Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD-NRT, HND-ORD NH F award, was this the best use of miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP/MM

I just redeemed 440,000 UA miles for 2pax, ORD-NRT, HND-ORD in NH F. Was this the best use? I'm beginning to question whether securing a ticket with a connection would have prolonged the free ride. Then again... most of them were mixed cabin with either C or Y for one of the legs.
Old May 18, 2017, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Make a change to ORD-FRA-NRT 2 weeks out to LH/NH F combo :P
Old May 18, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
110K per person is the going rate UA charges for partner first class. I don't think you could of done better (via MP). However, I normally just do 80K each way for business and save the miles for other trips. On the flip side NH F is amazing!
Old May 18, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Agreed.

As for changing it to a mixed combo, def not. Why sit in Y (or even C) if you're paying the high partner redemption rate that MP charges?
Keep the NH F at least.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
do you have amex MR points? you can book 2 F roundtrips on NH for only 185,000 points via recent VS promo

Last edited by tonykline1947; May 18, 2017 at 3:57 pm
Old May 18, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
it's not as simple as it used to be. new UA award search brings only TPAC routes for Japan in my recent experience
Old May 18, 2017, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Pookie1794
I just redeemed 440,000 UA miles for 2pax, ORD-NRT, HND-ORD in NH F. Was this the best use? I'm beginning to question whether securing a ticket with a connection would have prolonged the free ride. Then again... most of them were mixed cabin with either C or Y for one of the legs.
I am not as impressed with NH F, so I would probably not have spent those types of miles for your itinerary. But it is all a bit relative. If you are miles rich, need/want to be in Tokyo, and want a nice ride...you were able to score 2 seats on acceptable dates.

Were there other alternatives that were available?
Old May 18, 2017, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's a fine redemption if you have miles to burn.

One alternative suggestion would be to do the outbound in F, the return in J, as I tend to sleep most of the way home from Asia.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
EXACTLY what I was going to say Problem is these days multi-city tickets price differently and are an extra pain to find.

Also, OP the best use of miles if how you define it. If you are happy with it, and excited about the trip then yes it is the best use.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
IMHO UA F or NH J are a better deal. That said (and I know it's contradictory), I always "waste" miles and choose NH F when I have a choice.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
+100 if possible this is the best. Either LH F all the way with FCT in FRA or connecting to NH F which is also superb (but no FCT).
NH F is worth the extra miles over J IMO.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cfischer
+100 if possible this is the best. Either LH F all the way with FCT in FRA or connecting to NH F which is also superb (but no FCT).
NH F is worth the extra miles over J IMO.
so if you arrive with LH in F, you should have access to the FCT, right?
I think they may not drive you to your next flight with NH. They may drive you to the gate.
Old May 18, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a fine redemption if you have miles to burn.

One alternative suggestion would be to do the outbound in F, the return in J, as I tend to sleep most of the way home from Asia.
+1 on this though I like the food in F better ex-TYO than ex-USA.

It's a fine redemption as others have noted. The only way to improve (apart from LH F) would be to throw in an excursionist leg for a future trip
Old May 18, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Pookie1794
IMO, that's the best you can do. Forget about changing planes and enjoy the ride: true first class TPAC air travel from the time you check in until you land back in O'Hare.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
this but also believe there is a LH/LH F compo all on the 747

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.