Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Trying to fly to SFO (from LAX), and failing miserably

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt

This morning I was supposed to fly on UA1863 (LAX-SFO) so that I could connect to UA869 (SFO-HKG). While I was in the UC, we were dinged with a delay, to which the agent at the UC chalked it up to "runway construction." Even with that, the delay didn't seem to bad--it was only 40 minutes, to which I built in a 2:40 layover in SFO.

After we push, it becomes clear that the "slight" delay is something much more as we taxi over to the TBIT remote gates (near taxiway AA). At this moment, we are told that we have another 15 minutes to wait out, so no big deal. After 15 minutes, we head for the runway...in fact, we even line up on 28L, only to pull off at the first intersection, where we taxi into the ramp at Terminal 1. Then after 5 minutes or so, we taxi--only to Terminal 2, where we wait again. After waiting 5 or so more minutes, we start moving, only to park ourselves by Terminal 3, where we chill for another 5 minutes. Then the pilot comes on at says that we have to head back to the gate due to an electrical system issue and, because several gates at LAX are out of commission, we have to wait for one to be free. With 20 minutes of waiting, we finally pull into 70A (we had departed from 70B).

At this point, I call into the 1K line, which is not helpful as the agent said "I can't do anything until the delay is posted," to which I replied, " if you call LAX and ask them where 1863 is, they will tell you that we are back at Terminal 7".

The pilot gets on the PA to mention that maintenance is here and that "it should be a quick fix," but by this time, the delay had been posted, so I call the 1K line back. Their solution is to fly LAX-HNL-GUM-HKG-CEB (final is CEB), as the agent did not have authorization to book LAX-HKG-CEB on CX (the HKG-CEB segment was operated by CX, purchased on the same itinerary as the LAX-SFO-HKG). And even though I was in paid business (C fare class), that was the best option as their other option was to fly LAX-NRT, overnight in NRT, then fly NRT-HKG, then overnight again, and finally fly HKG-CEB. Seeing that this was a futile effort, I politely ended the call.

However, to my dismay, the pilot comes back on and mentions that the problem is more involved than a simple fix, so maintenance has to go get an inverter. I deplaned immediately and headed for the CSC (even though we were told that a supervisor was going to come on board and address connecting flights, no supervisor appeared). The agent at the CSC was completely unhelpful as she was telling passengers "I'm not supposed to be here." It just so happened that a majority of passengers on UA1863 were making international connections to various places (28 to HKG, 24 to CDG and [IIRC] 20 to XIY). The CSC agent told me that the only thing that she could do was fly LAX-PVG-HKG, but in Y only (even though I paid for C). While waiting, I noticed that UA708 was still at the gate as it was delayed due to a late aircraft arrival, so I ditched the CSC and ran (literally ran) over to 86 to attempt to get on. The agent there was going to close out the flight, but I managed to get her to just put me on as I'm one less international passenger that the staff here has to deal with.

UA708 was delayed as well due to ATC in SFO--as well as every flight from 7:30am onwards. At least we arrived in SFO at 12:39, instead of the projected 1:00pm arrival, which would have made my connection to UA869 impossible.

At the gate for UA869, I was informed that the bags that I had checked in LAX were not offloaded as was promised by the agent at 86. So, I'm assuming the worst case scenario that the bags will arrive 2 days late into CEB as I was adamantly told that UA would not push the bags to CX so they could fly on the midday LAX-HKG.

It was also interesting to see that every LAX-SFO after the first one of the day was delayed by a minimum of 1 hour--my original flight, UA1863 departed 4:06 late.

Did I just pull the short straw, or should I have expected better from UA?
Old May 25, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: None anymore
Wow, glad you made your HKG flight!

As far as LAX-SFO and vice versa, I've had similar happen but in the other direction due to weather. I was delayed almost two hours while in the plane in SFO and barely made my international connection in LAX. And they used rolling 15 minute delays.

Anyway not sure my comment helps you, but runway maintenance is a big issue right now and when there are delays, they affect short range flights first. I fly FAT-SFO all the time and am delayed there often due to drama in SFO.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fgirard
First, glad to hear you were able to make your connection.

