Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best strategy for group of 5 to sit together on 777 SFO->HNL?

Old May 26, 2017, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK G,UA *S

Hello,

will be flying soon the dreaded 777 Hawaii version SFO HNL.
We are 5 on the same booking and would like to be seated together ( we have also 2 children in group). There are only scattered seats all around the seatmap.

Would it be a good idea to wait until check in in SFO and maybe get the seat assignment there? One of the member is SA Gold. Would that maybe help if there are no regular economy seats available together to get in economy plus? Does it happen with families?

Thanks
Old May 26, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Would it be a good idea to wait until check in in SFO and maybe get the seat assignment there? One of the member is SA Gold. Would that maybe help if there are no regular economy seats available together to get in economy plus? Does it happen with families?
I think your best bet is to watch the seatmap starting about 24 hours before departure. Silvers will start moving to E+ and this will open up seats in E-. Barring that, a quiet word with the gate agent should at least stop your children from sitting alone.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
I think your best bet is to watch the seatmap starting about 24 hours before departure. Silvers will start moving to E+ and this will open up seats in E-. Barring that, a quiet word with the gate agent should at least stop your children from sitting alone.
Or pay for E+ seating, if there is availability of clustered seats. Star Alliance Gold won't do anything to get you into E+. Only Platinum and higher status on UA will get you more than 1 companion in E+.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
While I could see a gate agent being willing to shift people around to make sure your children aren't seated alone, I would not bet on them working hard to get all 5 of you seated together. If at this point you can get some pairs together anywhere, then I would go ahead and take those. Or if you absolutely must all 5 sit together, if there is currently availability in E+, pay for it now.

I don't think it would be a good idea to wait until check in to assign any seats.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
I may be mistaken, but depending on how far out you are looking, the seat map may show seats as occupied that they are holding back from reserving. In part, this is to allow a family like yours to find seats together on check-in.

However, I wouldn't count on that, and would call in to see if an agent can do anything in advance.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Well it is now 48 before the flight and we were assigned seats not even close or together automatically.
Why does it happen? I did not request it...
Old May 26, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do any of your children require a bassinet? I have no experience with this, but you may be able to get a phone agent to assign you to one of the bassinet seats, which are otherwise blocked from pre-check-in assignment.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, for domestic flights they do not offer basinets. This is what I was told...
Old May 26, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it is now 48 before the flight and we were assigned seats not even close or together automatically.
Why does it happen? I did not request it...
There's not really any disadvantage to having assigned seats; you can change at will.

Unfortunately, for domestic flights they do not offer basinets. This is what I was told...
Sounds fishy, but this is a domain I'm unfamiliar with.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Call (not use the website) UA NOW, and if need be every several hours.

Seats will always be freeing up. And available seats may not show on the map.

If all fails, get to the gate as early as you can and explain to the GA. They likely will be doing a good bit of last minute seat changes, and it is easier to accomodate you as they do this than wait till pax are boarded.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Depends what you mean by "best":

- Most likely to be seated together strategy is to buy E+ if it has seats available together.

- Cheapest strategy is to hassle the GA with your last minute problem.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
As a frequent traveler on this route, I can say this with confidence that OP is doomed.

Originally Posted by mduell
- Most likely to be seated together strategy is to buy E+ if it has seats available together.
+1 This is the ONLY way you can get all 5 people sitting together.

Originally Posted by mduell
- Cheapest strategy is to hassle the GA with your last minute problem.
Not going to happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.