Wiki Posts
Search

reusing green gate check tags

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
reusing green gate check tags

Once upon a time a United Express employee gave me and other "local" 1K's a couple laminated green gate check tags. I have been using one for around 5 years.

Occasionally, a gate agent, always in DEN from my experience, claims that everyone needs a new green tag. So I take it off, get a new one to avoid any issues, and put it back on and good to go for another 6 months to a year.

Over 1/2 my segments are on United Express.

Anyone else reuse their green tags? Have any issues doing so?
Old May 9, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: United Global Services
i have reused mine many times. I think the key here is to make sure you still have the tear off part to match to your bag. This is why i typically get a new one. Basically the baggage handlers just look for the the "green" they don't look at the information on it. Frankly i have never even had to match the tear off to my bag, but guess in some circumstances someone with same bag, you may need to prove this is yours
Old May 9, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold; SPG/Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
I reuse them all the time as long as I keep the tear-away number in my briefcase. I've had zero issues doing this.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by u600213
Once upon a time a United Express employee gave me and other "local" 1K's a couple laminated green gate check tags. I have been using one for around 5 years.
Interesting . . . I saw one of those on the bag of a 1K (or GS) I sat next to on a flight to SFO last month. Was wondering about that . . . seemed like a pretty good idea, and probably better than the yellow handle wraps.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
my carry-on has dozens of them, all reused many times. I find it amusing when a GA puts one on for me, but doens't do anything with all the others already on there!
Old May 9, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I re-use mine...generally one for a round-trip. Never had an issue with it.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I take a picture of the stub with my phone for my records if needed. I use them over and over, and I fly out of DEN all the time.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I take a picture of the stub with my phone for my records if needed.
+1 Haven't had a problem ... yet ...
Old May 9, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I used a single green tag for 4 years, with probably 30 or so UAX flights. No issues.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I laminated one and used it for years. I kept the (also laminated) tear-off tag in my wallet. Worked great. I did this for the red tags on AA, as well.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
What about stations where the GA scans the green tag using the BP scanner? (Are there stations where they still do that? It's been a while since I've seen that process.)

Just wondering if that scan would generate an error message, since the tag had been used before.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've never seen them scan a green tag.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
I've never seen them scan a green tag.
You mean at the gate? I've seen it about 10% of the time.

OP - I reuse mine all the time but YYZ-IAD last week, the GA insisted I get a new one. That's the first time in months, though.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by deuce1
my carry-on has dozens of them, all reused many times. I find it amusing when a GA puts one on for me, but doens't do anything with all the others already on there!
How do the ground crews know which ones to scan?
Old May 12, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Maybe I'm the only one but..... I used to reuse my green tag. Then one flight (ATL-DEN) I'm waiting for my green tagged luggage and nothing. I go to the gate agent, she takes my stub and says your bag is in ELP. It really wasn't, it was still in ATL, but the information she had from the last scan made it much harder to actually find my bag and get it to me. Finally got to me a day later....

What made this extra fun when I got to the UA Baggage office to file a claim, and mentioned my meds were in my bag and she started to scold me how I should know better to put meds in checked baggage. I almost lit up on her but kept my cool and said, "I've always considered green tag as the same as a carry on, but since you are telling me you can lose those too...".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.