Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Continue beyond 1K or switch to another airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United

Hello there everyone,

A new FlyerTalk member here......been a happy reader for a while, but only now, decided to become a member.

Have a question that I'm unable to answer myself, hence reaching out the collective brains here.

I fly SFO-NYC every other week. Based on my flights so far, I should be 1K on United next month. (already at $10k and 100k PQM)

For the remainder of the year, I probably will make 10-12 round trips, spending around $10-12k on the tickets (excluding taxes etc)

I'd only want to stick with United if there is a realistic chance of getting to GS.

My question is:

Should I continue to give business to United or switch to another airline and try to get to the highest level there?
If you suggest moving to another airline, which among these (Delta, Jetblue, Virgin) would you recommend? My goal is to use non-stops between SFO-NYC and get into the highest tier possible, with 10-12 trips (and a spend of around $10-12k).

Thanks in advance.

Happy flying!
Old May 24, 2017, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, VinSFO

Originally Posted by VinSFO

I fly SFO-NYC every other week. Based on my flights so far, I should be 1K on United next month. (already at $10k and 100k PQM)

For the remainder of the year, I probably will make 10-12 round trips, spending around $10-12k on the tickets (excluding taxes etc)

I'd only want to stick with United if there is a realistic chance of getting to GS.....
Only if you see getting to the high side of $40K UA PQDs
and your numbers don't appear to be close to that territory

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html

Note you will need at least $12K PQDs to get 1K
and top earned tier on AA will be another $12K (ExecPlat) or $15K on DL (Diamond).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 24, 2017 at 3:49 pm Reason: AA/DL PQDs
Old May 24, 2017, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you suggest moving to another airline, which among these (Delta, Jetblue, Virgin) would you recommend? My goal is to use non-stops between SFO-NYC and get into the highest tier possible, with 10-12 trips (and a spend of around $10-12k).
FWIW, I think most would say that Jet Blue (B6) has the best economy product between SFO and NYC.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I'd only want to stick with United if there is a realistic chance of getting to GS.

My question is:

Should I continue to give business to United or switch to another airline and try to get to the highest level there?
One way you might want to look at it: what was the reason to acquire status, if not to use it once you have it?

Only you can decide if you and your future travel is better with UA's 1K status or a mix of UA 1K and mid tier status on some other airline (also considering that you will fly without status on those other carriers for a while).
Old May 24, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
One way you might want to look at it: what was the reason to acquire status, if not to use it once you have it?
I agree. Presumably there was a reason for going with UA in the first place, so I would stick with it. I would just feel more free to follow price/schedule if need be after hitting 1K.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
This! Why not enjoy the benefits you earned this year and next. Why go back to peon-status on a new airline for the rest of this year, when I assume you'll switch back to UA on 1/1 to enjoy your 1K benefits? Sure, you could get status on AA, for example, but then you won't use that status much or at all next year?
Old May 24, 2017, 4:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The question is: will you be able to take advantage of 2 programs to the fullest?

As 1K, you get free food and drink in the back of the bus, plus you'll continue to earn 2 additional RPU every 25,000 PQM and 2 additional GPU every 50,000 PQM, which you can use on one of the flights.

There's no free upgrades on JetBlue - Mosaic gives you a few benefits like free bags, no change fees, and free drinks onboard. Takes 15,000 points to qualify ($5,000 spend)

For Virgin, you'll need to decide to earn on Elevate (which goes away end of this year) or on Alaska Mileage Plan, which only takes 75K miles to qualify for the highest tier.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My goal is to use non-stops between SFO-NYC and get into the highest tier possible, with 10-12 trips (and a spend of around $10-12k).
What are the benefits you are trying to acquire with high tier status? Or worded differently, what benefits do you value? I'd go with whichever airline satisfies those desires.
Old May 24, 2017, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
plus you'll continue to earn 2 additional RPU every 25,000 PQM and 2 additional GPU every 50,000 PQM, which you can use on one of the flights
More opportunities to watch that ps upgrade die on the waitlist!
Old May 24, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I would keep on trucking with UA. You can keep earning additional RPU/GPU and of course you get to enjoy the benefits you worked so hard for.

Also, in the long run you are working on MM status.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
If you want to earn miles for free international business class trips stay with UA, I've found that UA miles are far easier to use than e.g. my Amex miles (which I can transfer to DL, AA, AC, etc). Much more value for the same miles, and better availability.

If that isn't particularly important to you, there's probably no real distinction between airlines.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Switch.

It does not sound like you will make GS, nor you have any use with the extra upgrade instruments.

DL - There is a reason why DL's program is known as SkyPeso.

B6 - Not many real benefits you can use.

AS/VX - In the process of merger. It could be messy.

How about AA? AA is an alternative for AS/VX, as you can earn from AS to credit AA (not sure with VX yet).
Old May 25, 2017, 8:05 am

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
You can ask for status match to AA, I contacted them if I can get any, then they offered me 3 month Platinum Executive and it would continue till January next year if I fly 35000PQM/(I forget segment requirement) and $4000EQD.

I think this offer may not be relevant to you, but it might be nice chance for you to tryout another airline elite status.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
More opportunities to watch that ps upgrade die on the waitlist!
true - although I've spotted some rare R space availability
Old May 25, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by uecsome
You can ask for status match to AA, I contacted them if I can get any, then they offered me 3 month Platinum Executive and it would continue till January next year if I fly 35000PQM/(I forget segment requirement) and $4000EQD.

I think this offer may not be relevant to you, but it might be nice chance for you to tryout another airline elite status.
I sort of agree, but status match is a one-time only deal. A few months' of EXP now might not be so worthwhile if, for whatever reason in the future, OP switches over to AA and will need to build status completely from scratch.

Probably better to stick with UA for now and enjoy 1K perks to the fullest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.