Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA1579 evacuated on the tarmac @ EWR - engine fire - 23 May 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA1579 evacuated on the tarmac @ EWR - engine fire - 23 May 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Was just about to post. My friend is on a flight waiting to take off and can see it out the window at EWR. Seems like there will be some delays tonight, but good to hear everyone is ok.
I was one of those delayed last night at EWR. Our flight pushed back, but had to return to the gate because of an FA needing to get off the plane due to a family emergency. We pushed back again, but were stopped due to UA1579. Ended up being a 3 hour delay getting into Chicago (original scheduled arrival was 9:30pm, arrived at 12:24am).

More important than my meager delay, glad it wasn't a serious incident and that everyone is okay! I'm sure there were some nerves, especially after the Manchester incident.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
They're going to run us in small groups to get our things. I posted the announcement they made; it's on Facebook, but the link isn't working here.

https://www.facebook.com/hugh.mcmanu...7655079248760/
Good for UA for getting customers their bags back in a few hours. IMO one of the best things airlines can do to encourage passengers to leave bags behind in an evacuation is to make a big public showing of quickly reuniting passengers with their bags after "minor" evacuations. Putting a clip of it in the safety video might even be good idea.

They're all over it. There are people milling around answering concerns: lots of United people. There were 124 passengers, only 3 are being unreasonable, but I guess everyone deals with these things in their own way.
The police were really insistent that they get an accurate headcount. One officer complained that United lawyers refused to release the numbers. I just saw the published number I overheard an FA say.

The police were awesome.
If the 3 people were being unreasonable regarding the false/illegal detention, then I reluctantly support them. If the issue were headcount, the police could simply count anyone who leaves the room and inform them they may not return. Otherwise, the routine of "am I under arrest? am I being detained? Then I must be free to go?" seems quite appropriate. IANAL, but detention for hours to obtain a headcount does not seem "reasonable" to me.

Sounds like UA and the police did a great job overall; shame they seem to have done this one "little" thing to mess it up. Seems cops have to mess things up with a power trip all too often.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I also realized that the overwing exits weren't used, so they did a really good job getting everyone off in about a minute using only three of ten possible exits.
This is impressive!

It's very disappointing that some pax felt compelled to take their carry-ons. While I like to think I would be one to leave everything behind, I've never been in an evacuation situation so I can't say for sure how I would react. (However, at T/O and landing, I always have my phone, passport and readers in my pockets, just in case.)
Old May 24, 2017, 9:46 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by 1kBill
This is impressive!

It's very disappointing that some pax felt compelled to take their carry-ons. While I like to think I would be one to leave everything behind, I've never been in an evacuation situation so I can't say for sure how I would react. (However, at T/O and landing, I always have my phone, passport and readers in my pockets, just in case.)
Its funny how when theres an emergency, 130 people can get off a plane in a minute, but when you pull up to a gate after a flight, after one minute, maybe only 30 people would have deboarded.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by studentff
If the 3 people were being unreasonable regarding the false/illegal detention, then I reluctantly support them. If the issue were headcount, the police could simply count anyone who leaves the room and inform them they may not return. Otherwise, the routine of "am I under arrest? am I being detained? Then I must be free to go?" seems quite appropriate. IANAL, but detention for hours to obtain a headcount does not seem "reasonable" to me.

Sounds like UA and the police did a great job overall; shame they seem to have done this one "little" thing to mess it up. Seems cops have to mess things up with a power trip all too often.
I sympathize with the police/ airport authorities a little bit here (which I am generally loath to do). They were scrambling to make sure they had everybody safely back in the terminal so they could re-open the airport. Can't have aircraft movements with random people wandering around the airfield.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by aradisc
I sympathize with the police/ airport authorities a little bit here (which I am generally loath to do). They were scrambling to make sure they had everybody safely back in the terminal so they could re-open the airport. Can't have aircraft movements with random people wandering around the airfield.
As do I, hence the "reluctant" support. But based on the times of the facebook posts, this video was taken at least 2 hours after the initial evacuation and seems to have occurred around or after the time the airport reopened for takeoffs/landings. So everyone was off the tarmac, and 2 hours is plenty of time to get a headcount or verify names against a manifest and "release" matched individuals who desire to exit.

The choice of words of the police Lieutenant in the video was confrontational, escalating, power-trippy, and invited a challenge. ("No one is allowed to leave this area. Is that understood?")

You catch more flies with honey, not vinegar. They could have made a request instead of a demand, but LEOs these days don't seem to understand de-escalation or politeness, just asserting their authority.

