary. Screams "too good to be true" to me, and I was unable to reproduce this for various dates.

I did find similar pricing differences, but those involved different classes (with Business class being offered while Expedia's First Class filter was active - which required extra clicks to uncover the (quite hidden) fact that it wasn't First Class). UA nor OZ have currently filed a SEA-HKG F fare that even remotely matches the price OP is offered, so that makes me extra curious as to what Expedia has constructed (maybe combining two OW's?).
Old May 29, 2017, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mozilla
UA nor OZ have currently filed a SEA-HKG F fare that even remotely matches the price OP is offered, so that makes me extra curious as to what Expedia has constructed (maybe combining two OW's?).
Probably an end-on-end construction on separate tix.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

What is the flight date(s)?

I can reproduce similar pricing differences for various dates, but on Expedia it always puts me in domestic F for SEA-SFO and then on to Business for SFO-ICN instead of First, although I explicitly selected First as search filter. When I query UA.com the pricing is indeed much higher but unlike Expedia it actually includes SFO-ICN in F.

I hope OP will respond to the questions on this topic.

I understand that Expedia may offer fares that are a few (tens of) dollars cheaper vs. direct bookings, but I would be surprised to see that they can go as much as >$6k cheaper than UA.com for the same itinerary. Screams "too good to be true" to me, and I was unable to reproduce this for various dates.

I did find similar pricing differences, but those involved different classes (with Business class being offered while Expedia's First Class filter was active - which required extra clicks to uncover the (quite hidden) fact that it wasn't First Class). UA nor OZ have currently filed a SEA-HKG F fare that even remotely matches the price OP is offered, so that makes me extra curious as to what Expedia has constructed (maybe combining two OW's?).
The construction is this: 7 July 2017: SEA-HKG: UA F, F via SFO $2,917 and then separately 8 July ICN-HKG: OZ J $547. It was searched yesterday.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 29, 2017 at 12:22 pm Reason: removed duplicate posts; merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 29, 2017, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by loopflyer
The construction is this: 7 July 2017: SEA-HKG: UA F, F via SFO $2,917 and then separately 8 July ICN-HKG: OZ J $547. It was searched yesterday.
Are you sure it's FC seating on the TPAC SFO-HKG segment and vv, versus business class on the long haul segments with only FC on the domestic connecting flights?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 29, 2017 at 12:23 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 29, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by loopflyer
What are the flight numbers? The flights I saw on Expedia as F are actually only F for SEA TO SFO and J on a 2 class 777 to HKG.

I can never find the exact fare string on Expedia, but it can't be F as the plane is 2 class. There is a route with F/F on .com for 11K but that isn't the one I see being priced on Expedia.

I had to click through to the seat selection window to see the chart before I realized it wasn't actually F.

Last edited by milepig; May 29, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure it's FC seating on the TPAC SFO-HKG segment and vv, versus business class on the long haul segments with only FC on the domestic connecting flights?
Yes, it was F and F on the UA segments, including the TPAC 747 - F. Again, it was searched yesterday and today it might be different. I searched it yesterday 3 times to see if it was indeed true what I saw.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
What are the flight numbers? The flights I saw on Expedia as F are actually only F for SEA TO SFO and J on a 2 class 777 to HKG.

I can never find the exact fare string on Expedia, but it can't be F as the plane is 2 class. There is a route with F/F on .com for 11K but that isn't the one I see being priced on Expedia.

I had to click through to the seat selection window to see the chart before I realized it wasn't actually F.
UA flts. 368, 893 and OZ 745. 7 July, 8 July respectively.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's a split ticket connection, caused by a really low +$600 differential First fare filed on SEA/SEL. I can't get Expedia to show it to me anymore, but I can reproduce manually, faring as [adding the /UPDI for clarity]

SEA UA X/SFO UA SEL 2805.00PFW0OUMD/UPDI NUC 2805.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 18.00US 5.60AY 80.00YQ 9.00XF SEA4.50 SFO4.50
SEL OZ HKG 511.48UKOKS NUC 511.48 END ROE 1153.503 XT 25.00BP

$3,470.60 o/w a/i, books into A/A/U

PFW0OUMD/UPDI is not combinable so you can't plate this on a single ticket. All risks and moral/legal arguments about using split ticket connections to save $6,000 by circumventing tariff rules apply.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:03 pm

Thanks for doing the hard work in reconstructing this fare, great job . Also impressive of Expedia to come up with this, it seems they developed a pretty advanced algorithm.

Originally Posted by findark
All risks and moral/legal arguments about using split ticket connections to save $6,000 by circumventing tariff rules apply.
Not being protected for the connections, I assume? I'd also guess that Expedia will not warn the potential purchaser of the risk, with the usual "I will never fly United again"-result if said purchaser effectively misses the connection?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.