Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is this a cause for concern? orphan / not longer valid segment in record

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First

Hi,

I am flying XXX-EWR-ZRH-YYY (ZRH-YYY as well as entire return trip in Swiss Airlines) in December. After I purchased the ticket, UA cancelled EWR-ZRH segment.

They then rebooked me directly to EWR-YYY. On Swiss Airlines website, they are still showing me flying on ZRH-YYY which I would not be flying anymore.

Will Swiss Air consider me a no show on that flight and cancel my return trip?

Should I get on call to United and see if they can do anything about it? Note that UA website as well as Saudia website show correct segments.

Thanks.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I would wait a week and then call Swiss Airlines (877-359-7948) and see if it's still wrong. If it is, ask if they can refresh your ticket. Also check the "manage reservations" page on the United website, and make sure the Swiss PNR didn't change when UA did the rebooking. I wouldn't worry since your ticket is correct, but you can call sooner if it's making you anxious.
Old May 26, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, if the LX web site still shows a segment you're not taking it's worth having UA/LX correct the problem.

Just curious, if you look up your reservation on the Swiss web site (https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/login) using your *United issued e-ticket number* rather than the record locator, do you still see the spurious segment?
Old May 26, 2017, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Good luck getting this fixed.

When I changed a UA ticket with LX segments back in March, replacing them with LH flights, the canceled LX segments stayed on the record until well past departure. It didn't affect my outbound, but I was not able to check in online for the return, because LH thought I was taking a different flight. LH phone agent was finally able to clean it up, but she was not very nice about it. Because of course LH never makes mistakes, so it must be the passenger's fault.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Even with eticket number, Swiss Air shows the orphan segment.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Yes, if the LX web site still shows a segment you're not taking it's worth having UA/LX correct the problem.

Just curious, if you look up your reservation on the Swiss web site (https://www.swiss.com/ch/en/login) using your *United issued e-ticket number* rather than the record locator, do you still see the spurious segment?
Old May 27, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Though I would try to call (or email) Swiss to get it fixed, I am very skeptical airlines cancel downstream segments for no-shows on interline tickets where the pax was to arrive on another airline. There are just so many ways to get it wrong.

There are obviously numerous cases where IROPS would create this exact situation. Unless the interline communications really worked, LOL, they would be false canceling flights all over the place.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Did you book this on United.com or on the SWISS website? I'd ask the airline that ticketed this to fix it.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
The LH and LX versions of Amadeus do not play well with each other, and retained old segments frequently occur. Your best bet is to call United, and ask the UA agent to contact Lufthansa to fix the problem.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: Called United and they had to get a technical person involved. They reissued the tickets and it fixed the problem. But, as always with United, it created a new problem. It reduced my PQD by $424 and award miles by 4,664!!!!

On the phone with them right now - they seem to be genuinely confused.
Old May 27, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denuaflier
UPDATE: Called United and they had to get a technical person involved. They reissued the tickets and it fixed the problem. But, as always with United, it created a new problem. It reduced my PQD by $424 and award miles by 4,664!!!!

Presuming you still have the original email receipt I would just wait until you fly then contact them to get a credit adjustment. You will probably waste your time asking them to figure out what's wrong with the PQD 'forecast' now.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Presuming you still have the original email receipt I would just wait until you fly then contact them to get a credit adjustment. You will probably waste your time asking them to figure out what's wrong with the PQD 'forecast' now.
+1
You don't have a problem unless/until miles post incorrectly.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you saying the pre-tax/YQ amount went down on the new ticket or the calculation on the website went down? Website calculations are supposed to be wrong a lot of the time.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

When they reissued the ticket, the rate desk made a mistake and did not count fuel surcharge or some other fees that should count towards PQD. They ended up reissuing ticket to take care of that.

This was not website calculation. It was in the e-ticket receipt.
Thanks for all your help.
Originally Posted by username
Are you saying the pre-tax/YQ amount went down on the new ticket or the calculation on the website went down? Website calculations are supposed to be wrong a lot of the time.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... This was not website calculation. It was in the e-ticket receipt. ....
The calculation on the ereceipt can be just as bad. All that matters is what posts and that tends to be right. Messing around with the pre-flight numbers is something I would not spend time on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.