But yes you definitely should have expected better. I would actually consider writing the executive offices about your difficulties getting rebooked in J on CX. That's not the way it's supposed to be, especially post-Dao, and especially on a full C ticket, which UA should be willing simply to endorse over.

(btw, just curious, if you had a full C ticket, couldn't you have canceled for refund and rebooked yourself on CX?)
Old May 25, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
First, glad to hear you were able to make your connection.

But yes you definitely should have expected better. I would actually consider writing the executive offices about your difficulties getting rebooked in J on CX. That's not the way it's supposed to be, especially post-Dao, and especially on a full C ticket, which UA should be willing simply to endorse over.

(btw, just curious, if you had a full C ticket, couldn't you have canceled for refund and rebooked yourself on CX?)
It was only a flexible C ticket, not a refundable C ticket.

They didn't even check on OZ or BR as well.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:48 pm

This morning I was supposed to fly on UA1863 (LAX-SFO) so that I could connect to UA869 (SFO-HKG). While I was in the UC, we were dinged with a delay, to which the agent at the UC chalked it up to "runway construction." Even with that, the delay didn't seem to bad--it was only 40 minutes, to which I built in a 2:40 layover in SFO.

After we push, it becomes clear that the "slight" delay is something much more as we taxi over to the TBIT remote gates (near taxiway AA). At this moment, we are told that we have another 15 minutes to wait out, so no big deal. After 15 minutes, we head for the runway...in fact, we even line up on 28L, only to pull off at the first intersection, where we taxi into the ramp at Terminal 1. Then after 5 minutes or so, we taxi--only to Terminal 2, where we wait again. After waiting 5 or so more minutes, we start moving, only to park ourselves by Terminal 3, where we chill for another 5 minutes. Then the pilot comes on at says that we have to head back to the gate due to an electrical system issue and, because several gates at LAX are out of commission, we have to wait for one to be free. With 20 minutes of waiting, we finally pull into 70A (we had departed from 70B).

At this point, I call into the 1K line, which is not helpful as the agent said "I can't do anything until the delay is posted," to which I replied, " if you call LAX and ask them where 1863 is, they will tell you that we are back at Terminal 7".

The pilot gets on the PA to mention that maintenance is here and that "it should be a quick fix," but by this time, the delay had been posted, so I call the 1K line back. Their solution is to fly LAX-HNL-GUM-HKG-CEB (final is CEB), as the agent did not have authorization to book LAX-HKG-CEB on CX (the HKG-CEB segment was operated by CX, purchased on the same itinerary as the LAX-SFO-HKG). And even though I was in paid business (C fare class), that was the best option as their other option was to fly LAX-NRT, overnight in NRT, then fly NRT-HKG, then overnight again, and finally fly HKG-CEB. Seeing that this was a futile effort, I politely ended the call.

However, to my dismay, the pilot comes back on and mentions that the problem is more involved than a simple fix, so maintenance has to go get an inverter. I deplaned immediately and headed for the CSC (even though we were told that a supervisor was going to come on board and address connecting flights, no supervisor appeared). The agent at the CSC was completely unhelpful as she was telling passengers "I'm not supposed to be here." It just so happened that a majority of passengers on UA1863 were making international connections to various places (28 to HKG, 24 to CDG and [IIRC] 20 to XIY). The CSC agent told me that the only thing that she could do was fly LAX-PVG-HKG, but in Y only (even though I paid for C). While waiting, I noticed that UA708 was still at the gate as it was delayed due to a late aircraft arrival, so I ditched the CSC and ran (literally ran) over to 86 to attempt to get on. The agent there was going to close out the flight, but I managed to get her to just put me on as I'm one less international passenger that the staff here has to deal with.

UA708 was delayed as well due to ATC in SFO--as well as every flight from 7:30am onwards. At least we arrived in SFO at 12:39, instead of the projected 1:00pm arrival, which would have made my connection to UA869 impossible.

At the gate for UA869, I was informed that the bags that I had checked in LAX were not offloaded as was promised by the agent at 86. So, I'm assuming the worst case scenario that the bags will arrive 2 days late into CEB as I was adamantly told that UA would not push the bags to CX so they could fly on the midday LAX-HKG.

It was also interesting to see that every LAX-SFO after the first one of the day was delayed by a minimum of 1 hour--my original flight, UA1863 departed 4:06 late.

