Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Uniformed Crew Bumping CPU List, Sitting in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uniformed Crew Bumping CPU List, Sitting in F

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
Believe this was answered.. see following:

"Available" means positive space, i.e. F inventory.

I don't understand the level of anger at pilots being booked into F. How is it any different than any other company choosing to put its employees on your flight in F? UA is buying the seats (lost revenue) for its own employees. As some have noted, if being in F is so important you too can buy it.
I'm guessing that the anger is more about the potential of shenanigans, which -- if the crew was legitimately booked into F -- would not be the case.

Wouldn't it be great if UA could roll out codes next to each upgrader's name to indicate the reason for the upgrade?

C = CPU
R = RPU
G = GPU
M = Mileage
T$ = TOD
O = Operational
N = Nonrev
P = Positive Space
S = Shenanigans

Old May 19, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SS255
I'm guessing that the anger is more about the potential of shenanigans, which -- if the crew was legitimately booked into F -- would not be the case.

Wouldn't it be great if UA could roll out codes next to each upgrader's name to indicate the reason for the upgrade?

C = CPU
R = RPU
G = GPU
M = Mileage
T$ = TOD
O = Operational
N = Nonrev
P = Positive Space
S = Shenanigans

If they did this then people would start comparing, oh why did this 1K get a CPU when this 1K didn't. etc etc.

I see UA going the other way. If people keep complaining then... they'll get so fed up they'll eliminate the CPU benefit altogether.

Or hide the upgrade 'list' and just do it behind the scenes. No public-facing visible list, no one can complain. Sorry your upgrade didn't clear, but you now can't see if anyone cleared at all.
Old May 19, 2017, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
And what about the contract with pilots that say they get F in certain circumstances? Are they less important. Maybe they'll give you the job of reaching out to pilots to let them know that they won't get their contractual benefit to F because there are a bunch of people whining on an Internet forum about how they 'expect' to get F for free.

Look, I'm as glad as the next guy when i get upgraded. But I also am not stupid enough to have the expectation that I'll be upgraded on all, 80%, 50%, or even 1% of the flights I take. Having the expectation of an upgrade is a customer perception problem, much of it from the days when there were more unsold F seats since the economy wasn't as good. Carriers have buckled down on capacity as well as focusing on how to sell those seats for revenue, even if not on full fare F. The result is fewer upgrades. You can either bring up your expectations to the reality of the airline industry today (more benefits based on revenue vs. miles flown, fewer free upgrades, but often the ability to buy it at a lower cost, etc.) or you can complain that things aren't like yesteryear, and threaten to go to the next carrier (which in general operates the same way). I think I'm probably happier and less stressed not expecting my upgrade rate to be what it was 5 years ago then fighting how things are currently and how they'll be in the future.
My post was pretty clear - unless the employee has a contractural provision to that F seat, or is riding on a PS pass that permits F travel (in which case no one on the flight would even know), no employee should be riding up front, especially in uniform, while paying customers are in the back waiting for upgrades which are part of their own contractual provision with the airline.

We all know that Shenanigans occur on a regular basis where a GA or even FA will put a friend or colleague in a F or J seat under the table - and for that reason, as rare as it may or may not be, passengers need to remain vigilant.

Also, I have no problem with UA or any airline selling discounted P or Z fares, nor do I have a problem with them selling a fare-difference buy-up to anyone - however I do have a problem with the almost mind-numbing abject stupidity of selling a Kettle a F seat out from under an Elite customer for an amount that may be less than, equal to, or even a $20-30 more than the ancillary revenue the airline would have received from that customer's checked bags alone.

Either way, we have a major problem with transparency and expectations and customers with a contract that includes a provision for complimentary upgrades have a right to full transparency with regard to how upgrades are being handled.
Old May 19, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
If they did this then people would start comparing, oh why did this 1K get a CPU when this 1K didn't. etc etc.

I see UA going the other way. If people keep complaining then... they'll get so fed up they'll eliminate the CPU benefit altogether.

Or hide the upgrade 'list' and just do it behind the scenes. No public-facing visible list, no one can complain. Sorry your upgrade didn't clear, but you now can't see if anyone cleared at all.
I think they should only list to the number of F seats available on the board, flying an A320 only top 12 shown, flying a pmCO 772 top 50 shown, a CR7 only top 6.

This will avoid having 50+ people on the list who have no realistic chance of an upgrade.

Once F boards they remove names from the list, 10/12 boarded only 2 are shown the list, when F boards full the list goes away and shows "Upgrade List Closed" If someone declines and upgrade or is a no show then you can find the next person on the plane and surprise them but when I see an A319 with an upgrade list of 60+ it is crazy to me that I need to see that I am #40
Old May 19, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N104UA
If someone declines and upgrade or is a no show then you can find the next person on the plane and surprise them but when I see an A319 with an upgrade list of 60+ it is crazy to me that I need to see that I am #4 0
Two problems with this approach:
  1. If the system failed to add an eligible person to the list, that person wouldn't have any way to know -- even if he or she should have been #1 on the list.
  2. Many (most?) people who saw that wouldn't immediately assume, "oh, I guess my status is too low," they'd assume, "hey, United left me off the list." Then you'd have pointless phone calls / tweets / gate agent questions in order to reassure each person that they had been considered for the SFO-IAD upgrade but that their spots were too low on the list.

I would prefer to see the entire list, including people who haven't checked in yet. Even better, I'd like to see it appear during SDC: "On this flight, you would be #4 on the list." The more information available to me, the better the decision I can make.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
My post was pretty clear - unless the employee has a contractural provision to that F seat, or is riding on a PS pass that permits F travel (in which case no one on the flight would even know), no employee should be riding up front, especially in uniform, while paying customers are in the back waiting for upgrades which are part of their own contractual provision with the airline.

We all know that Shenanigans occur on a regular basis where a GA or even FA will put a friend or colleague in a F or J seat under the table - and for that reason, as rare as it may or may not be, passengers need to remain vigilant.

Also, I have no problem with UA or any airline selling discounted P or Z fares, nor do I have a problem with them selling a fare-difference buy-up to anyone - however I do have a problem with the almost mind-numbing abject stupidity of selling a Kettle a F seat out from under an Elite customer for an amount that may be less than, equal to, or even a $20-30 more than the ancillary revenue the airline would have received from that customer's checked bags alone.

Either way, we have a major problem with transparency and expectations and customers with a contract that includes a provision for complimentary upgrades have a right to full transparency with regard to how upgrades are being handled.
This "shenanigans" 'stuff' regularly dispersed here on FT is all a bunch of malarkey. It's "basis" is a few loosely strewn together "stories" that are akin to the OP's post of this thread - that is, entirely unproven conjecture from people with a confirmation bias, who don't have all the facts, and are ignorant to UAL's policies/procedures/contractual agreements with it's employees.

No idea what you're first paragraph is stating - employees in or out of uniform could be contractually guaranteed to be in F, or could be NRPS. Period. End of story.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Shenanigans occur on a regular basis? No, we don't "all know that". Some (likely a very small minority) THINK that. But even if it does occur, I suspect it is so rare that's just not worth the time to worry about and certainly nothing "to remain vigilant" about.

Can you point us to the contract and specific clause that grants us the right to full transparency with regard to how upgrades are being handled? Would like to read that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.