Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Accounts Closed by UA Alleging Fraud/Misuse

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by username
Isn't that kind of crazy? UA essentially suspended the benefits you earned and locked away your miles for 2 months without any communications during or reason after the investigation?

I am sure the T&C allows them to do it but this is totally customer unfriendly.
What do you expect them to do? Tell you that you are under investigation but leave the account open so you can drain it?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edvasquez
This should be a wake up call for anyone holding miles or points to not hoard them. You risk losing them if the company decides to exercise its power. Remember, they have the power - you don't. Keep just enough miles in your account that you can afford to lose.
While the advice to not hoard miles and use 'em rather than letting them sit and, inevitably, devalue, is unimpeachable, the risk mentioned here is not a remotely significant part of the reason.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Productivity
What do you expect them to do? Tell you that you are under investigation but leave the account open so you can drain it?
I would expect an explanation of why the account was suspended and some kind of compensation for the inconvenience.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by username
I would expect an explanation of why the account was suspended and some kind of compensation for the inconvenience.
Compensation for someone breaching the T&Cs... You're kidding right?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
If the T&Cs had actually been breached, the account would have been (Arnold voice) Terminated. As I understand it, the "investigation" of this particular member's account resulted in a verdict of "Not Guilty". Hence, the member "lost" two months of status benefits, etc. At the very least I would expect an immediate refund of any checked baggage, E+, etc. fees that may have been assessed that would have otherwise been complimentary.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: Lowest level possible
Originally Posted by jsheer
I mistakenly posted one of my granted E-certificates on E-bay
There's a big difference between the "I meant to post something else in eBay but mistakenly posted an e-cert instead" and "I posted an e-cert but later realized that I shouldn't have done so" situations.

The way your message to UA was written, you're trying to insinuate to UA that the first situation happened. That's not helping your case because they would simply not believe you.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kale73
If the T&Cs had actually been breached, the account would have been (Arnold voice) Terminated. As I understand it, the "investigation" of this particular member's account resulted in a verdict of "Not Guilty". Hence, the member "lost" two months of status benefits, etc. At the very least I would expect an immediate refund of any checked baggage, E+, etc. fees that may have been assessed that would have otherwise been complimentary.
Apologies. I hadn't properly caught up on the thread

yes... I agree... if they suspended and then reinstated then suitable compensation should be paid
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
For every 4 flights I book on UA I probably cancel 1 within 24 hours. I'm an impulsive person and love the 24hr cancellation feature. Hope this doesn't put me on any UA fraud radar.
Originally Posted by findark
It's time to departure, not time from booking, that would raise UA's ire for cancellations. You should be fine.
Has anyone here been rebuked from UA for multiple cancelling close in T-24/48? Sometimes (not commonly) I stack bookings over a number of days when my plans are uncertain and I don't want to rely on SDC. Generally I cancel T+24 though.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Has anyone here been rebuked from UA for multiple cancelling close in T-24/48? Sometimes (not commonly) I stack bookings over a number of days when my plans are uncertain and I don't want to rely on SDC. Generally I cancel T+24 though.
I do it quite a bit, rarely T-24 (For clarification - quite a bit would be 6-10 times a year - 4-6 in the spring and 3-4 in the fall, not typically in the winter or summer)

Never had a word said to me, that being said. I am going to cut back on it, do my best to guess the flight I will most likely take, book it on United, book the other on AA.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Threads like this one reminds me to head to eBay and check out all of the posts there. Did anyone look lately? Tons of "advis(c)e" on GPUs! Seriously, people risk all of the benefits of status for a few thousand dollars?????
In the case of the OP, it was about a hundred dollars. A single cert valued at $125 was offered on eBay.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Never had a word said to me, that being said. I am going to cut back on it
Likewise on both counts. As it's 'duplicate' bookings I guess it's grounds for having your account terminated. Not worth it.

However I'd still be interested to hear if UA has reprimanded anyone regarding this. - the GS guy with multiple bookings for his wife and subsequent account termination I guess counts.

Last edited by ermintrude; Jun 4, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reason: replaced speculative with duplicate
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Likewise on both counts. As it's 'duplicate' bookings I guess it's grounds for having your account terminated. Not worth it.

However I'd still be interested to hear if UA has reprimanded anyone regarding this. - the GS guy with multiple bookings for his wife and subsequent account termination I guess counts.
My understanding with that situation was that she pretty much *never* actually flew, and he did this almost *every* time he did fly. I think in any of these situations, extreme edge cases are going to be the ones that garner attention - and that one certainly seemed like an extreme.

The insinuation made by UA was that he constantly booked tickets for her with no intention to fly. It wasn't now and then, or even "quite a bit" - it was all the time. That's different from someone who is even very indecisive or has a very erratic schedule.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies. I hadn't properly caught up on the thread
and in UA's case with schley, the reply was "Thank you for your cooperation and patience during our audit of your Mileage Plus account....We are pleased to inform you that the standard audit has been completed and, as a result, we have placed your account in an active status." and not "Apologies" like you used
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
I can't speak for UA. But as an attorney who does "John Doe" cases (among other things) I will mention that there are a lot of other indicia (for example, the IP address from which the Ebay posting was done, the age of the Ebay account, the email address used in the Ebay posting, the Macid and IP address from which any emails are sent responding to the Ebay posting, etc.
You've drifted into tech gobblygook here without a firm foundation in technology. MAC addresses are not available beyond the local network; Ebay has no idea what your MAC address is.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
You've drifted into tech gobblygook here without a firm foundation in technology. MAC addresses are not available beyond the local network; Ebay has no idea what your MAC address is.
Yep, MAC would only be available on the same Ethernet segment - not gonna happen over eBay. Someone needs to bone up on their OSI model. MAC IDs are also trivially changed, and in modern OS's can be set to randomize so it's worthless anyway.

EBay is also not going to release an IP address without legal cause. Email is not shown to the user; transactions are relayed through eBay.

EBay's logs would have the IP address and the user-agent string from the browser and that's about it. UA would see neither without access to eBay's server logs - nevermind actual user account data - most likely only via subpoena.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.