Yes you should have. How late was the delay posted? Was it posted to ensure you would miss the SFO-HKG connection? If so, the agent was definitely wrong, they could have just put you to ANY interlining carriers including CX. If the posted delay still gave you wiggle room to make the SFO-HKG flight, then technically the agent was right. Looks like UA1863 turned out to be six hours late, and since you dashed out to UA708, it felt like UA1863 was rolling delay, and they might post the delay with enough connection time for UA869 at the time OP called 1K line.

The key here is how the posted delay firstly shows.

Missed baggage was basically the sure thing when one was rebooked to other flights. There's no way UA would reroute the bags in the baggage handling level immediately.

If my assumption was wrong, please enlighten me.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
Yes you should have. How late was the delay posted? Was it posted to ensure you would miss the SFO-HKG connection? If so, the agent was definitely wrong, they could have just put you to ANY interlining carriers including CX. If the posted delay still gave you wiggle room to make the SFO-HKG flight, then technically the agent was right. Looks like UA1863 turned out to be six hours late, and since you dashed out to UA708, it felt like UA1863 was rolling delay, and they might post the delay with enough connection time for UA869 at the time OP called 1K line.

The key here is how the posted delay firstly shows.

Missed baggage was basically the sure thing when one was rebooked to other flights. There's no way UA would reroute the bags in the baggage handling level immediately.

If my assumption was wrong, please enlighten me.
The first delay was a 12:30 arrival into which I stayed on board. The second delay was a 1pm arrival, which I bolted to the CSC, and then to UA708.

I figured that the second delay was well within the MCT for SFO, which would have instantly cancelled my onward flights.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
First, glad you made it to 869. My biggest complaint over the years with UA and other airlines has been the lack of honest information when there are delays. It is maddening. It is also why I built a 4 1/2 hour connection on our trip from LAS to HKG last March. With weather and other typical SFO delays I figured I would play it very safe. It worked and we spent the hours enjoying the United Club. In fact they sent us over the GS Lounge becuase the club was over crowded and under construction... Hope your bags show up sometime soon.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gene2632
First, glad you made it to 869. My biggest complaint over the years with UA and other airlines has been the lack of honest information when there are delays. It is maddening. It is also why I built a 4 1/2 hour connection on our trip from LAS to HKG last March. With weather and other typical SFO delays I figured I would play it very safe. It worked and we spent the hours enjoying the United Club. In fact they sent us over the GS Lounge becuase the club was over crowded and under construction... Hope your bags show up sometime soon.
I was amazed I made it myself--we arrived at 12:39, I was off at 12:50 and at the gate by 1:05pm, and we had arrived at 69 and out of 100.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA LAX and UA SFO ops are a disaster these days, and you're trying to go between them... bad idea.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
UA LAX and UA SFO ops are a disaster these days, and you're trying to go between them... bad idea.
Unfortunately, my options are limited when it comes to trying to fly UA and destinations in SE Asia.

But, aside from this trip, I would normally try to fly from ONT, but since ONT-IAH went the way of the dodo, I'm stuck with SNA or PSP.

It's really making me question my loyalty, especially after today's mess.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:45 pm

The first delay was a 12:30 arrival into which I stayed on board. The second delay was a 1pm arrival, which I bolted to the CSC, and then to UA708.

I figured that the second delay was well within the MCT for SFO, which would have instantly cancelled my onward flights.
It looks like the posted delay showed 12:30p.m. PDT when you called. In that case, it made sense the agent couldn't book to other carriers, and since there were still flights going to HKG, what 1K agent suggested was more like SDC.

CSC read the scripts directly from station managers. When CSC specifically said 'I am not supposed to be here,' two possible scenarios:

1. This agent was lazy,
2. This agent didn't get the memo from station manager what to do yet.

In that case, write to 1KVoice/Customer Care, this is ridiculous. If I were you, I would go to United Club next time, as they usually provide better service.

UA is doing whatever they can to keep the money and do the minimum to pay the other interlining carriers in the event of IRROPs. This is absolutely ridiculous, and should be reported.

