Wiki Posts
Search

Use of outlets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Use of outlets

Nothing like losing an upgrade because the first flight is two hours late only to end up in the middle seat between a couple who already have both outlets occupied. They complained they weren't working. I see no reason to explain that they won't until the plane is in the air. I offered to change seats but they like where they are.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat and MM
YEAAAHHH... been there, too... always have your short multi-outlet extension cord handy... two phones or low wattage PCs are not a problem for one outlet. I ALWAYS travel with my 20000 mAh battery pack... works even behind E+ or international metal, and gets you days of charges. Amazon for 30 bucks
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I see no reason to explain that they won't until the plane is in the air.
So I guess being polite and helpful to inexperienced travelers now requires a reason?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Small 3-outlet adapter

I always carry a 3-tap outlet like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-Outl...8368/203744664

Tends to solve the issue you describe. Also good when the outlet happens to be positioned so the cord pokes into your leg...turns into a right-angle to prevent that. Takes almost no space in my bag, and I think I bought mine at WalMart for around $2.50.

I also carry a HKG/SIN outlet adapter...the thicker prongs help when the outlets are old and loose.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So I guess being polite and helpful to inexperienced travelers now requires a reason?
I didn't need to use the outlet. I saw no reason to be helpful to people who saw nothing wrong with hogging them. This is a couple. One would think they might only need one phone fully charged.

They weren't particularly happy to see me in the first place. Guessing they planned for an empty middle.

I'm in the middle because my actual gpu upgrade that I got went bye-bye because my first flight was two hours late. But the snack box and drink was helpful.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by wh6cto
I always carry a 3-tap outlet like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-3-Outl...8368/203744664

Tends to solve the issue you describe. Also good when the outlet happens to be positioned so the cord pokes into your leg...turns into a right-angle to prevent that. Takes almost no space in my bag, and I think I bought mine at WalMart for around $2.50.

I also carry a HKG/SIN outlet adapter...the thicker prongs help when the outlets are old and loose.
+1, it comes in very handy ANY time an outlet is full, in flight or at a gate. I have never yet had someone refuse to let me plug it in, and then share the current that they were solely able to use prior to my arrival on scene. Also, my iphone plug almost always falls out of UA in seat outlets, so this is almost always necessary even when there is no one to share the current with...

I didn't need to use the outlet. I saw no reason to be helpful to people who saw nothing wrong with hogging them. This is a couple. One would think they might only need one phone fully charged.
C'mon. Really? There is no reason that a couple should resort to choosing who gets the full battery and who doesn't just to accommodate someone who hasn't yet arrived at the outlet, and who may not even need it. (I don't use it on every flight) Perhaps, upon arrival on scene, you could ask that once their phones are at a reasonable level of charge that would get them to their destination or next charging location safely, if one of them would consider letting you charge your device as well, seeing that none of you travel with a splitter as shown above.

Or maybe they would have said no, because they were really hogging the outlet. I dunno.

Also, my wife and I often sit aisle and window and as anyone would we HOPE for an empty middle like a unicorn. But we would gladly share if asked nicely. But if asked, or told, with attitude - we might just decide we need the entire flight worth of juice. Just sayin' our reaction would be in the same manner in which it was given...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
You didn't succeed playing a round of Unite The Couple? :P

I am surprised that they don't announce that the outlets don't work all the time and usually work only when laptops and other large electronics are allowed. I always see lots of people trying the outlets and thinking they just don't work because they are trying too soon.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:11 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
+1 amazing how unfriendly the skies are these day. Just because our attendants aren't only makes it so easy for the rest of us. What goes around comes around...

Maybe a smile and helpful tidbit might earn a smile and a nice return gesture.

There was a nice TV commercial about that a while ago, the world and flying in cramp spaces would surely improve.

Fly and smile... might make you live longer and be happier too 😉
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So let me get this straight. The couple was there first, they happened to be using both outlets. You come along in the middle seat, don't need the outlet, so they are hogging the outlets. They don't understand why they don't work and you decide you won't say anything because they are hogging the outlets. How do you know that they wouldn't have shared at some point in the flight. Especially if you had been nice enough to inform them that they get turned on after getting airborne at about 10,000 ft. Sounds like you were just being very grouchy because you ended up in the middle on another flight after losing your GPU upgrade from previous flight. Understandable but no need to take it out on the other people.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:00 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
This is a couple. One would think they might only need one phone fully charged..
What a silly comment.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Nothing like losing an upgrade because the first flight is two hours late only to end up in the middle seat between a couple who already have both outlets occupied. They complained they weren't working. I see no reason to explain that they won't until the plane is in the air. I offered to change seats but they like where they are.
whay aircraft was this? I ask, because on most of my domestic flights, the power does work on the ground, even though you can't have them plugged in for take off/landing. Maybe it's a thing where some crews turn them off and down don't, but I almost always see the green light on, at least on 737s, when at the gate, when taxiing and even in the initial ascent and final decent. Actually never understood why it's not like the Gogo wifi that automatically shuts off at 10,000 feet.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAzip
You didn't succeed playing a round of Unite The Couple? :P

I am surprised that they don't announce that the outlets don't work all the time and usually work only when laptops and other large electronics are allowed. I always see lots of people trying the outlets and thinking they just don't work because they are trying too soon.
This is a composite response. They were there about a minute before I realized I was in D instead of B and moved over. The man in the aisle seat hadn't sat down. I politely asked if they wanted to sit together. I got attitude from them. They liked what they had and besides "they had been traveling" when I asked if they needed both outlets.

I am a nice person. I am the person who gave the ticket to the person who needed to get her father to a cancer trial. Earlier in the day, while stuck in North Bend, I helped a woman call the person picking her up to notify her about the continuing delays.

But, by all means, think I am awful for not helping these poor people understand about how the outlets work.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
whay aircraft was this? I ask, because on most of my domestic flights, the power does work on the ground, even though you can't have them plugged in for take off/landing. Maybe it's a thing where some crews turn them off and down don't, but I almost always see the green light on, at least on 737s, when at the gate, when taxiing and even in the initial ascent and final decent. Actually never understood why it's not like the Gogo wifi that automatically shuts off at 10,000 feet.
On the 737 the outlets are disabled with the sterile cockpit (blue) light is on.

On departure, this is from the after-start checklist (after pushback, shortly before taxi) until the 10,000' double-chime.

On arrival it is from the 10,000' double-chime until parked at the gate.

Also, the non-Gogo internet on the 737s is active from the beginning of pushback until parking at the gate (except when deicing is needed prior to takeoff).
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

I just travel with one of these bad boys. USB C PD and regular USB ports. Will fast charge anything from my Pixel to my iPad Pro.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are 2 outlets for 3 seats. As a group of 3 people you're supposed to be mature enough to figure out how to make that work for the group. Beyond that there are no rules like families only get one or the middle seat gets priority.

So many ways to easily solve the "problem" presented other than kvetch on FT.
kennycrudup likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.