Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Wrong herschel duffle taken on united flight from austin to newark

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrong herschel duffle taken on united flight from austin to newark

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: United: 1K
I accidentally took someone else's identical bag (purchased from Costco) at an international destination. Whoops, women's shoes, that isn't right. Back to the terminal the next morning where they had my bag and got the bag I took back to the owner. Both our bags were tagged, I was just in a rush and grabbed "my" bag.

How do I know that it got to the owner? Because on my return from that international destination weeks later I saw that same bag on the same flight I was on, I left it alone the second time.

It happens, don't worry about being put in handcuffs. Return it to the airline. If they want you to take it someplace else they'll tell you where. It only took that one time for me to double check my bags from then on.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you Gaylord Focker?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:25 pm

this is the plot line of "What's Up Doc?" one of my favorite movies as a child!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hopefully there weren't any heads in the bag
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
"Many bags look alike"

I try to put as much 'bling' on my bag (colored handle covers, name tags, red "remove before launch" ribbons) to help me pick out my bag from all the others... My new rollerboard is even pale green, rather than black...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
this is the plot line of "What's Up Doc?" one of my favorite movies as a child!
You just forced me to rent this from iTunes. All I remember is something with a motor home full of cattle.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I try not to check my bags, but on some of the long trips to London where I have formal events to attend, I check a bag.

The accidental switch happened to me a while ago, but I eventually got my black Tumi bag back from the guy who took mine. Then I switched to a green Tumi bag, and it happened to me again. My bag was returned to me almost immediately.

Maybe I should buy a pink bag? I don't see very many pinks on the baggage carousel.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Thinking I was safe for a long Europe trip, I bought a large bright green bag at TJ Maxx. Landing in Stockholm, my bag came out first with the Priority Tag and proceeded to take the hour taxi ride or so to the center of town. Got to hotel, unzipped bag and (of course everyone knew what was coming), it is not my bag. Immediately called United how got me to the baggage claim at Stockholm where another person had my bag. He was staying near my hotel so he got to town and we switched bags.

Funny ending to the story is that he bought the bag at the exact same TJ Maxx in Cleveland where I bought it. And he was on my same flight from Cleveland to Newark and Newark to Stockholm. He lives less than 5 miles from me. We are now friends and hang out several times a year. Life is strange.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
Funny ending to the story is that he bought the bag at the exact same TJ Maxx in Cleveland where I bought it. And he was on my same flight from Cleveland to Newark and Newark to Stockholm. He lives less than 5 miles from me. We are now friends and hang out several times a year. Life is strange.
You can probably even borrow each other's luggage in a pinch.

I travel with purple bags (rollaboard and larger suitcase), with ribbons tied to the handles. That yellow handle wrap is simply not enough to keep my rollaboard safe from potentially unwitting absent-minded fellow 1K's, lapsed 1K's, and 1K wannabes.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
What a great story. Not as good as the Streisand movie, but still...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.