When I was flying to HKG last time IAH-EWR-HKG with GPU, the United Club agent did not put me on IAH-LHR(UA)-HKG(CX) because there was no R yet. Once the IAH-EWR mechanical was surely making me to misconnect, I called 1K desk again, had the agent put me directly in IAH-LHR last J seat (J1), but the agent had to go back to the supervisor to convert to R(Seems like it's common practice now). So if you insist that against 1K desk once the posted delay definitely caused misconnect, then 1K desk should be able to rebook you. I am pretty sure the outcome would have been different when you call 1K desk immediately after the second updated delay posted.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
They didn't even check on OZ or BR as well.
In a thing like this it's best for you to hand over the options. Had I been on that flight I probably would have been on Google Flights to find any of the options for *A and then CX or PR.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
It looks like the posted delay showed 12:30p.m. PDT when you called. In that case, it made sense the agent couldn't book to other carriers, and since there were still flights going to HKG, what 1K agent suggested was more like SDC.

CSC read the scripts directly from station managers. When CSC specifically said 'I am not supposed to be here,' two possible scenarios:

1. This agent was lazy,
2. This agent didn't get the memo from station manager what to do yet.

In that case, write to 1KVoice/Customer Care, this is ridiculous. If I were you, I would go to United Club next time, as they usually provide better service.

UA is doing whatever they can to keep the money and do the minimum to pay the other interlining carriers in the event of IRROPs. This is absolutely ridiculous, and should be reported.

When I was flying to HKG last time IAH-EWR-HKG with GPU, the United Club agent did not put me on IAH-LHR(UA)-HKG(CX) because there was no R yet. Once the IAH-EWR mechanical was surely making me to misconnect, I called 1K desk again, had the agent put me directly in IAH-LHR last J seat (J1), but the agent had to go back to the supervisor to convert to R(Seems like it's common practice now). So if you insist that against 1K desk once the posted delay definitely caused misconnect, then 1K desk should be able to rebook you. I am pretty sure the outcome would have been different when you call 1K desk immediately after the second updated delay posted.
Yeah, it was really frustrating because we all knew how this delay would run.

863/25MAY
P LAX/OUT 903A E00.06 EST OFF 1015A
P LAX/RR 1024A
P LAX/OUT 122P L04.13 EST OFF 230PMAINTENANCE
P LAX/RR 229P
P LAX/OUT 347P L06.38 EST OFF 407PMAINTENANCE
P LAX/OFF 415P
P SFO/ON 505P
P SFO/IN 510P L06.16 ☨
P SFO/OFF 125P
F SFO/ETA 510P L06.16☨
F SFO/ETA 510P L06.16
P BOS/ON 919P
P BOS/IN 928P L01.16 ☨
D CRC/BOS/ POSS DLYS/CNCL DUE TO LOW CLOUDS-ATC OPERATIONS
D HDQ/LAX SFO PROT UNDER GG CN2 T04

SKED LAX ORIG 909A GTD 75A SHIP 3240
SFO 1054A 1145A GTA 81 GTD 86 SHIP 2372
BOS 812P TERM GTA B23
It looks like they tried again at 1:22pm to get out, but it didn't work out.

I think 1 issue was that the 12:50am flight, was only showing F available, but the afternoon flight was showing C available.

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
In a thing like this it's best for you to hand over the options. Had I been on that flight I probably would have been on Google Flights to find any of the options for *A and then CX or PR.
The PR flight that I would have needed left near midnight, and was showing J0 at the time. I was even querying SQ, which could have done LAX-HKG-SIN (SQ) SIN-CEB (MI)
Old May 25, 2017, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by gene2632
It worked and we spent the hours enjoying the United Club.
The UC would have really come in handy @ LAX for the OP, and also SFO when he finally arrived.

CSC people are selected to sit at those counters for their expert phlegmatical skills, that will educate even the most highly seasoned 1K, as to who's runnin' the show!
Old May 25, 2017, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
The UC would have really come in handy @ LAX for the OP, and also SFO when he finally arrived.

CSC people are selected to sit at those counters for their expert phlegmatical skills, that will educate even the most highly seasoned 1K, as to who's runnin' the show!
Unfortunately, things were moving so fast that going to the UC was not an option (at LAX, it was in the opposite direction of 86).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.