Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much pitch would be added by removing one row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much pitch would be added by removing one row?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by gene2632
As long as demand is growing and share holders are more important than customers you can expect to see seat pitch continue to shrink on the cheapest fares.
I would say it differently. As long as customers choose to pay less for less legroom, they will continue to offer horrible E- pitch. E+ is an option but the OP chose not to buy up. That implies there's a market for torture to save $30 or whatever it is. They will continue to service that market.

The suggestion to eliminate a row and increase pitch has already been done. It's called E+. If everyone wanted that much pitch, then MRTC would have worked. But people, including the OP have shown over and over again, that they choose price over comfort when it comes to airline tickets.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by dw
Not even European ULCCs anymore... BA will be going down to 29" on their A319s and A320s. It was only a matter of time until something approaching that came to one of the US legacies (which ended up being AA) and I wouldn't be surprised to see the others follow eventually.
The eventual plan is to install slaughterhouse meat hooks and hang passengers off of them. Just think of how much lower ticket prices will be with that kind of ultra dense passenger footprint!
Old May 23, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by itsallgood
The eventual plan is to install slaughterhouse meat hooks and hang passengers off of them. Just think of how much lower ticket prices will be with that kind of ultra dense passenger footprint!
Ryanair has paid for research into "bicycle" or "saddle" seats were are only a little less space efficient than that
Old May 23, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gene2632
As long as demand is growing and share holders are more important than customers you can expect to see seat pitch continue to shrink on the cheapest fares.
I could see a section of very low seat pitch, lets say 28" and lets call it "basic economy". Maybe take out the tray table, storage area and put a sticker with the safety card on the back of the seat in order to make the seat thinner and pu them even closer together. They could limit basic economy pax (and unlucky pax who do not have a seat assignment or on the standby list) only to those seats.

At some point standard economy will be renamed to economy plus and basic economy will be renamed to standard economy.

Then at some point after a few plane crashes or fires, etc where people can't get out of their seats. Once you get a few hundred fatalities, maybe something will change.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Removing the tray table isn't going to slim the seat any appreciable amount, especially at the most critical point - where one's knees are.

"Slimline" seats are already pretty much at the limits of what is required regarding crash strength and "seat cushion used for flotation" specs.

The next move by the airlines is to convince everyone that they can "get by" on 30" of pitch. And then 29". And then 28". And then 27".
Old May 23, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Nope. There were boors and drunks flying from the time people started flying.

If you can't handle seat pitch less than 32" you really need to buy on E+ (or F) seating on UA/DL/AA. You demand more than what is typically offered in the standard coach config these days. Carrier (or SeatGuru) seat maps will confirm this broadly across the mainline and RJ fleets.
I typically always pay up for F or E+ but wasn't able to on this flight. Thus the point of my post. It's been a few years and several pounds since I last flew in E-.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by nnn
AA's problem was that they gave it to everybody in the entire Y cabin for free rather than monetizing the product as UA did with only part of the cabin available for expanded legroom. I guess the thinking was that it would enough attract pax from OAL's to drive up incremental pricing.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
All about the revenue and what they can get away with while still meeting safety requirements. As others have noted if your parents sadly gave you them genes than there is always E+ or more and more $$$ for your comfort and health. I'd say your health is priceless don't sell yourself short.

Just off my PVG-SFO bi-weekly run, there was a poor guy with me in E+ must have been 6'3" maybe 270? lbs, the poor guy barely even fit in the seat and overflowed into the aisle and his neighbor, I have no clue how he could safely and comfortably sit there for 11+ hours. If that poor guy was stuck next to me it would have been an issue! The airlines need to do something here, I wonder who has the liability if the seating results in a clear case of physical injury. I believe there was a recent case of some guy trying to sue for this.

Of course in today's supersizing the seats is becoming disconnected with the demographics of the travel, except for the Far East
Old May 23, 2017, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
"Slimline" seats are already pretty much at the limits of what is required regarding crash strength and "seat cushion used for flotation" specs.
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you.

The next generation of slimline seats makes some interesting changes over the stuff currently flying to further increase density.

The next move by the airlines is to convince everyone that they can "get by" on 30" of pitch. And then 29". And then 28". And then 27".
You're a couple inches off already. Flying at 29" on the current generation of seats is a reality today. This is me (5'11"/195#) sitting in a next gen slimline pitched at 28" last month.

Eventually the seats hit the limits of evac testing on the planes for total occupancy and the squeeze stops.

Originally Posted by findark
Ryanair has paid for research into "bicycle" or "saddle" seats were are only a little less space efficient than that
I don't know that FR paid for it, but the SkyRider model made the rounds circa 2010. There were a couple issues that meant it would never fly, including head impact (HIC) and inability to adjust for different heights properly. But it has been demo'd a few times.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by sbm12
You'd like to think that, wouldn't you.

The next generation of slimline seats makes some interesting changes over the stuff currently flying to further increase density.
Has the seat in the pic you display actually been certified? And God help us, the seat back is vertical.

Eventually the seats hit the limits of evac testing on the planes for total occupancy and the squeeze stops.
An excellent reason for the FAA and/or NTSB to step in and create new, lower limits for evac testing to prevent the squeeze.

Last edited by DenverBrian; May 24, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old May 23, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
An excellent reason for the FAA and/or NTSB to step in and create new, lower limits for evac testing to prevent the squeeze.
Unfortunately, safety has to be weighted against cost (and politics). There are plenty of technologies that exist that could save more lives but they are not implemented because they are not required because it was decided it wasnt worth the cost.

The only way to override the cost is if people start dying directly because of the seat pitch. And it would have to be alot of people over decades
Old May 23, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Has the seat in the pic you display actually been certified? And God help us, the seat back is vertical.
I doubt it, I can't see how they're going to pull off 14 CFR 25.562.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which one?

They SkyRider (more upright, saddle seat) has not and will not be. The other one either already is or will be soon and should be on UA planes at some point IIRC.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Joe K.
I typically always pay up for F or E+ but wasn't able to on this flight. Thus the point of my post. It's been a few years and several pounds since I last flew in E-.
Sorry, but if that situation happens again you just need to plan to take a different flight that does have E+ or F available. It's like people who are afraid to fly: they drive, train, or just don't go.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
Unfortunately, safety has to be weighted against cost (and politics). There are plenty of technologies that exist that could save more lives but they are not implemented because they are not required because it was decided it wasnt worth the cost.
The airlines will just order more exits.. cf. the 737 MAX 200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.