Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1579 evacuated on the tarmac @ EWR - engine fire - 23 May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1579 evacuated on the tarmac @ EWR - engine fire - 23 May 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It was probably your aircraft. We were on 5989, which left from gate 82. UA1456, ship 5989, arrived at gate 82 at 11:22 pm, so it looks as if we were on he same ship.
Old May 24, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It was probably your aircraft. We were on 5989, which left from gate 82. UA1456, ship 5989, arrived at gate 82 at 11:22 pm, so it looks as if we were on he same ship.
Yeah it was my ship for sure, all those details match what my flight status and info was from yesterday, glad you made it out there safely
Old May 24, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I got a very nice call from the United corporate office this afternoon making sure that everything was fine. They've also offered a $500 travel certificate.

Last night, they brought in high quality food to the United Club--the old one at EWR; it looked as if they bought it from the vendors on the concourse as the restaurants were closing. They eventually relented and served alcohol.

I don't recall when the old Club closes, but we probably got there around 1030 pm. We seemed to be the only guests.

I have to say again that, all things considered, United did a truly great job yesterday.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Glad everyone is OK. This is one thing that makes EWR OPPS such a tightrope - in the event of something like this the airport is frozen. It isn't like ORD, EWR, or most other major airports where you can use other runways.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:24 pm

I'm thinking that a drink was eminently deserved after that. Glad they rethought that one.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N104UA
Agreed, I think they should be prosecuted for endangerment and disobeying crew member instructions.

Alternatively UA could "Group Evacuate"
Group 1- Those pax who are smart enough to leave ALL carry ons behind
Group 2- Those pax stupid enough to think that them having their carry-on is more important than the lives of their fellow passengers.
It should be a misdemeanor or something afterwards where they need to take classes/do community service hours.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:41 pm

True. Nothing. I'm just glad there wasn't a fire.

I also realized that the overwing exits weren't used, so they did a really good job getting everyone off in about a minute using only three of ten possible exits.
Ordinarily if I was sitting in the exit row, I would immediately open the overwing exit. But, was the engine still on fire or smoking hot? Maybe that's why those exits didn't get used?
Old May 24, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I grabbed my phone and charger and took those--they were sitting on the shelf behind me in 4F. I left everything else. I wear slippers on transcontinental flights, which amused some people. ...
Originally Posted by studentff
Good for UA for getting customers their bags back in a few hours. IMO one of the best things airlines can do to encourage passengers to leave bags behind in an evacuation ....
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I wear a vest when I fly that has my cash, passport, keys, phone, USB sick with a backup of my important files, and other important things. I also never take my shoes off until we are at cruise, and put them on during the initial descent. I wear the same thing when I fly my own small plane... in which case I never take my shoes off.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It should be a misdemeanor or something afterwards where they need to take classes/do community service hours.
I'm the same with my shoes, I don't take them off til at least at 10Kft and same for descent. I know the chances are tiny, but I guess I feel better.

As for taking bags, I don't think seeing how quickly UA gets your bags back to you will do anything to convince people to leave their bags. People probably take their bags because they don't want the plane to blow up and have all their stuff go up in flames. If every knew in advance there would be no issue with their belongings, they probably wouldn't bother to evacuate in the first place.

As for what I would do in that situation, who knows. I imagine I'd grab my small laptop bag that I keep at my feet as I don't think it would make any difference in the amount of time it takes to egress. Its fast enough to just strap it to my body. I'd prob spend more time waiting for the person next to or in front of me. As for going up in the bin, I usually check my bag so its not a factor. If I did have a bag up there I can't imagine a situation where I could get it and not block someone or take more time myself. I suppose it all depends on the situation. If I have a broken leg, the cabin is flooding with water and filling with smoke, I probably wouldn't be going for my laptop bag.

As for getting arrested/fined for taking your bag and not listening to FA, I highly doubt that would ever hold up in court. In an emergency, people are in a different frame of mind and in a real emergency, in survival mode. Unless you're trained or have experience, there's no way to predict how you'd behave in an emergency.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Great advice - it isn't unexpected from an airline perspective that someone(s) will break a leg or ankle going down the slide.
And I believe that is why it is such a touch decision for a pilot to make. How many people might get injured in an evacuation? With an engine fire, is it safer outside or inside? etc etc

I got a very nice call from the United corporate office this afternoon making sure that everything was fine. They've also offered a $500 travel certificate.

Last night, they brought in high quality food to the United Club--the old one at EWR; it looked as if they bought it from the vendors on the concourse as the restaurants were closing. They eventually relented and served alcohol.

I don't recall when the old Club closes, but we probably got there around 1030 pm. We seemed to be the only guests.

I have to say again that, all things considered, United did a truly great job yesterday.
Nice to see UA took care of you.

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Ordinarily if I was sitting in the exit row, I would immediately open the overwing exit. But, was the engine still on fire or smoking hot? Maybe that's why those exits didn't get used?
You shouldn't do anything unless a crew instructs you to (or its an obvious life threatening emergency). A common thing I hear from FA's are instances where someone freaks out and opens a door, deploying the slides.

Last edited by eng3; May 24, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
You shouldn't do anything unless a crew instructs you to (or its an obvious life threatening emergency). A common thing I hear from FA's are instances where someone freaks out and opens a door, deploying the slides.
Or US1549, which sank faster because a panicking pax opened an aft exit door.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by eng3
I'm the same with my shoes, I don't take them off til at least at 10Kft and same for descent. I know the chances are tiny, but I guess I feel better.
I am the same way with the shoes on until at 10K feet or so (assuming I haven't fallen asleep. )

About 10-12 years ago, I was going through BKK a lot, and on one occasion about a week before or after I transited, there was an event with the UA flight which caused an aborted takeoff and an emergency evacuation. The news reports said there were numerous minor injuries, all due to cuts to the feet during the evacuation.

So it's shoes on for me!
Old May 24, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 1kBill

So it's shoes on for me!
I think it was this thread in 2008 about a 777 evac in Paris in February that taught me that lesson.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ia-slides.html

Anyway, we all of sudden had a full engine and power shutdown, which I thought very unusual, followed by an insistent bleeping sound which the rather startled cabin crew realised after 10 seconds was the evacuation signal. Then, lickety-split, open went all the doors, whoosh went the slides, and out went all the passengers in double quick time, albeit many with no shoes (!), out on to a cold and windy tarmac miles from the terminal.
Could be worse than bare feet on a cold tarmac, of course, but still, keeping shoes on and passport/wallet/phone in cargo pants pocket is now SOP for me.
Old May 25, 2017, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
People just don't listen when evacuating. Leave your bags behind. Bring your passport and mobile phone (and charger) by keeping them in the seat pocket for easy access.

When on the slide, take your shoes off and keep them in your arms and slide. Put shoes back on at the bottom after moving out of the way.
Old May 25, 2017, 3:32 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
So, any real news on what the cause was?
Old May 25, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
So, any real news on what the cause was?
Compressor stalls or maybe a hot start, they happen from time to time.

They typically are naturally extinguished immediately and no one ever sees them, especially during the day. This in particular was radioed by the plane behind who would have the best view. According to the ATC recording it was happening for 30+ sec and the captain cut power and evacuated.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:33 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
So in that case, is anything done to the engine? I see the aircraft hasnt flown yet since that night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.