Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Citi Prestige, AMEX Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
They've been known to ask for used BPs. That's why I always print one, at the airport kiosk if I can - and this from a recycler and treehugger.
Why don't you just have the web site email you a PDF boarding pass, and then print it only if you need it? (Or actually, since you probably will end up faxing or uploading the bp, you might never need it on paper, so long as it is safely archived in your mailbox.)
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Unfortunately common in the post-March 2012 world.

Contact UA immediately via any means available to restore the remainder of your flight segments and pick seats.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 11:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mduell
... Contact UA immediately via any means available to restore the remainder of your flight segments and pick seats.
As the OP explained there were none in this case. Just the final segment which was successfully used.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ftweb
Why don't you just have the web site email you a PDF boarding pass, and then print it only if you need it? (Or actually, since you probably will end up faxing or uploading the bp, you might never need it on paper, so long as it is safely archived in your mailbox.)
I generally save a PDF BP, but I have actually never needed it in a long time (everything has posted okay).

I assume EmailKid reprints at the airport as addition "evidence" that s/he was actually at the airport and thus took the flight.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Unfortunately common in the post-March 2012 world.
Common?

Sure, it's anecdotal, but in the hundreds of segments my wife and I have taken since March 2012, including several with last minute changes due to IRROPS, I've never had it happen. Surely if this was a 'common' issue, it would have happened to one of us by now.

Does it happen occasionally - sure. On UA - yes. On other carriers? That's a yes too. For more context, in the same post-merger period, the number of segments I've flown on DL is in the single digits. And guess what - that happened to me there - wasn't boarded, return segments canceled (plus the added PITA of there being storms in ATL that day, so taking me a full day of even being able to get a hold of them to sort it out).

So no, I don't agree this is common, sorry.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I generally save a PDF BP, but I have actually never needed it in a long time (everything has posted okay).

I assume EmailKid reprints at the airport as addition "evidence" that s/he was actually at the airport and thus took the flight.
I check in on the app generally, and save the BP in passbook. But I haven't needed it ever either - probably since well before the merger - I've had a couple of situations with wrong/no posting, but a phone call has always done the trick, no BP necessary.

I'm not sure how printing a BP at the airport is going to be any additional proof that one actually boarded the flight vs. having a BP generated from home, on the app, etc. There's no reason why someone couldn't go to an airport kiosk, print a BP, then not get on the flight. I'm not sure why someone would do it, but there's no reason why one couldn't do it.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I'm not sure how printing a BP at the airport is going to be any additional proof that one actually boarded the flight vs. having a BP generated from home, on the app, etc. There's no reason why someone couldn't go to an airport kiosk, print a BP, then not get on the flight. I'm not sure why someone would do it, but there's no reason why one couldn't do it.
Sure, but I feel that it's that much closer to actually being in the air, moreover if it's endorsed by TSA, it shows I was airside.

When I post about Irrops and general screwups I also post a caveat, that anecdotally bad things happen to me far more than average UA flier.

While I haven't done any longhaul this year, in the past I would regularly lose at least one vacation day a year due to UA plane going MX or some other UA problem.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
New corporate reimbursement policy requires PDF copy of boarding pass. Occasionally I forget to email to myself during OLCI and have resorted to screenshots of whatever was saved to Apple Wallet. Once I was even quick enough to grab a boarding pass screenshot from within UA mobile app just before it refreshed.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I once was flying thru ORD to somewhere. Go to ask an agent about changing my seat or something and he says "you're not on this flight." I have my BP, and had just landed from LAX to connect. I assure him that I am, and after a lot of typing he says, well you missed your first leg so your other leg got cancelled as a no-show. I showed him the BP stub etc, having just flown UA to ORD, and ask him to poke around as it must be an IT glitch or maybe someone didn't board me correctly, and he at one point says "well, I can't put you on the flight because the computer says you're in LA!" I paused, laughed, and said, well, since I am me, and I am talking to you, I must be in Chicago, and I didn't drive here, right? At that point he caught himself, laughed, asked someone for help, and upgraded me for my trouble. We both ended smiling, but the poor guy must have been having a really stressful day to tell me I wasn't where I was. Interestingly, I did get miles for that first leg I supposedly didn't take.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Common?

Sure, it's anecdotal, but in the hundreds of segments my wife and I have taken since March 2012, including several with last minute changes due to IRROPS, I've never had it happen. Surely if this was a 'common' issue, it would have happened to one of us by now.
I've been bitten more than once post March 2012.

Does it happen occasionally - sure. On UA - yes. On other carriers? That's a yes too.
There's both frequency and impact to consider. If/when it happens on other carriers, is the response by the airline so swift and harsh? And the service recovery so ham-handed? If UA sent you an alert, offered an online correction option, and only cancelled the remaining segs at the end of the day, it wouldn't be so bad that they're failing on me so much.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure, but I feel that it's that much closer to actually being in the air, moreover if it's endorsed by TSA, it shows I was airside.
Team SFO (contractor) has taken to not writing anything on the BP, at least that's my recent experience @ SFO Intl G security.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by garkster
Team SFO (contractor) has taken to not writing anything on the BP, at least that's my recent experience @ SFO Intl G security.
My next scheduled flight is connecting at SFO, and since YYJ does not have US customs and immigration like YVR, guess I'll find out

Quite frankly I never did get why they bothered to sign / initial / stamp BPs
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:39 am

Marked as "no show" on a flight you took?

On Friday 11th November I flew ORD to LGA on United. I woke up this morning to check my return flight on 14th Nov LGA to ORD to find my flight had been cancelled. United refused to believe I was on the flight. The gate agent never "checked" me in. First off very scary that I am on a flight with no record.

United required that I pay the $200 change fee in order to reinstate my return flight. Has this ever happened to you?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
No, never happened to me before. And, I would have refused to pay the $200 you paid- it wasn't your fault the GA didn't properly board you.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
What status are you on UA? - if lower than 1K I would call customer care. Did you have checked bags? - if so that significantly helps your case to prove you were on the flight.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Boarding pass?

How did you receive your boarding pass? Electronically or printed? Wasn't it scanned at the gate?

That is your proof you were on the flight......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.