Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by azzurro
This happened to me but my boarding pass was the UA app. No paper. I landed at connection point and was not on the upgrade list any more so I inquired at the podium only to find I was not on the flight at all, even though I was as of that morning. They never could explain what happened, best guess is that the beep when I scanned onto the first leg did not go through but no error message was generated. Not sure how that worked with the final passenger count, or if I did scan properly but UA computer somehow later misread it an cancelled the rest of the itinerary? Luckily they got me the last standby seat, and it was E+.
I suppose usually the would notice when they clear the standby passengers and you are sitting in their seat (or they want to sit in YOUR seat)
Old May 19, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
It's been a while since I've had this happen to me, but going from E+ to First, then calling in because UA didn't think I was on my outbound, with a fix of a middle seat in E- isn't my idea of a good time.

Flights are full, so mistakes on United's part make it frustrating. Place a call to me, email me, do something, but don't delete my return flight without taking a moment to reach out and figure things out.

Old United called me when issues happened, new United should take a look at what worked in past if they actually care.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was thinking that perhaps UA should check the manifests to see if the supposed "no show" actually boarded the flight.

Clerical mistakes happen - but UA does have the information and should cross check it before cancelling return flights.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
It's been a while since I've had this happen to me, but going from E+ to First, then calling in because UA didn't think I was on my outbound, with a fix of a middle seat in E- isn't my idea of a good time.

Flights are full, so mistakes on United's part make it frustrating. Place a call to me, email me, do something, but don't delete my return flight without taking a moment to reach out and figure things out.

Old United called me when issues happened, new United should take a look at what worked in past if they actually care.
I'm not sure how old United would have called you for this type of situation. If they didn't scan your BP properly, they couldn't tell if you simply no-showed - which is probably the (way more) usual scenario.

What old UA did differently was no-showing didn't cancel your itinerary at the close of the flight you weren't on - it gave you until midnight. Theoretically, it gives you more time to rectify before your itinerary is canceled. Realistically, it just means you don't know until later, as you wouldn't know you were considered a no show until your itinerary was actually canceled.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I was thinking that perhaps UA should check the manifests to see if the supposed "no show" actually boarded the flight.

Clerical mistakes happen - but UA does have the information and should cross check it before cancelling return flights.
Actually, it is quite often that I'll hear the GA come on board and check of someone has boarded but mistakes still happen.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Waiting until midnight at least means that someone usually wouldn't be stranded at a connecting airport. OTOH, if people are abusing fares by deliberately not taking the first segment, then if UA waits until midnight, this wouldn't be detected.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Waiting until midnight at least means that someone usually wouldn't be stranded at a connecting airport. OTOH, if people are abusing fares by deliberately not taking the first segment, then if UA waits until midnight, this wouldn't be detected.
In some cases, waiting until midnight could actually make it worse. At least if you know right away that your res got messed up, you could repair it at the connecting point, rather than realizing it for your return.

That said, I think this is less about misuse of fare than it is about their whacked out change fee structure they created.

They're interested in recovering inventory for them to resell. Sure, people forget and no-show, but there are also deliberate trip cancellations where the airline is not informed because the change fee exceeds the ticket value. They also now sell Basic Economy tickets that don't allow changes. So if you want to take a different flight, you shop for a new one and throw out the old.

So long as they give the customer no incentive to cancel, no shows are going to be a problem.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
So long as they give the customer no incentive to cancel, no shows are going to be a problem.
And the advice given out on this board...constantly, is to not make any changes until last minute...should IRROPS allow you to do it for free. Partially a result of the change fee, partially a result of folks insistence on trying to wiggle out of stuff they agreed to when buying the ticket.
Old May 19, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm not sure how old United would have called you for this type of situation. If they didn't scan your BP properly, they couldn't tell if you simply no-showed - which is probably the (way more) usual scenario.

What old UA did differently was no-showing didn't cancel your itinerary at the close of the flight you weren't on - it gave you until midnight. Theoretically, it gives you more time to rectify before your itinerary is canceled. Realistically, it just means you don't know until later, as you wouldn't know you were considered a no show until your itinerary was actually canceled.
What I know is that Pre-Merger UA called me more than once when this stuff happened, unfortunately they would call the home phone and speak with my wife, but they nevertheless made an effort. Now its zero communication and the only way I know something is wrong is seeing my reservation drop from the app.

I understand that it isn't practical to reach out to everyone, but I think a simple text/email/call to United's elite base before screwing up my return would be customer friendly. A simple "we didn't see you on the flight, you have x hours to respond before we cancel your remaining segments" might help things. I could then respond with a yes, I was on the flight.

Making this my problem for mistakes on UA's part is not cool.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I'm no expert on this matter, but I am willing to bet that UA would still have a record that it transported your checked luggage. How about them first looking at the luggage manifest before cancelling flights?
Old May 19, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
The only time this happened to me was pre-merger UA, and no, they didn't call me, they just cancelled my ticket. The agent told me I hadn't taken my outbound flight when i tried to check in for the return. I asked him how he thought I had gotten there. He wasn't pleasant about it, but he did restore my itinerary and I was able to fly.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm no expert on this matter, but I am willing to bet that UA would still have a record that it transported your checked luggage. How about them first looking at the luggage manifest before cancelling flights?
I have no confidence in their baggage tracing ability. I had a baggage issue with UA once where they texted me my bag didn't make it so I filed the claim, but waited anyway and sure enough the bag came out on the carousel. They were calling me for days telling me where my bag was (ORD, etc.). Even after I let them off the hook and told them I had it all along, they still called me a couple times telling me lies about my bag being in different places.

And the advice given out on this board...constantly, is to not make any changes until last minute...should IRROPS allow you to do it for free. Partially a result of the change fee, partially a result of folks insistence on trying to wiggle out of stuff they agreed to when buying the ticket.
Yup, there are no customer incentives to do otherwise. That is a hassle to do, but if the change fee was a partial value hit on the ticket, then more people would pay it and just cancel, allowing the airline the opportunity to resell the seat and the customer to recover some value.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
Flew outbound, boarding pass not scanned, ticket canceled - [RESOLVED].

*Deleted, problem solved. Mods, please remove. Thanks*

Last edited by GreerApproach; Jul 30, 2018 at 3:17 am
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GreerApproach
*Deleted, problem solved. Mods, please remove. Thanks*
Can you share what the outcome was and how it was solved?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Can you share what the outcome was and how it was solved?
typically, calling in can get the rest of the reservation reinstated when you explain what happened. A pain, of course. this is pretty rare - they usually still do manual counts (I think), and so it has to be a double whammy of the BP not getting scanned and the pax count getting mucked up. That helps solve these before departure.

Ive has this happen on DL before and it’s a major PITA - this was WX in ATL and so took me 24 hours even to get through to res to get it fixed since lines were jammed.
l etoile likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.