Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it a waste of miles+money to upgrade to business on Newark-Shannon 757 flight?

Is it a waste of miles+money to upgrade to business on Newark-Shannon 757 flight?

Old May 21, 2017, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Is it a waste of miles+money to upgrade to business on Newark-Shannon 757 flight? My current seat assignment is 21C, exit aisle E+ seat.

Just going one way... I'm returning to Newark over the Pacific.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's overnight so it depends entirely on a) whether you mind missing a night's sleep on this short flight and b) whether you can sleep sitting upright.
Old May 21, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
Is it a waste of miles+money to upgrade to business on Newark-Shannon 757 flight? My current seat assignment is 21C, exit aisle E+ seat.

Just going one way... I'm returning to Newark over the Pacific.
How long is your stay? What do you have to do the next morning? I would certainly GPU if R were open; I'd probably be a bit more hesitant about a $550 copay. That said, if you have a short trip and want to sleep, J is definitely worth it for such a short TATL.
Old May 21, 2017, 1:39 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
That flight is about the same duration as EWR-SFO. Would you pay $550 and the miles to upgrade the transcon? I know I wouldn't - in fact I wouldn't even waste a GPU on this unless I had one going begging. Even though it's a red-eye, you'd do well to get more than 3 hours sleep - I'd sooner nap (or not) in coach, and then crash on arrival.

Different equation if you've got something important to do in Shannon in the morning, of course.

Ultimately it's opportunity cost. If you're cash and miles rich, then OC is minimal. If not, then it's large.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
You are well positioned in 21C. Row 21A/C/D/F are the best Y seats on the UA 752. Lots of leg room, and they have recline unlike row 20 which are fixed. There is enough room to get by your seat mates without them having to get up. I would choose 21A as I could lean towards the window side but that is personal preference.

I once did a EWR-LHR r/t in 21A and had 21B/C vacant on both legs. Quite decent circumstances and a rare UA nicety.

If you were stuck in an E- middle seat I would suggest you more seriously consider the upgrade. But if you can tough out a relatively short overnight flight IMO better off staying where you are.

SL
Old May 21, 2017, 5:28 am

If you can use a GPU, always do it. That's my rule of thumb.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WalterSFO
To me, absolutely.
Old May 21, 2017, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I always purchase the UG if it is an overnight flight unless I am sure I will get an empty row of three seats that I can make my own economy lie flat.

In the end, you should decide for yourself what you value and what you don't. If you want to spring for the UG, don't worry about what people here think about your decision.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:04 am

It's like a red eye transcon and I'd evaluate it with that in mind. Plenty of people pay extra to sit in J on transcons hence the introduction of long-haul J offers on those routes. But obviously many others would consider it a waste.

It depends on (1) how deep your pockets are and (2) how tolerable you find the Y+ product. If you find a seat uncomfortable then even 5h30m is a long time to sit in it.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca

It depends on (1) how deep your pockets are and
guess it's like that old saying, if I have to ask, my pockets are probably not deep enough(both in terms of money and miles)

I'm going to stay where I belong in 21C. there are better ways to spend hundreds of dollars(or euros) while in Ireland, right?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 21, 2017 at 11:08 am Reason: inappropriate comment removed
Old May 21, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
While I'll always apply a GPU if I can (they go unused on my p.s. route), my preferred strategy for Europe is to arrive early and occupy a day room at a hotel ($150, say) before moving on. For example, connect in FRA for a later flight to Florence.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.