Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Billiken
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to day of departure downgrades.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.
UPDATED 15-FEB-2015 by Billiken
Print Wikipost

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United(Questions,Compensation, etc.)[ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Not at all. For every employee who legitimately/contractually sits in first class, another 5 sit there because of their GA buddies. It happens and that's a fact.
And you have evidence of that, right?

None of this age-old bickering is helping the OP, though.

I am in agreement with bmw303: for a flight the length of LAX-DEN, I would accept $500 vouchers every day for a missed F upgrade and an E+ seat (especially with an empty seat next to it).
Old May 25, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mduell

That's the bare minimum UA should be offering, per their own policy (GG DOWNGRADE).
I understand that that is the minimum per UA policy. I contend that UA's policy IMHO is generous, especially as applied here.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:14 am

Thanks for all the replies.

$500 and miles credited back does seem fairly generous in hindsight, it just didn't feel so at the time just coming off of a red-eye in E+ and looking forward at least a little sleep in First.

The employee across the row from me did seem to be a pilot, wearing street clothes but wearing a United lanyard, and his aviator sunglasses the entire flight.....

If pilots are contracted for First, whatever, its a benefit I didn't realize they had but it that's the case, fine. Their seats (I'm hoping) didn't account for my wife's bump directly.

The bigger question (and maybe this is just my own ignorance) is how/why did they sell a revenue seat in First after upgrades had cleared? I understand that they hold off on clearing upgrades to give people the opportunity to pay to upgrade at check-in but is this common to continue to sell after upgrades have cleared and First is checked in Full? The guy in my wife's seat was not an employee. He was a rather large gentleman that I could see having challenges sitting in Economy but that shouldn't cost my wife her seat!

Last edited by adamzook; May 25, 2017 at 11:19 am
Old May 25, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
That's the bare minimum UA should be offering, per their own policy (GG DOWNGRADE).
The compensation was over-generous under UA's rules, as only LAX-DEN was downgraded. Comp for that downgrade is only supposed to be $200.

Downgrades happen and they suck. But this was a relatively minor one (to E+ with an empty middle) and there was no fight over the DG comp.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The size of the passenger occupying your wife's seat had no linkage to the bump - it could have just been reshuffling seats later on. Assume the pilots had to fly, and so someone was bumped from F. UA does not normally oversell F.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:33 am

For every employee who legitimately/contractually sits in first class, another 5 sit there because of their GA buddies. It happens and that's a fact.
This is unequivocally untrue. Being in far better position than anyone here to comment on this, I am telling you that there is absolutely no data to back your claim up.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all. For every employee who legitimately/contractually sits in first class, another 5 sit there because of their GA buddies. It happens and that's a fact.
Any links or sources to back up your claim? And FlyerTalk is not a legitimate link or source to back up your claim.

OP,

Could have been a displaced full fare F passenger connecting from an international itinerary that was entitled to an F seat. But without more info from the UA side I'm afraid we will never know why it really happened.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by adamzook
The bigger question (and maybe this is just my own ignorance) is how/why did they sell a revenue seat in First after upgrades had cleared? I understand that they hold off on clearing upgrades to give people the opportunity to pay to upgrade at check-in but is this common to continue to sell after upgrades have cleared and First is checked in Full?
I doubt that's exactly what happened. Any number of things could have forced the oversale in F - a broken seat or a FAM somewhere in the cabin, or they could have chosen to overbook due to earlier IRROPS. It also could have been a good old-fashioned IT glitch.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The compensation was over-generous under UA's rules, as only LAX-DEN was downgraded. Comp for that downgrade is only supposed to be $200.

Downgrades happen and they suck. But this was a relatively minor one (to E+ with an empty middle) and there was no fight over the DG comp.
Agreed. Downgrades are pretty awful, but I think the compensation and apology was fair.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:27 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.

as as a statement that there is a 5:1 "shenanigan" to legit ratio, and a statement not of personal belief, but of stated fact, I'd like to see your incontrovertible evidence. One's future statements are judged based on one's past credibility.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
One data point (although not bump-related).

Flew CLT-EWR on a 175. Had CPU to F at T-24 on the 7:05am flight. Got to the airport in time for the 5:40am flight, which had one unsold F seat available. I SDC'd and was 2nd on the UG list behind a passenger who was on both the UG SB list as well as the regular SB list (which I understand is a signal that it's a non-Rev). That passenger got upgraded to that seat and I took my seat in Y. Someone didn't show, so I got a battlefield upgrade to the open seat next to the upgraded passenger. He was already sleeping (this was 5:30am), so we didn't talk. When the plane pulled up to the gate in EWR, he stood up and put on his UA employee badge.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by aacharya
The size of the passenger occupying your wife's seat had no linkage to the bump - it could have just been reshuffling seats later on. Assume the pilots had to fly, and so someone was bumped from F. UA does not normally oversell F.
Mmm I would need to see the size of passenger. I've seen United put passengers of size with very limited mobility in F ahead of upgrades, I wouldn't be so surprised if they did that, especially with all the bad press they have been getting.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Mmm I would need to see the size of passenger. I've seen United put passengers of size with very limited mobility in F ahead of upgrades, I wouldn't be so surprised if they did that, especially with all the bad press they have been getting.
So, a person is too big to fit in a single coach seat so UA moves them to F? What happened to POS have to buy an extra seat. The wife had an empty seat next to her in E+ so there would have been 2 seats together the POS could have sat in. Very bad precedent if UA moves them to F for free because they don't fit in coach and bump the person in the F seat down to coach. To be clear, I don't believe this is what happened.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
You didn't give your wife the FC seat?

Old May 25, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Bonehead
You didn't give your wife the FC seat?

Why?

It is highly likely that he is substantially larger than his wife. The real advantage of the F/C seat on this length flight is space to avoid having to pull ones limbs in for hours and arrive in pain.

Not a zero sum game on this one. Not even close. [Unless the OP is similar size to wife]
Old May 25, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Why?

It is highly likely that he is substantially larger than his wife. The real advantage of the F/C seat on this length flight is space to avoid having to pull ones limbs in for hours and arrive in pain.

Not a zero sum game on this one. Not even close. [Unless the OP is similar size to wife]
LAX-DEN? That's the leg in question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.