My guess of my personal reaction in such a situation is that I would not have even considered leaving (still want to get my bags and make my flight) until that announcement was made, but the implication of detention would trigger a flight/fight response urging me to get out asap or at minimum make a stink and stop cooperating with anyone. I suspect that's not an atypical human response.

It's really too bad -- based on the accounts here it seems UA and the authorities did a really great job -- but this spoils it.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by studentff
As do I, hence the "reluctant" support. But based on the times of the facebook posts, this video was taken at least 2 hours after the initial evacuation and seems to have occurred around or after the time the airport reopened for takeoffs/landings. So everyone was off the tarmac, and 2 hours is plenty of time to get a headcount or verify names against a manifest and "release" matched individuals who desire to exit.
There are many legal reasons (especially as it relates to planes/fires/national security) you can be detained legally and not simply be free to go in a short amount of time. If there is an explosion/fire etc on a plane, plan on sticking around until it is sorted out.

It is far to simplistic to say the release criteria is matching a name against a manifest then leave. For all we know the police were detaining people to ensure the fire/non-fire wasn't caused by a passenger - and once that was resolved then release the passengers. If a passenger wanted to forcefully leave and got arrested - then a judge would have to find the detainment was longer than necessary.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:01 am

Not to speculate too much, but what are possible reasons for such a fire?
Old May 24, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: DL,EK
This is impressive!

I wear a vest when I fly that has my cash, passport, keys, phone, USB sick with a backup of my important files, and other important things. I also never take my shoes off until we are at cruise, and put them on during the initial descent. I wear the same thing when I fly my own small plane... in which case I never take my shoes off.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
Not to speculate too much, but what are possible reasons for such a fire?
I'll speculate...from what I'm gathering there actually was no true engine fire.

If this occured during a delayed engine start while taxiing to the runway, it's possible there may have been some residual fuel or oil in the engine that ignited upon light off. Causes quite a dramatic flame but essentially harmless once the initial propellant is exhausted.

If this triggered an ENGINE FIRE or ENGINE OVERHEAT EICAS message along with reports from other pilots that would definitely raise concern for me personally. Sure would be nice but we can't visually see the engines from the flight deck.

Going to fly tomorrow, I'll hopefully get the whole story then.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
This is impressive!

i do need to let people know that if you ever have to go down that slide, you really gather speed and you hit the ground with a thud. If you decide to carry and extra 20 to 40 pounds of baggage, the momentum you build will overpower when you hit the concrete.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
i do need to let people know that if you ever have to go down that slide, you really gather speed and you hit the ground with a thud. If you decide to carry and extra 20 to 40 pounds of baggage, the momentum you build will overpower when you hit the concrete.
Great advice - it isn't unexpected from an airline perspective that someone(s) will break a leg or ankle going down the slide.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by clubord
I'll speculate...from what I'm gathering there actually was no true engine fire.

If this occured during a delayed engine start while taxiing to the runway, it's possible there may have been some residual fuel or oil in the engine that ignited upon light off. Causes quite a dramatic flame but essentially harmless once the initial propellant is exhausted.

If this triggered an ENGINE FIRE or ENGINE OVERHEAT EICAS message along with reports from other pilots that would definitely raise concern for me personally. Sure would be nice but we can't visually see the engines from the flight deck.

Going to fly tomorrow, I'll hopefully get the whole story then.
Do update us if you find anything out please!
Old May 24, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: United MP Premier Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Was flying in last night to EWR from SFO ( Pretty sure this flight took the bird I took into SFO), we were about 40 minutes from landing when the captain announced that EWR was closed because of an emergency and evacuation, with the possibility of a diversion or hold in the air as we were on the cusp of landing time when airport was scheduled to re-open. Was glad everyone was safe.

originally was going to take the 2pm departure from sfo and glad I didnt since that was diverted to IAD.

I got into gate 82 but when walking to baggage claim, noticed a bunch of cops and united ground management standing near gate in the 70's so I am assuming this was the after effects of this flight?
Old May 24, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Fredd
Glad you and all others are okay, OP, and thanks for the first-hand report. ^

As to pax lugging their carry-ons down the slides, my inner fascist suggests the of anybody self-identifying as a member of the Me Generation found in the possession of same post-evacuation.
Agreed, I think they should be prosecuted for endangerment and disobeying crew member instructions.

Alternatively UA could "Group Evacuate"
Group 1- Those pax who are smart enough to leave ALL carry ons behind
Group 2- Those pax stupid enough to think that them having their carry-on is more important than the lives of their fellow passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.