Community
Wiki Posts
Search

reusing green gate check tags

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
There is no issue with this, until, as poster above has said, UA loses your bag.

I always get a new one because then I have evidence I actually put a bag on the plane rather than just have a left-over green tag stub from a previous flight.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by c502cid
Maybe I'm the only one but..... I used to reuse my green tag. Then one flight (ATL-DEN) I'm waiting for my green tagged luggage and nothing. I go to the gate agent, she takes my stub and says your bag is in ELP. It really wasn't, it was still in ATL, but the information she had from the last scan made it much harder to actually find my bag and get it to me. Finally got to me a day later....

What made this extra fun when I got to the UA Baggage office to file a claim, and mentioned my meds were in my bag and she started to scold me how I should know better to put meds in checked baggage. I almost lit up on her but kept my cool and said, "I've always considered green tag as the same as a carry on, but since you are telling me you can lose those too...".
Them not scannning your bag in ATL was the problem. If you hadn't re used a tag, it would have just come back null. The same as taking a tag and not putting it on a bag and saying that they lost a bag.

It alll depends on them scanning bags since they actually don't control bags and tags like at check in.
Old May 12, 2017, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Folks, including myself, have done this for years --- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...heck-tags.html (2012)
Old May 12, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't happen to re-use mine. Went to the gate at ORD to ask for one ahead of boarding, in order to save some time; the GA apologized said that he had to tag it during the boarding process. I had never heard that before, but I sat back down and, sure enough, he tagged my bag -- and everybody else's -- as we got onto the plane.

I'm not sure what we would have done if I'd already had one, but I'm guessing he would have torn it off and replaced it.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't happen to re-use mine. Went to the gate at ORD to ask for one ahead of boarding, in order to save some time; the GA apologized said that he had to tag it during the boarding process. I had never heard that before, but I sat back down and, sure enough, he tagged my bag -- and everybody else's -- as we got onto the plane.

I'm not sure what we would have done if I'd already had one, but I'm guessing he would have torn it off and replaced it.
Potential weight and balance issue? Needed a number on bags before they were loaded?
Old May 12, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Potential weight and balance issue? Needed a number on bags before they were loaded?
I suppose that's possible. I'd never seen it before, though -- usually it's the other way around, with GAs either walking around the boarding area to distribute tags or making an announcement to come get one.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
I have used the same one over and over, but recently they started pulling the old ones off and giving me a new one. I also noticed that they have started to scan the green tags. I have never seen that before.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
Interesting . . . I saw one of those on the bag of a 1K (or GS) I sat next to on a flight to SFO last month. Was wondering about that . . . seemed like a pretty good idea, and probably better than the yellow handle wraps.
Agree...for all elites not just replacing the 1k handle wraps.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I re-use mine...generally one for a round-trip. Never had an issue with it.
Same here.

Originally Posted by c502cid
Maybe I'm the only one but..... I used to reuse my green tag. Then one flight (ATL-DEN) I'm waiting for my green tagged luggage and nothing. I go to the gate agent, she takes my stub and says your bag is in ELP. It really wasn't, it was still in ATL, but the information she had from the last scan made it much harder to actually find my bag and get it to me. Finally got to me a day later....

What made this extra fun when I got to the UA Baggage office to file a claim, and mentioned my meds were in my bag and she started to scold me how I should know better to put meds in checked baggage. I almost lit up on her but kept my cool and said, "I've always considered green tag as the same as a carry on, but since you are telling me you can lose those too...".
Interesting. Made me pause and rethink if I should be getting a new one every time. Had never thought about lost bags and what a nightmare this might be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.