Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Looking at the flight status, now, 10 minutes before departure. Flight status shows 12 seats, 0 booked, and 8 checked in. The only two on the waitlist are same two on the other lists. Business is full, and there is Economy available. There are only two non revs on standby. Curious to see if there name pops into F. I wonder if the 8 who were put into F were space required employees?
Old May 5, 2017, 12:36 pm

The number of blocked changed several times. My flight into SFO was heavily delayed, but I had another GS who got the Mercedes transfer as well. I think he was upgraded as he boarded from a different entrance. I was not. Can't really complain, but kind of annoying considering there are still open seats, and I had a three hour delay including deboarding because a FA got sick, and they had to bus in another one..

Last edited by dag16; May 5, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 12:59 pm

ok, true numbers for this are:

F 12 Cap, 0 Bkd, 2 Held
J 52 Cap, 57 Bkd
Y 310 Cap, 283 Bkd
Old May 5, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
On US carriers (well, AA and UA), Int'l F is almost an exclusive employee and FAM cabin, with occasional upgraders filling in the seats. NRSAs will occupy these empty seats.
I'm on UA895 ORD-HKG now in F. I bought the ticket about a month ago, and got the last revenue seat. I bought an expensive D class (no P or Z available) and upgraded to F with a GPU. Every one of the eight pax is a paid pax, either full F or biz+CPU or miles+ca$h. I'm flying 895 again in a few weeks, and in the same situation. I find this to be a frequent pattern on many of the UA three-cabin routes to/from Asia.

Last edited by wxguy; May 5, 2017 at 2:16 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by runner450
ok, true numbers for this are:

F 12 Cap, 0 Bkd, 2 Held
J 52 Cap, 57 Bkd
Y 310 Cap, 283 Bkd
Very helpful, thanks.

I checked flight status after they closed the flight, and J went out booked 49/52. 8 pax cleared into F, can't tell how many were non-revs vs. op-ups.
Old May 5, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by wxguy
I'm on UA895 ORD-HKG now in F. I bought the ticket about a month ago, and got the last revenue seat. I bought an expensive D class (no P or Z available) and upgraded to F with a GPU. Every one of the eight pax is a paid pax, either full F or biz+CPU or miles+ca$h. I'm flying 895 again in a few weeks, and in the same situation. I find this to be a frequent pattern on many of the UA three-cabin routes to/from Asia.
This really makes me wonder if UA is doing the right thing removing F on all the three-class international routes.....
Old May 5, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
This really makes me wonder if UA is doing the right thing removing F on all the three-class international routes.....
I would assume they have more data than we do to make the decision. Whether they interpret it correctly or not is another question. If they hired me to be their CFO, I would ensure the right decisions were made and wouldn't forget all the intangible factors when doing the analysis. Their current spreadsheet mentality only works if you don't forget the things that most finance people exclude because they don't know how to quantify it.
DCFlyIAD likes this.
Old May 5, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by deskover54
I would assume they have more data than we do to make the decision. Whether they interpret it correctly or not is another question. If they hired me to be their CFO, I would ensure the right decisions were made and wouldn't forget all the intangible factors when doing the analysis. Their current spreadsheet mentality only works if you don't forget the things that most finance people exclude because they don't know how to quantify it.
+1000

Absolutely right. If the IM and Finance people can’t quantify it, they treat it as unimportant. Back when UA had a competitive International F product, everyone I knew who flew UA J regularly for business cited upgrades into F as the number one reason for choosing UA.

Another problem is that quant jocks can’t measure long term effects. They know precisely how to maximize revenue on any given flight, but they have zero idea how to how to maximize revenue from a specific customer over a one year period... to say nothing of a 3 or 5 year period.

Further, UA began formulating the decision to downsize/eliminate F while the world was still in recession. For anyone who has flown Interntional F regularly and recently on any non-US carrier, it is blindingly obvious that UA is now on the wrong side of that trend.

And... UA made their decision to elminate F at a point when their F product has deteriorated into a dillapidated state. UA used to have by far and away the best hard and soft F product across the Pacific. They didn’t keep up and stay competitive. I recently flew US>HKG in CX F. (BTW - no empty seats and no non-revs.) Anyone who has a choice and would fly F in UA over CX or NH or OZ or SQ or JL, etc is a daft moron. Of course they can’t sell their F product. Duh. So instead they make up some fantasy about declining demand for F and how everyone will be totally satisfied with their Polaris coffin inspired seats.

And finally does UA really think that when the Execs at companies with UA corporate contracts start flying F on foreign carriers that it will have no impact on what carrier other people in those companies choose.

Last edited by 5khours; May 5, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
Very helpful, thanks.

I checked flight status after they closed the flight, and J went out booked 49/52. 8 pax cleared into F, can't tell how many were non-revs vs. op-ups.
Don't NRSAs show cleared and op-ups don't (keep the original fare class)?
Old May 5, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Don't NRSAs show cleared and op-ups don't (keep the original fare class)?
NRSA and NRPS (there were both) will show as cleared. Not sure about op-ups.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
In terms of op-up, there is no scientic data and just my personal experience:

I have never been op-up on oversold J flights when I am on the upper deck, but I have an excellent record being op-up from paid J to F when I am sitting in the main deck of 744 or on the 777/767 three-class aircrafts.
Are you saying the likelihood of an Op-Up differs according to where in J you sit?
I only did PEK-SFO three times in the last 18 months or so, and only Op-Up was to 1K in F from seat 14A in J.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:21 am

You may also get an upgrade at random - I received one from MUC to ORD a few months ago (see screenshot). Was in paid J, only Premier Silver so no upgrade vouchers to use, but received an email the day before the flight.
Attached Images  
Old May 6, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Very helpful, thanks.

If there were three empty seats in business (assuming that all seats were operable) shouldn't this mean that there were no OPUPs into FC?
Old May 8, 2017, 7:29 am

Very helpful, thanks.

0 op ups J --> F for 888-05
Old May 8, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NRSA and NRPS (there were both) will show as cleared. Not sure about op-ups.
On the flight status page, I believe op-ups do not show as cleared, but they do count in the 'booked' total. If you're trying to track, the clearest indicator might be seeing the 'booked' count go up at ≈T-2.5 but no names added to the list. That's obviously easy to miss, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.