Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United sued for hard landing?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Every LH flight is a hard landing. Seems like they like to stick it on the runway using autoland.
I just experienced one today!

Yesterday on the Chicago blue line to ORD i saw an ad looking for injured Uber drivers and passengers.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'd say that the amount they're suing for shows the case has no merit. It's designed for one purpose only - to get United to settle. Someone with a true permanent disability would surely sue for more.

I hope United goes to court and the judge forces the plaintiffs to pay all attorney and court fees.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer
Every LH flight is a hard landing. Seems like they like to stick it on the runway using autoland.

And this happened 2 years ago!
So is every UA flight on a 739!

(It's not just LH, the entire LH group like to land hard. LX's RJ100 pilots are an exception.)
Old May 26, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by DoTheBartMan
If it turns out that they hadn't fastened their seatbelt, thereby ignoring to follow airline (and FAA?) instructions, their lawsuit looks pretty weak.
Absolutely frivolous, not just weak. Crews only mention the "fasten seatbelt at all times while seated" at least 4 times per flight. Don't pay attention, get burned.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The women are seeking $84,894.41 in damages.
UA, do not forget the 41 cents. Don't round it down to $84,894.00.

I hope UA fights this and they get ZERO! This took place in Feb 2016.

This is a case I wished I was called for Jury Duty.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kettle1
This is a case I wished I was called for Jury Duty.
Prosecuting attorney: Do you have status on United?
Potential juror: Yes
Prosecuting attorney: Challenge for cause.
Judge: Juror is excused.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Prosecuting attorney: Do you have status on United?
Potential juror: Yes
Prosecuting attorney: Challenge for cause.
Judge: Juror is excused.
In what jurisdiction do you practice (or know of) where that would support a challenge for cause?
Old May 27, 2017, 1:25 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
In what jurisdiction do you practice (or know of) where that would support a challenge for cause?
In most jurisdictions, having loyalty or an emotional connection to one party would support a challenge for cause.

A person stating that they "wish" they were called for jury duty on this case demonstrates that the challenge would be justified.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by cbn42
In most jurisdictions, having loyalty or an emotional connection to one party would support a challenge for cause.

A person stating that they "wish" they were called for jury duty on this case demonstrates that the challenge would be justified.
I understand about cause to dismiss, and I agree about dismissing a person who says they wish they were on the jury, which indicates bias. I just question whether everyone who patronizes a huge corporation, even if frequently enough to earn status, would get thrown off the jury in all cases in which the business is a party.

Last edited by Giggleswick; May 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Old May 27, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
I am not arguing if the allegations are true or not. What I am trying to say was if the allegations are proved as true, then UA must compensate.

Under what legal theory?
Old May 27, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
I just question whether everyone who patronizes a huge corporation, even if frequently enough to earn status, would get thrown off the jury in all cases in which the business is a party.
I would say it's a very high probability. And if not for cause, certainly as a preremptory challenge.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by drowelf
I used to fly into GSP a lot in the 90's on US Airways. It seemed to me that all the pilots on that route were ex-Navy. We did not float down and gently touch on the runway, we landed with a good thump almost every time.
Similar with PIA in the 80's ... all ex-F16 pilots landing 747's ... bouncing at landing was not unexpected, and they had a number of incidents of blown tires upon landing.

GenevaFlyer
Old May 27, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why have they waited 2 years before suing? This has frivolous written all over it. And if it was that hard why hasn't anyone else that was on that flight come forward to sue with "injuries". Can't wait to see the first picture of them lifting something heavy or doing some kind of physical activity. I think they are just trying to jump on the UA is settling bandwagon and cash in. If their injuries were so bad and permanent why are they suing for so little?
Old May 27, 2017, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Similar with PIA in the 80's ... all ex-F16 pilots landing 747's ... bouncing at landing was not unexpected, and they had a number of incidents of blown tires upon landing.

GenevaFlyer
PIA = Peoria "International" Airport, Illinois. Did it really have lots of 747s on passenger flights?
Old May 27, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
PIA = Peoria "International" Airport, Illinois. Did it really have lots of 747s on passenger flights?
Also known as "Please Inform Allah" or "Panic In the Air", PK / Pakistan International Airlines ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.