Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Hitting the 4 UA Metal Segment Requirement - how to find cheapest option?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
be aware they run that lovely Dash Q-300 on this route and tends to cancel if the sun is shining too hard
CAn you get ORC if they do?
Old May 5, 2017, 8:50 am

May 17 - Ashville - $138.80.

Anyway, possibilities are endless. I assume you want to fly soon to get Gold for the remainder of the year - play with Google flights on days you can take off easily. Best to look for flights where the plane turns - you won't miss connection that way. And personally I'd pay a bit more for a shorter flight - FLL/PBI are longer flights, which I'd avoid.

2:35 pm New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty) Arriving 4:30 pm Asheville, NC, US (AVL) Number of stopsNonstop
New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty)Asheville, NC, US (AVL)Duration1h 55m totalShow on-time performanceFlight segments
FLIGHT UA 100 Aircraft type Boeing 737-700 Revise flight

Wed, May 17, 2017
Departing 5:13 pm Asheville, NC, US (AVL) Arriving 7:07 pm New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty) Number of stopsNonstop
Asheville, NC, US (AVL)New York/Newark, NJ, US (EWR - Liberty)Duration1h 54m totalShow on-time performanceFlight segments
FLIGHT UA 39 Aircraft type Boeing 737-700
Old May 5, 2017, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
May 17 - Ashville - $138.80.

Anyway, possibilities are endless. I assume you want to fly soon to get Gold for the remainder of the year - play with Google flights on days you can take off easily. Best to look for flights where the plane turns - you won't miss connection that way. And personally I'd pay a bit more for a shorter flight - FLL/PBI are longer flights, which I'd avoid.
Thanks for this - I was able to book the Ashville flight for the day before, May 16 (to coordinate with my work schedule)!

Just to double check, if I booked with Chase Sapphire points (on the Sapphire portal) and on United, it says I qualify for PQM/PQD, then I'm good, right? It's a G fare, if that helps.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hardworking21
Just to double check, if I booked with Chase Sapphire points (on the Sapphire portal) and on United, it says I qualify for PQM/PQD, then I'm good, right? It's a G fare, if that helps.
As long as it didn't book into Basic Economy you're fine.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
You should be good (bold is important). Double check that the receipt also shows an amount paid and PQD earnings.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
As long as it didn't book into Basic Economy you're fine.
It is definitely there -- for the OP's EWR-AVL it is $108 for BE, $139 for G fare
Old May 5, 2017, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It is definitely there -- for the OP's EWR-AVL it is $108 for BE, $139 for G fare
I've attached screenshots from UA confirmation page + receipt ... does this look good? A little paranoid because I shifted from May 17 to 16, and G fare appeared to be $108...(at least, I paid $108 and received G fare as according to UA website / receipt). Thanks in advance!
Attached Images   
Old May 5, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've attached screenshots from UA confirmation page + receipt ... does this look good? A little paranoid because I shifted from May 17 to 16, and G fare appeared to be $108...(at least, I paid $108 and received G fare as according to UA website / receipt). Thanks in advance!
You should be fine. It's definitely not Basic Economy - the other worry is that Chase is capable of issuing BULK tickets which do not earn PQD, but if that were the case you should not have a receipt showing earnings.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A little paranoid because I shifted from May 17 to 16,
Other than that the receipt is for the 15th, not the 16th...
Old May 5, 2017, 2:39 pm
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Just a question, what is the point of doing something like this so early in the year? Wouldn't it be worth it to just wait until you have to fly somewhere you actually need to go (pleasure/business) during the year?

Don't mean to offend, just want to know why people do these kinds of runs so early in the year.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Oops, meant 15th, good catch sbm12.

And bulgarianfreak55, fair question. I travel monthly for work in Business Class from NYC to Europe, fairly exclusively on Lufthansa partners. However, we always book on United stock to maximize MP earning potential. I realized that by getting to Gold sooner, I can gain a substantial amount of additional award miles, plus have Star gold benefits when I travel throughout Europe (on Economy fares).
Old May 5, 2017, 3:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
Just a question, what is the point of doing something like this so early in the year? Wouldn't it be worth it to just wait until you have to fly somewhere you actually need to go (pleasure/business) during the year? ....
to get status now, if new to that status level. And status that would be usable for non-UA flights. In this case international lounge access, bag waiver, ....

Originally Posted by sbm12
Other than that the receipt is for the 15th, not the 16th...
Oops, meant 15th, good catch sbm12. .
Good thing, because that fare on the 15th is G but on the 16th it is N. BE does not start until the 16th on the route and as has occured eslewhere N is the some as the pre-BE lowest fare, G, in this case. And G is bumped up $15 each way.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 5, 2017 at 3:24 pm Reason: self-merge
Old May 5, 2017, 3:36 pm

Yep - when I found it on Google Flights, $108 popped up, and I realized that was BE.

There's also a morning flight/return to Knoxville for the same price (or was for 17th when I checked).
Old May 5, 2017, 3:37 pm

Oops, meant 15th, good catch sbm12.

And bulgarianfreak55, fair question. I travel monthly for work in Business Class from NYC to Europe, fairly exclusively on Lufthansa partners. However, we always book on United stock to maximize MP earning potential. I realized that by getting to Gold sooner, I can gain a substantial amount of additional award miles, plus have Star gold benefits when I travel throughout Europe (on Economy fares).
Enjoy the LH lounges!
Old May 5, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
to get status now, if new to that status level. And status that would be usable for non-UA flights. In this case international lounge access, bag waiver, ....

Good thing, because that fare on the 15th is G but on the 16th it is N. BE does not start until the 16th on the route and as has occured eslewhere N is the some as the pre-BE lowest fare, G, in this case. And G is bumped up $15 each way.
Ugh. Thus endeth the great MRs. All of them will become N. But that's a different forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.