Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sept. 2016: Another passenger "ripped" from her Business Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sept. 2016: Another passenger "ripped" from her Business Seat

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I'm still confused as what the purpose of the miles was. Can one use MP miles or Amex points to pay for E+ or to pay for a flight change?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I'm still confused as what the purpose of the miles was. Can one use MP miles or Amex points to pay for E+ or to pay for a flight change?
You could charge the transaction to an AmEx and then pay the AmEx bill with points. Otherwise, no.

ETA: Even paying for a new award ticket rather than a new cash ticket or changing the original cash ticket it is hard for me to believe that 60k points + $498 is the correct rate. A one-way to UK would be ~$100 in fees (assuming close-in booking charge on Standard Award) and a r/t would be ~$300 (APD, PFCs, booking fee) for a saver Y award. Maybe a r/t plus E+ seat assignment fees the r/t flight comes to $500ish in fees plus the 60k points??

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 25, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by findark
The complaint has been publicly filed by the Manhattan court: link

Pretty clear the aircraft was an sCO 752, and she paid $1,149 for an at-checkin upsell offer which booked into 1B. According to the complaint she paid "approximately 60,000 American Express MileagePlus miles ... and $498.56 in fees" to change her flight from September 5, 2017 [sic] to September 10, 2016 and "a window seat in the 'Economy Plus' cabin".

[...]
They conveniently don't have any documentation of the "American Express MileagePlus Miles".
IANAL, but is it typical that lawyers are so sloppy with facts such as dates (wrong year) and "Amex MP miles"?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Rich kid and her attorney parents, plus her legal counsel should fact check a little before filing the linked filing. So many holes, where to begin??? American Express MileagePlus? Doesn't exist, the relationship is with Chase, although you can use American Express points for virtually anything, however MileagePlus is not affiliated with American Express. She was downgraded back to Economy Plus, as 21B is an Exit Row seat with extra legroom and considered part of E+. Downgrades, while rare, do happen and the last to get the upgrade is the first to be moved back if a FAM needs the seat for example, or at least that is what I have experienced. Did she receive a refund of her upgrade amount to 1B? Did she bother to call UA to request a refund? With regard to language used by any United Employee; not once have I encountered this, even when I have been confrontational because of a disagreement with staff.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
IANAL, but is it typical that lawyers are so sloppy with facts such as dates (wrong year) and "Amex MP miles"?
And multiple typos in the summons...

Is it strange that the ETC is issued the day after the flight? If it was an 8PM flight, wouldn't the ETC be issued the same day (10 Sept)?

Last edited by laxmillenial; Apr 25, 2017 at 1:20 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Did she receive a refund of her upgrade amount to 1B? Did she bother to call UA to request a refund? With regard to language used by any United Employee; not once have I encountered this, even when I have been confrontational because of a disagreement with staff.
Allegedly no, and UA ignored requests (all emphasis original):

27. Despite being notified about this incident, has failed to reimburse Plaintiff for the value of her two [sic] upgrades.

28. Indeed United apparently does not consider its breaches and ill treatment of passengers to be worth of any attention at all. United was formally advised, in writing, twice, of the facts and circumstances described herein, on December 19, 2016 and again on April 13, 2017, including a courtesy copy of this complaint, which to date United has simply ignored.
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Is it strange that the ETC is issued the day after the flight? If it was an 8PM flight, wouldn't the ETC be issued the same day (10 Sept)?
Maybe it was issued in LHR? Based on carrier data from the screenshot and the phone's date it would seem that she flew the flight and only took a picture of her 1B boarding pass after arriving in LHR. But this does contradict plaintiff's story as to the voucher being offered on the ground in EWR.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
We're all parsing some inconsistencies and perhaps misstatements in the newspaper, but its' more than obvious from the exhibits attached to the complaint that at the very least, UA screwed this young woman by taking $1,149 in cash from her at check-in and then instead of refunding it with the downgrade, gave her a $750 voucher. I'd be pretty pissed if it was me, disregarding the alleged vulgar name calling and physical handling.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:13 pm

I'm still stuck on the $500 and nearly 60k AMEX/mileage plus to "upgrade" to e+....

