Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

United Continental says CEO Oscar Munoz won't become chairman as planned

Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FWAAA
From a corporate governance standpoint, I agree with capitalists like Warren Buffett who believe that CEOs should generally NOT chair the board.
I thought the Smisek experience proved once and for all how foolhardy it is to concentrate CEO and Chair power in a single figure. The BOD has to be a check on the CEO.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
I thought the Smisek experience proved once and for all how foolhardy it is to concentrate CEO and Chair power in a single figure. The BOD has to be a check on the CEO.
Completely agree. Smisek is a textbook example. The CEO works for the board and that employee should not exercise any influence over the board.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
So Munoz won't get the UAL chairman title in 2018. Apparently enough of the.board of directors must think it's CEO needs a check since the original plan was for him to become Chairman & CEO in 2018.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Win-win situation. Oscar is good with employees NOT the board.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
CEO (or President) as Chairman is a bad corporate governance policy anyway. Needs to be independent.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Cool

Originally Posted by username
The CO vs. UA debate again I did not fly CO enough to tell but I do know, whether in F or Y, I have a better chance of staying hydrated if the crew is pmUA

There is definitely something seriously wrong with how the company trains its employees. Some examples:

1 - the GS/1K free food/drink thing is now mostly for us to ask and occasionally argue for our free food. A well-intentioned move from the top and totally botched in execution

2 - I asked 3 different employees at the same Service Center in ORD about Weather/ATC hotel/meal for 1K and got back 3 different answers - ranging from a firm NO to a firm YES.

If they can't even get these simple things right for GS/1K, what can they get right for regular passengers?

A lot of us here hated Smisek and I think expected too much from Oscar. I am pretty sure POLARIS was planned in the Smisek era and the October MP rule changes were probably started during Oscar's watch. Personality-wise, Oscar seems a lot more approachable. Even pmCO employees did not like Smisek on that front.

Whatever happened with memo-gate, I think this is probably a compromise and having him continue to lead might not be the best idea. However, we are not aiming to have the best airline either and Kirby might not be friend to us either.
I have always received free food/drinks as a 1K but I fly mainly on legacy UA routes. Much better treatment from legacy UA crews.

The UA culture toward ordinary fliers was never very positive, but elites were treated very well until Smisek destroyed that culture (ease of upgrades--I could find alternative upgrades at airports such as FRA and NRT by asking what was available, eae of rebooking, etc until Jeff outlawed such practices as part of his war on "overentitled elites." Right after the merger SWUs as they were known became useless--as a GA told me when an IAD-NRT flight took off with 6 empty C seats (I was number 3 on the upgrade list; on the connecting NRT-SIN flight my seatmate also did not clear and he had his secretary cancel $500K of paid C/F international flights the same day).

COdbaUA lost a lot of business. I had little choice, but the big winner was AA. Don't folks remember that and remember why so many cheered when Smisek was forced out? Don't give me stories about the CO culture. I've lived through it. Alas, it seems to be coming back.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Win-win situation. Oscar is good with employees NOT the board.
Wrong. Typo. You meant to say Oscar is good with the unions. Not the board. And has ZERO Pr.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.