Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: StarAlliance Gold, 1K, Marriott Platinum
That is so awesome that BE is N class ... that way when I book N on Lufthansa (Premium Economy) I can tell accounting it was BE :P
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
The largest inconvenience with BE fares is not being able to self check-in, unless you pay for a checked bag. If you are only taking a carry on, you must check in at the airport, and even kiosk check-in is held until an agent swipes their card.

Having to arrive at the airport 60 minutes in advance (or paying $25 for a self check-in pass) is something that should be disclosed at purchase.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Having to arrive at the airport 60 minutes in advance (or paying $25 for a self check-in pass) is something that should be disclosed at purchase.
And this punishes all pax, because it will make the check-in lines longer for all of us.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
The largest inconvenience with BE fares is not being able to self check-in, unless you pay for a checked bag. If you are only taking a carry on, you must check in at the airport, and even kiosk check-in is held until an agent swipes their card.

Wait, what? You can't check in yourself on a BE fare? That's the first I've heard of that policy... $25 to self-check in? I can't find that fee anywhere.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
$25 to self-check in? I can't find that fee anywhere.
The reports are you can't check in online with a BE fare unless you pay in advance for a checked bag. Which costs $25. Apparently the rationale is they want you to see an agent prior to security to ensure you're aware of the carry-on rules.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The reports are you can't check in online with a BE fare unless you pay in advance for a checked bag. Which costs $25. Apparently the rationale is they want you to see an agent prior to security to ensure you're aware of the carry-on rules.
Getting people to pay for bags online will actually make check in lines move faster.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by fly18725
Getting people to pay for bags online will actually make check in lines move faster.
Right. Just giving the customer another choice. #unitedcustomerfriendly
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
That is so bizarre. Even Spirit Airlines lets you check in at a kiosk with carry-on only. They're not that stupid.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Kacee
How about DL and AA? Do they allow self-check in on their equivalent BE fares?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
How about DL and AA? Do they allow self-check in on their equivalent BE fares?
If its about the carry-on rules, then it shouldn't matter on DL. Their E fares allows regular size carry ons (in theory....anyway, but being part of the last boarding group means in reality, it is likely often gate-checked).

Don't know about AA, but experience there is probably much more limited at this point, as at least in the routes I've looked, they're not offering those fares yet - certainly not rolled out to the extent that UA has.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Now, the UA BE fare is matched to the AA "regular fare, but the UA FF earning fare is $20 more OW. So in my case, there IS a $40 FF loyalty tax for a RT. The ONLY thing keeping me from looking for greener pastures is my high CPU rate by traveling midweek. Otherwise, I would definitely be evaluating a new carrier.
Fair enough, but you realize this is exactly the behavior UA wants, right? You're voting with your wallet and saying BE fares work. For you it may be your CPU rate; for somebody else it may be the free checked bags, but end of the day you'll pay the tax.

Not trying to be critical, but the sad truth is most people are going to vote with their wallet and from what I've seen so far the votes are all in favor of BE.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is anyone else getting the BE fare as the result on Google Flights? I am noticing the cheapest UA fares show up with a 'Carry-On bags restricted' warning, which seems to be BE...
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is anyone else getting the BE fare as the result on Google Flights? I am noticing the cheapest UA fares show up with a 'Carry-On bags restricted' warning, which seems to be BE...
Yes that's BE.

And talk about crazy . . . I was pricing SFO-SAN on Google Flights yesterday, and it returned a $333 OW BE fare. UA was also offering a fully flexible E fare for the exact same price, but Google Flights nonetheless defaulted to the BE fare.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is it in all markets now? I had time before my flight at ORD and was sitting watching boarding for an SFO flight to see what G5 was like but there was no one in the line nor came up when called.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Is it in all markets now?...
Not Hawaii (yet). Tried variety of destinations - BE kinda looks available contiguous U.S. plus Alaska. Not Mexico/Canada/Hawaii. I don't see why UA doesn't offer it in all markets - it's basically a fare increase.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 10, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.