Is it possible that this stretch of reality wasn't an "upgrade to E+", but rather the change fee and new ticket price difference to change her flight from 9/5 to 9/10 depart? and that in the process she was booked into E+? wagering that she "paid" for the tix change and diff in fare (in all ~$500) using AMEX points, and is double-claiming the charge for the sake of the suit...
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hughw
We're all parsing some inconsistencies and perhaps misstatements in the newspaper, but its' more than obvious from the exhibits attached to the complaint that at the very least, UA screwed this young woman by taking $1,149 in cash from her at check-in and then instead of refunding it with the downgrade, gave her a $750 voucher. I'd be pretty pissed if it was me, disregarding the alleged vulgar name calling and physical handling.
We are parsing the mistakes and inconsistencies in the court filing.

And whether UA screwed this woman out of $1149 is a claim that isn't proven yet, as far as I can tell.

Surprised there was no exhibit proving the attempts to request a refund that the lawsuit alludes to.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Allow me to show how many defects in this complaint:

1. Who cares if Plaintiff graduated from Columbia? Irrelevant.

2. It is "King's College" at London, United Kingdom. Does the lawyer mean London, KY?

3. UA only operates in Queens. But filing a complaint at Manhattan court? Also, the flight was EWR-LHR, which EWR is located in New Jeresy. Why would a New York State Court in Manhattan has jurisdiction for issues in New Jeresy, or a defendant doing business in Queens?

4. First Cause - nothing was mentioned how intentional UA was.

5. Second Cause - Preempted by federal law.

6. Third Cause - Although UA bears the burden of proof, was she really a "c**t" or not?

7. Fifth Cause - Preempted by federal law.

8. Sixth Cause - Unjust enrichment is NOT a cause of action.

The outcome of this lawsuit? Dismissal without prejudice (lack of jurisdiction).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:54 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by pruss2ny
I'm still stuck on the $500 and nearly 60k AMEX/mileage plus to "upgrade" to e+....

Is it possible that this stretch of reality wasn't an "upgrade to E+", but rather the change fee and new ticket price difference to change her flight from 9/5 to 9/10 depart? and that in the process she was booked into E+? wagering that she "paid" for the tix change and diff in fare (in all ~$500) using AMEX points, and is double-claiming the charge for the sake of the suit...
I think your right; however it may be that she had enough points to cover all ( change fee, fare difference and seating in economy plus) but $500 which she paid in cash. It was probably stated this way because she never went out of pocket for the portion paid with points although to United it would appear to be a cash sale.

As to the lawyers or would be lawyers in the crowd, under notice pleading I can't imagine this complaint being thrown out on those grounds.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I smell so much BS with this complaint. To many of the more seasoned travelers on FT, this is a clear downgrade situation (reasons unknown). We can all speculate on the situation and the reasons, but the real info will not come out unless there is a trial.

Since everything reported so far has been a one sided story, it is entirely possible that MANY facts are being left out by the plaintiff, as they would not support her cause. Unless she has corroborating witnesses for some of the allegations, much of the complaint reads as puffery.

I was watching a news story the other day & the commentator was saying that although Dr Dao was going to receive a large settlement, UA would not go to the moon because it would give others the impression that UA was a pinata that they could hit and money would come out.

Well, this young lady is just taking her swing to see what she can get.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Since when does it cost points and $500 to move into E+?

Story doesn't add up IMO. Unless she confused upgrading to business, then upgrading again to first.
Yeah, $500 + points for E+?!

Which would have been refunded FWIW with a buy up to C, albeit sometimes only after prodding UA.

Originally Posted by spin88
That has to be perhaps the worst photo I have seen. It makes me think she is badly hung over, or worse....

But the take away is not anything about her, or her experience, it is that it is now open season on United in specific, and more generally airlines. ^ AA appears to have recognized this, United, not so much. ...

I think this is what happened. My understanding is that many of the EWR-LHR routes are on 3 cabin 763s. So (a) she paid for Y, and then upgraded to J with miles and $500 (sound right to me) (b) at the airport she upgraded J to F with $$$, and was in 1B (a GF seat). My understanding is that you are not technically allowed to do this - double upgrade. I can see some over-entitled EWR GA playing god, seeing the double upgrade and sending poor smack addled teen to Y. Probably more likely than not.
Wouldn't be the first time an agent tried to police this and make the airline look bad if true.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Important to note: Happened September of last year (2016).
Tough luck for UA. They've been playing this game for years. And it was for a friggin' UA employee too.

I hope UA loses this case too.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
Tough luck for UA. They've been playing this game for years. And it was for a friggin' UA employee too.

I hope UA loses this case too.
Where did you get that it was for a UA employee?? I have not read or seen that anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.